1987.07.09 Xenon West, Ventura, CA

early daze
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1987.07.09 Xenon West, Ventura, CA

Post by Mike »

Here's another new show for the Jane's tour listing. :cool:

07/09/1986 - Xenon West, Ventura, CA

While the following flyers do not offer enough information to be 100% certain of the year this show took place I think that via the process of elimination we can be relatively sure this show took place in 1986.

We know Jane's had gigs on the following dates:
07/09/1987 - Kennel Club, San Francisco, CA
07/09/1988 - Scream at the Park Plaza Hotel, Los Angeles, CA

By 1989 Jane's were to big to play a small venue like Xenon West.

In addition to figuring out the year of this show there was also the matter of the venue.
Neither of the flyers have the venue's name on them but luckily the gentleman (Davie Holifield) also had the venue's business card included with his photos.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/ ... ent%20pix/
Last edited by Mike on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed year from 1986 to 1987
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Brabo
Luddite

Re: 1986.07.09 Xenon West, Ventura, CA

Post by Brabo »

Hey guys.. Things may not be as clear-cut as you thought. A couple years ago, I got into a mail exchange with a well-respected Belgian alternative radio show host. I'd read in an interview how she'd spent some time in LA when she was in her teens. She mentioned one of the formative events of her youth was watching Jane's Addiction play there in their original line-up.. Of course I wanted to know more and this is what came up:

"Ik heb Jane's Addiction in de Xenon Club gezien in Ventura, CA. Staat niet in het lijstje. Moet in juli of augustus van 1987 geweest zijn."

which translates to

"I've seen Jane's Addiction play at the Xenon Club in Ventura, CA. It's not listed [on the list with known shows at the time in 2005]. It must have been in july or august 1987."

So I came looking here to see if I could maybe find audio or sth to send to her cause she'd been nice enough to talk to me about who owns the rights to a 2002 pro-shot show I've been trying to hunt down.. and I discover the difficulty with dating this. Now, Ayco seems to be very certain about the venue and the year, only not the month..

What do you think?
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Interesting - the flyers Mike found do not list the year or a week day. However, what the person you are talking to is recalling conflicts with another show date:

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/jan ... 07-09/386/

While that show isn't confirmed, it is an old date that's been on the list for quite some time. To play devil's advocate, we do have a confirmed gig for JA in LA the following day (7/10/87)

So I guess I'd say it is a lead worth investigating. Thanks!
janesaddiction.org
Brabo
Luddite

Post by Brabo »

Well, she further mentioned not recalling the exact date, but "supposed she could make an effort, digging through her agenda's from back then". However like I said, this is a 5 year old mail I got from a radio show host I do not know personally in the slightest bit.. I've no idea if she'd still be willing, let alone able to find those and look that up..

However, you could always ask her at Ayco.DUYSTER@VRT.BE, I suppose..?
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Hi Brabo, thanks for chiming in with this info.
As you can see by my first post I dated this show as happening in 1986 based on us already having shows listed as taking place on July 9, 1987 and July 9, 1988.

Does that mean that this show absolutely took place on July 9, 1986?
No it doesn't but until we can find more concrete evidence it's our best guess as it were.

If we are some how able to confirm that the Kennel Club show did indeed take place on July 9, 1987 it will go a long way in confirming this show took place in 1986.

I appreciate your input and I will attempt to contact your Belgian radio personality to see if she can provide any further insight into this matter.

Thanks
Mike
Brabo
Luddite

Post by Brabo »

Sure thing man :)
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:Interesting - the flyers Mike found do not list the year or a week day. However, what the person you are talking to is recalling conflicts with another show date:

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/jan ... 07-09/386/

While that show isn't confirmed, it is an old date that's been on the list for quite some time. To play devil's advocate, we do have a confirmed gig for JA in LA the following day (7/10/87)

So I guess I'd say it is a lead worth investigating. Thanks!
I did some more digging into this show yesterday and I'm starting to doubt the year was 1986. :headscratch:
I think Brabo's contact may be right and this show really took place in 1987.

Here's what I found:
Photos from Xenon West - Ventura, Ca
Photo 690 of 765 Back to Group · See All Photos

INSERT BIRDCAGE FLYER HERE

Yes it really happened! Amazing show. The after party was hilarious. Sweet Lorena had a platter of cocktail wieners and toothpicks out for the band at the hotel. Another band played called Mind over Four. They were really good too. Oh, and I am quite sure Johnny made this as it is his style. A good one.
Add a caption
Yes it really happened! Amazing show. The after party was hilarious. Sweet Lorena had a platter of cocktail wieners and toothpicks out for the band at the hotel. Another band played called Mind over Four. They were really good too. Oh, and I am quite sure Johnny made this as it is his style. A good one.
Added January 4, 2009

