Dave's Custom Gold guitar from '90-'91

Jane's Addiction news & discussion
CrazyBee
Black Radio Club

Dave's Custom Gold guitar from '90-'91

Post by CrazyBee »

Hey Dave Fans,
A few years back I posted on Xiola about Dave’s custom gold guitar from ’90-‘91. This is the guitar that he threw at Perry and then into the crowd at the 1st Lollapalooza show in Phoenix (7/18/91). The headstock snapped off and the body was cracked where it joins the neck. The guitar then went to Chris Cuffaro, Jane’s Addiction’s then-photographer, and I ended up with it in 2004.

I recently gave the guitar to Dave for his 50th birthday, but he ended up giving it back to me – check out the details, if you’re interested, here (starting around 1:15:30) - https://soundcloud.com/davenavarro/dark ... the-studio

Before the show, I contacted the original luthier, Mike Lipe. He made guitars for some of the top Ibanez players back in the ‘80s and ‘90s and still does great work. Check out his site here - http://www.lipeguitars.com/ Anyway, because I was going to be parting with Dave’s guitar, I asked Mike if he could recreate it for me to as close to the original specs as possible. And, he’s doing just that. Plus, it looks like he’ll be making one for Dave as well.

Here’s why, aside from it maybe being interesting to this group, I’m telling you all of this:

1st - Dave remembered there being a Batman sticker on it. I can only find one image with the sticker. It sits behind the bridge and it looks as if “Bat Man” is two words. Do any of you happen to have any good images of that sticker? I’d like to try and source that sticker to get it on the repro.
Here's that image:

2nd – If any diehard fan/guitarist is interested in getting one of the repros, Mike might make a few more. They’re not cheap, because they are essentially handmade, one-offs with high-quality materials and parts, some VOS (vintage old stock). The price is shaping up to be around $2,700 with a case. I think, if anyone does want one, I’d put a piece of the high E and B string from the original (they were still attached and I’m put a bit in mine) so some of the vintage magic and vibe can be transfers into the new guitar, if you believe in that stuff. The first one isn’t quite finished yet, but will be very soon. I’ll post photos and have more info when it’s done.

3rd – I’m creating a website that documents as much about this guitar’s past present and future as I can find. If you have any stories, images or details about it, and are willing to share, let me know. Also, if anyone knows where the original headstock is, please let me know.

Here’s what I know -
Produced 7/25/90 by Mike Lipe in Burbank
1st documented show played - 8/21/90, Brixton Academy, London England
Shows with Batman sticker - unknown
Last Show played (broken in fight) – 7/18/91, Compton Terrace Amphitheatre, Tempe, AZ
The breaking of this guitar is what led Dave to using PRS

Thanks for any help finding pictures of that Batman sticker or any other details,
Rob
filthpurveyer
Club Lingerie

Re: Dave's Custom Gold guitar from '90-'91

Post by filthpurveyer »

You should contact "Kevin from SF" & "Charles" for pics, they are the guru's regarding pictures. I can play video's and screen capture some shots for you but those two guys have tons of pics. My advice is to PM both of them.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Thanks for sharing your story about the guitar. I've got a couple of pictures of Dave with it but they're on a hard drive and I don't have a PC hooked up right now. Here's one I just found on eBay. Hope it helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
CrazyBee
Black Radio Club

Post by CrazyBee »

Thanks Mike!

For some reason, I'm getting this message on the image - You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. - but I'll get it figured out.
CrazyBee
Black Radio Club

Post by CrazyBee »

The prototype is finished! It looks fantastic and plays like a buttery dream. The roasted maple neck, ebony fretboard, and meaty frets are really just beyond sick.

There are few cosmetic adjustments we'll be making to subsequent versions (spacing on the Tone and Volume knobs, color/sparkle, binding thickness, etc.) to dial it in a bit tighter to the original spec, but in general, this thing was made to play '90-'91-era Jane's guitar. :rockon:

More info to come.

Please let me know if you can see those images. Also, I still can't see images from others (?).

Thanks,
Rob
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

The images are not showing up - you should be able to attach them now and see other's attachments. It's a limitation of new accounts, but you should be good now.
janesaddiction.org
CrazyBee
Black Radio Club

Post by CrazyBee »

Hey Guys,

So this story continues. I showed the repro to Dan, Dave's guitar tech, and he really, really liked it, so we are making one for Dave, which means we may get to see him play it in the not-too-distant future.

Also, Dave and Dan gave me one of Dave's PRS guitars. It's one of the black ones - so bitchin'. It isn't "the" Black Bastard, but it is one of its brothers (or sisters?). I can't tell you how cool Dave and Dan have been through this whole thing.

I'll have the website - DavesGoldGuitar.com - up pretty soon telling the entire story. And again, if anyone else wants one of these repro guitars, hit me up.

Thanks,
Rob
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Post by tvrec »

Cool connection!
BLP1313
Luddite

Post by BLP1313 »

Hi Rob,

Great stories and thanks for the pics! I too was obsessed for years with finding that guitar design. I learned many years later it was made by Mike Lipe when he was working at Ibanez and made that one for Dave Navarro.
I contacted him last year and he agreed to make one just like Dave's. Once I got the funds secured to start this project I found out he passed away from cancer. Very sad. He seemed like an amazing guy through our email conversations. I was going to go by his studio in Burbank to give him a deposit..unfortunately never did pan out and I did not get a guitar made. More of your pictures would be greatly appreciated!! I may have a pic of Dave with that Batman pic..I'll look through some boxes.

Thanks again for the great share!

Cheers-
Brandon