Ritual Performance Shows

Jane's Addiction news & discussion
helicine
I Fix Shit

Ritual Performance Shows

Post by helicine »

We asked Jane's manager about this last week and now we can confirm it. Jane's Addiction will be performing Ritual de lo Habitual in its entirety at shows later this year. The first known Ritual show is the Fun Fun Fun Festival in Austin, TX this November. I'd imagine more are forthcoming.
janesaddiction.org
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Re: Ritual Performance Shows

Post by tvrec »

I am excited for something new like this...
bman
Music Machine

Post by bman »

Voodoo Festival on 10/31.

Jane's Addiction

11/06/15 7:30 PM

•Gas Monkey Live
10110 E. Technology Blvd. Dallas, TX 75222
Mingo424
Be Live

Post by Mingo424 »

Ooo! So wait, does this mean that they will be performing Ritual at the show in Cbus on the 7th of July?! That would overly exciting!! I was just telling my husband how I would love to hear that album in it's entirety!
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

That is a very good question! I don't think they've said one way or the other on what they're doing for this stretch of shows over July. October is the first announced "Ritual" anniversary shows. The 25th anniversary of the album is on August 21... so, who knows?
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

According to a Facebook post yesterday, the 7/10 show in Pitt is a "Nothing's Shocking" show - so it is safe to assume the other July shows will follow suit.
janesaddiction.org
spunkmuffin
Ripple Street

Post by spunkmuffin »

I went to the Warfield gig and had a blast last night....Diehards would like to know they played a cool old school version of Bobhaus last night ❤️....What's the deal with this board?.... It's dead as fuck? ...Death Gasps ?
filthpurveyer
Club Lingerie

Post by filthpurveyer »

I went to the Warfield and Elverta shows but the Elverta show wasn't a "Ritual" show, it was a short mixed setlist. The Warfield show was outstanding and amazing as far as I'm concerned, lots of flaws here and there(which is classic JA) but with Chip Away at the end with Andrew Watt on guitar and Taylor Hawkins out there, it was cool. Gotta say that it's the worst stage I've ever seen at any JA show, nothing basically, boring as fuck.
LexCain
Luddite

Post by LexCain »

Hi All-
I just joined the forum - finally - last night. I'm in Austin, Texas and saw the first 25-year anniversary playing of Ritual at Fun Fun Fun! It was EXCELLENT! I tried to get backstage but Dave's guitar tech (and one of his closest friends) Dan Cleary didn't make the trip from Boston. But my wife and I were able to get into the viewing area, which was, oddly, divided. We were on the side of the stage where Perry and Chris were with Perk behind them and about 20 feet away. The sound? Awesome! Musicianship? Awesome awesome! And Perry, for being Perry as vocalist today, was great! It was supposed to rain all night. The previous band, Ride, was doing their 20-year anniversary show. About 3/4 of the way through the rain turned to drizzle, then totally stopped! Perry made mention of this a couple of times, was really grateful for the stoppage, and led the crowd on a beautiful journey through Ritual. The guys also played Jane Says, Mountain Song, Ocean Size, and Chip Away. Funny moment - after Ocean Size everyone but Perry began to put their equipment down. Perry turned around, smiled and said, "Hey boys we've got on more song!" Everybody laughed, the assorted percussion instruments came out and they played Chip Away.

I recorded the show on my iPhone 6+ but had NO idea it would record so well, so I didn't hold the phone above the crowd... being a guitarist I just wanted to have it for posterity. However, we got some photos. I want to post them. Can I drag and drop (for those forum members with Macbooks/Apple products, they're in my "Messages")? I tried once. The photo seemed to transfer here but it transferred independent of the text. If I can get some help I'll post what we have.

For me, the show was a "full circle experience. I first saw Jane's in December 1988 - I was 15 - with a girl I was dating at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C. I was already playing in a band and was the guitarist in a Little Richard(!!!) cover band. Had to wear the shirt with the ruffles and "poofy" sleeves and all! The backup band for Jane's was the excellent all-girls (at the time) punk band, Fire Party and I knew the drummer. She put us on the guest list. We went in and went downstairs into the basement - passed for the "Green Room" back in the day - sat on a couch with our bottle of Peppermint Schnaps (we had someone buy it for us) and a joint. Perry came down first, saw the schnapps and said, "Schnapps?! You ---- me?" I said, "Sure!" Then he said, "Joint?!?! Ahhhh, us??" I said, "Yeah man sit down." So we partied a bit. Dave came down last. I went and talked with him for a few minutes. We found we have the same Hendrix and Page roots and he asked me to tell him how he sounded after the show (he was playing his Les Paul at the time). After the show he and I talked for about 20 minutes when he said, "Man, you wanna jam?" He pointed to his acoustic. Fire Party had an acoustic with them so I borrowed it. We went into a room of igloos filled with the post-show Heinekens, and jammed for another 20 minutes. Too many people started to come in and grab beer but stay to listen, so we stopped.

Three years later I saw Jane's at the first Lolla Tour in Mountain View, Ca. I also had passes for that show and, despite the acrimony between the bandmates and the escalated drug use (Dave was already not in good shape at all), Jane's was playing a healthy mix of Ritual and Nothing's Shocking. Ice-T came out with some of his Cody Count bandmates and he and Perry did a "Don't Call Me Nigger..." duet. At one point Perry climbed the scaffolding on the side of the stage and sang to the crowd from about 40 feet overhead!

Anyway, with that history, seeing Jane's after all those years - and for free again, as my wife is the account for on of the FFF sponsor businesses - completed a big ol' circle for me and the band that, when I first heard them in Olson's Books and Records in D.C. I said, to Steadman, the record store dept. manager, "Dude! This is the new Zeppelin! Listen listen! I know where this music comes from!!!" Turned out to be true... but Jane's is on a different wavelength from their musical predecessors - and we're all better for it. Thanks for the time. (Oh, and do let me know how to post photos, if possible!),