o
Adrian James Burke Janes sucked at that show though, remember how loaded they were; i walked out and then ended up going to see them in Isle Vista the next weekend and they were amazing! :)
January 4, 2009 at 3:25pm · Report
o
Davie Holifield I never really liked them that much. Jane Says was a good song and they had a few others but Perry's voice annoyed me. Don't tell anyone for fear they might find out I'm not cool.
January 4, 2009 at 5:29pm · Report
o
Geri Vasquez Jane says is the ring tone I have for when my little Janey call my cell phone.
January 4, 2009 at 6:38pm · Report
o
Jon A. Leslie I made the fantastic mistake of critiquing the show whilst it was still going on (very loudly, so the band could hear)... "They're awful! I mean, they don't even have a synthesizer!" I got the look of death from Perry. It was hilarious!!!
January 4, 2009 at 7:22pm · Report
o
Dave Girtsman You kids and your rock and roll. Perry Farrell, schmerrell, give me Perry Como anyday. Now that's real music!
January 4, 2009 at 8:55pm · Report
o
Johnny Brewton http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovibOCobK3s
January 4, 2009 at 10:30pm · Report
o
Johnny Brewton
Thanks! I did make this flier but I would not have remembered this flyer if you hadn't posted it. That was one of the last shows I played with The Reign before we formed The Screaming Things with Dave Grave and Dave Girtsman.

.. July 9th Joa...nna's birthday!See More
January 5, 2009 at 12:47am · Report
o
Scotty G. Grist Do not kid yourselves, Jane's Addiction was one of the most creative & unique bands of the early 1990's. (Rocking guitars and steel drums). They had a sound and presence like no one else & the fact that people either loved or hated them proved that hey were truly rock & roll. If they got under your skin, then I applaud hem even more for that!!
January 5, 2009 at 6:38pm · Report
o
Davie Holifield Well, Scotty, I can see SOMEONE is a big fan! Anyway I never said they sucked but I just didn't want to hear them. ;)
January 5, 2009 at 7:17pm · Report
o
Johnny Brewton I remember their guitarist was a no-sense-of-humor jackass.
Then again Fred and I probably pushed the comedy over the cliff back then. (as opposed to now??)
January 5, 2009 at 9:00pm · Report
o
Cully Callaway I remember Andre getting denied at the front door. Apparently he was banned fore life. It was a crappy performance by them that night.
January 10, 2009 at 11:47am · Report
o
Blayne Alexander Wha...? I had a blast at that show!
January 20, 2009 at 9:06pm · Report
o
Jeffrey Kushon I remember going surfing the next day with Perry... still drunk of course. I continued to follow their rise to the top, as they were in my opinion, the best band to come out of LA since the Doors! We still continue to keep in touch as he is now a Rabbi! No joke... on a side note they did the gig for only $2500 bucks what a steal...too bad they sucked due to the amount of booze and drugs they consumed before the show!
February 7, 2009 at 7:48pm · Report
o
Blayne Alexander What ever happened to The Reign?

Man I dug them.
February 7, 2009 at 9:44pm · Report
o
Blayne Alexander Oh duh. I guess my answer is above. :)
February 7, 2009 at 9:45pm · Report
o
Johnny Brewton Hey Jeff how much did you pay the Reign??
February 7, 2009 at 9:49pm · Report
o
Davie Holifield Jeff!!! Remember that after party I described?????
February 8, 2009 at 4:40am · Report

Added by Davie Holifield
to the group "Xenon West - Ventura, Ca"
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =761311449
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I'm still bothered by this show being listed as taking place in '86 and have been looking into it further.
I've been in contact with the peeps on the Xenon faceook page.
While they haven't been able to supply proof as of yet one of their admins says he thinks it was '87.
I believe it was 1987.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38494241373

In addition I've contacted Brabo's radio show host lead (Ayco) recently and have just today received a promising reply.
Hi my name is Mike and I work on the Jane's Addiction fansite http://janesaddiction.org/
I'm trying to nail down the date of their show at Xenon West in Ventura, CA.
One of the members of our site (Brabo) suggested contacting you.
He believes you may have info on what year this show took place.
I'm very hopeful that you still have your ticket stub or something that can provide evidence of the year this show took place.

Thanks for your time
Mike
Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply. I was on holiday and offline the past two weeks.

But … the good news is … I was there! Can’t believe you found me. I still have the ticket somewhere in a box, but it was a generic stub. I’ll look for it tonight.

Hopefullly I have the exact date written down on it somewhere. I’ll let you know.

All the best. Ayco
I firmly at this point believe this show took place in '87.
I know it will mean the Kennel Club show is relegated to a debunked status but I'm fairly certain that's where it belongs.

My main reason for this belief is the whole "L.A.'s best underground band" deal on the green flyer.
The band did not win this award / title until March of '87 as evidenced by the following articles.

Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I plan to change this show's date from 1986 to 1987 based on the facts that I presented above.
This will mean that the unconfirmed Kennel Club show on the same date will have its status changed to debunked.