Sterling Spoon 6LP Box Set 10/21/16

Jane's Addiction news & discussion
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: Sterling Spoon 6LP Box Set 10/21/16

Post by helicine »

One of the challenges w/ releasing old live shows is working out payment for the venue owner and promotor. Today, it is a lot more common for that stuff to get worked out before the show even happens, but "back in the day", that wasn't usually the case.

So there is a risk vs. reward thing, larger bands like Zep that still have $$$ coming in from merch (etc.) can take risks on releasing some live stuff that maybe only their core fanbase is going to buy. I don't think JA has that luxury. (This is total speculation, so I could be way off base - but it seems to make sense to me).

Most of us know that Perk has a treasure trove of JA recordings, and in an ideal world, it would be great to see those all get released. There is an audience for them, but is it an audience large enough to make it worthwhile? :noclue:
janesaddiction.org
bruno177
Power Tools

Post by bruno177 »

That's interesting, I didn't consider that and who knows perhaps Rhino did all the work behind the box set and included the extras they did because they were already mastered and there didn't have to be any new arrangements worked out. The Jane's guys are probably merely along for the ride as it were. It would be great if they could even release stuff just digitally from the Perkins Archive on the official site or iTunes. But then again there were almost no revelations on the Cabinet box set beyond the My Time rehearsal so maybe that archive really doesn't contain all that much we don't know about. I just wish they could think outside the box a bit. You see so many other bands from the same era doing amazing reissue and archival packages: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, etc. Even smaller acts get good reissue sets. Pavement have had amazing sets devoted to all of their albums. They gotta get it together.

What would you guys like to see in an archival release? And are there are legitimate outtakes or demos, rehearsals even in the archive anymore? Surely there must be more alternate takes or versions of tracks from NS and RDLH. A dream of mine has been for XXX Records or whomever now owns the rights to the first album to do a nice remaster and reissue with the complete soundboard from the show included and any outtakes or revelations from the studio sessions at the Edge with Mark Linett. Hell, I'm just interested in more info in general on that album. There's that early mix out there too that could be included. Ahh but I would bet good money nothing of value will ever happen....
"Bring the lights down, man. Little Perry's gonna teach you how to behave yourselves...."
intertwoven
Jedi

Post by intertwoven »

Yeah, I've got zero interest in this release. I guess I can see value in it for fans who are big into vinyl. But otherwise, it's just rehashing stuff we already have. That Hollywood Palladium show is great, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure there are several more outstanding, unreleased shows in their vault that sound as good and would excite fans much more at this point. And of course unreleased outtakes and the like would be sweet (Three Days Poem, anyone?)
innerturmoil
Be Live

Post by innerturmoil »

Don't really know why Ritual is a double lp on the reissues, but i like that Nothing's Shocking has gone back to it's lightly metallic look from the first pressing. Only listened to the Kettle Whistle disc so far, sounds good, nice heavy weight. Not a bad thing for the folks that don't have the original LPs but pretty redundant for anybody around here.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

The last set of 180g LPs for Ritual were double as well - likely something to do w/ the pressing process.

I ordered it, but have yet to open it... need to add it to the discography too :hide:
janesaddiction.org
innerturmoil
Be Live

Post by innerturmoil »

helicine wrote:The last set of 180g LPs for Ritual were double as well - likely something to do w/ the pressing process.

I ordered it, but have yet to open it... need to add it to the discography too :hide:
if you're not opening yours and need any info, give me a shout..
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Thanks for the offer - I opened it up last night for a quick look-over. I'll probably get it up in the discog later this week.

Word is the European edition is different (download codes for digital copies of the music?). Curious on the print split being that it says 5k copies worldwide.
janesaddiction.org