The fate of Jane's debut album

Jane's Addiction news & discussion
Tyler Durden
Luddite

The fate of Jane's debut album

Post by Tyler Durden »

Obviously, the Triple X debut is out of print in all physical formats...and the label is now defunct. However, you can buy the album from iTunes and stream it via Spotify.

So who owns the rights to this album now? And why has it not been reissued on physical formats? I'd love to see a new vinyl version.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: The fate of Jane's debut album

Post by helicine »

I think vinyl is the only way to go for any release of old material. There were articles out last year about how vinyl was headed towards outselling CDs for the first time in around 30 years.

Unless they sold the streaming rights, I’d assume whomever owns those rights have the rights for physical releases. :noclue:
janesaddiction.org
Tyler Durden
Luddite

Post by Tyler Durden »

helicine wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:41 pm I think vinyl is the only way to go for any release of old material. There were articles out last year about how vinyl was headed towards outselling CDs for the first time in around 30 years.

Unless they sold the streaming rights, I’d assume whomever owns those rights have the rights for physical releases. :noclue:
Sure...but who is that? :noclue:
spunkmuffin
Ripple Street

Post by spunkmuffin »

Tyler Durden wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:42 am Obviously, the Triple X debut is out of print in all physical formats...and the label is now defunct. However, you can buy the album from iTunes and stream it via Spotify.

So who owns the rights to this album now? And why has it not been reissued on physical formats? I'd love to see a new vinyl version.
Psi Com was re-released in what? 1993 by Triple X ..and since Perry is reissuing that album as part of his box set ..I would guess he could reissue the Triple X in Vinyl?..I would personally love if they would release Ritual in vinyl again!!…I have recently broke out my album collection stored away for decades and along with a newly purchased "Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Turntable" have rediscovered my love for that format!!…Kinda makes me sit and concentrate on the album as a whole like the old daze!!!… Studying album art stoned out of my gourd like I did as a teenager!!! :lol: :heart: :hippie:
bruno177
Power Tools

Post by bruno177 »

I've actually wondered who owns the rights as well. You can buy new CD copies of their debut on Amazon and some of the local record stores here in San Diego have had new copies for sale within the recent past. I bought a new copy on CD about five years ago at Taang Records in SD, to replace my old copy, and noticed that they had a replacement copy a few months later.

I just did a business search for corporation names through the state of California, and Triple X Entertainment is still an active corporation. Peter Heur is the current CEO. I believe he was one of the original founders along with Charley Brown and Dean Naleway? The street address is listed as 1400 Magnolia Blvd Sherman Oaks, CA 91423, mailing is listed as a P.O. Box 862151 LA, CA 90086. Perhaps they still exist to keep churning out their old catalogue on CD and ensure it remains up on streaming sites? Perry might be licensing the Psi Com material for his box o' poop vinyl set.

I would LOVE to see a vinyl reissue, but has no one thought of doing a deluxe set with the original soundboard of the Roxy Show, perhaps some stuff from the studio sessions, a few early rehearsals, etc.? I guess since we're talking about Jane's Addiction the answer is no. I just have no faith that these guys will do anything interesting at all with their back catalogue. OH WELL!
"Bring the lights down, man. Little Perry's gonna teach you how to behave yourselves...."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

I don’t think Triple-X has any ownership/rights to the Psi Com album. I think their release license expired a while ago. I’m betting at this point, Perry owns it outright, probably bought out any remaining ownership from the other members.
janesaddiction.org
bruno177
Power Tools

Post by bruno177 »

You are probably right about Psi Com ownership. It is just mystifying that he wouldn't have included the other Psi Com studio tracks, Worktape 1 and demos, in his box. Those tunes might have enticed more fans to part with their money. I was briefly excited about the box because of the Psi Com tease and then....yeah. I checked Amazon and they no longer are selling new copies of the debut. It's just second hand sellers hawking unopened copies. Still, Triple X Entertainment is an active corporation. The Cabinet Boxset lists the Radio Tokyo Demos as being courtesy of Triple X Entertainment and the Sterling Spoon set lists the Ocean Size demo as being licensed from Triple X as well. It's a shame that the first album and that era has just been sort of walled off from Jane's history. It's the only album I listen to anymore because I've heard the "big two" so many damn times.
"Bring the lights down, man. Little Perry's gonna teach you how to behave yourselves...."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

I don’t think it as in issue of the Triple-X era being walled off as it is probably more that the licensing would outweigh any potential profits to be had.

Also, these special edition vinyl sets seem to be the only thing that is really selling. If you dry the well right away, you’re cutting off potential future revenue streams by releasing those down the road.
janesaddiction.org