Jane Says she never sold her body for sex

Jane's Addiction news & discussion
Anson
Oblivious Troll

Jane Says she never sold her body for sex

Post by Anson »

For some reason a lot of people (my myself included)upon hearing Jane Says for the first time assumed that Jane was working as a prostitute and that her pimps name was Sergio.
I would never have guessed from that overly emotional vocal performance that Jane was in fact a white collar worker (not a curb worker) and that her only vice was drug taking (not prostitution)
In retrospect the whole thing seems quite funny now,there I was being moved at the thought of that poor girl selling her sex to make money to support a drug habit in her order to block out her feelings of low self worth brought on no doubt by the terrible childhood she endured.
So to my amazement I came upon this completely different picture of Jane Bainter in the article below in which it says:

Contrary to popular belief,Jane Says she never sold her body for sex. “A lot of people hear the song and assume it’s about a prostitute. It’s not. If you could clear that, I’d appreciate it.”

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: Jane Says she never sold her body for sex

Post by Mike »

I never conjure Jane as a street walker when I hear this song. I always thought she was someone that had some struggles in life like many others do and had a dream to go to Spain.

I have seen it suggested elsewhere that she was a prostitute but I think that people get her and the bands manager Bianca mixed up.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Anson
Oblivious Troll

Re: Jane Says she never sold her body for sex

Post by Anson »

It is a very easy mistake to make based on the overall context of that album,but it feels only right and good to let everyone know that she wasn't,as everyone respects her massive (but seemingly unrewarded)contribution to that fine album.