Jane Bainter

Jane's Addiction news & discussion
Anson
Oblivious Troll

Jane Bainter

Post by Anson »

Has Jane Bainter been paid yet for her massive contribution to Jane's Addiction,especially their first album:
her broken life's story laid bare in front of the whole world to hear in the song Jane Says
her name and medical condition appropriated for the band's name Jane's Addiction
her Signature of the bands name Jane's Addiction becoming an iconic logo in itself
and her semi naked body used to great effect in picture in the inner art sleeve of that album Janes Addiction
(not to mention the terrible fact of many many people mistakingly assuming her to be a prostitute in consequence
of that song and album)

If a band are on the cusp of global success(as Janes were in 1987)they have a duty of care to look after any muse(girl) whom they use for her pictures,her life's story,her name and signature.

If she has not been paid (if she is not going to be paid)then surely that will become an unforgivable stain on Jane's Addiction's legacy.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: Jane Bainter

Post by helicine »

I think you're reading a bit much into stuff that isn't there. When and where did the band refer to Jane as a prostitute?
janesaddiction.org
Anson
Oblivious Troll

Post by Anson »

Hi
I presume they never! did (I never said they did,I would never say they did).
Yet,a lot of people mistakingly assume upon hearing and seeing that album (including my younger self) that she was.
If u are asking me how that incorrect assumption is made ( according to popular belief) my guess would be from a combination of the visual artwork and some of the preceding songs on that album.
For example 'way down low where the streets are littered......I love them whores.......what can you 'Say' when you're a whore'......
So the grit and litter and trips and whores of the first side of the album set up (in many peoples minds)an expectation of more of the same in the second part of the album.
As for the artwork,again erroneous assumptions can be easily made.
My assumption,for example,was that the cover artwork represented a sort of daydream of an erotic jesus type character while the inner artwork represented a sort of fallen character,a Mary Magdalene type character.
As for the song Jane 'Says' itself,I guess false assumptions are made by some listeners when they assume that a girl with little money and a bad drug habit(esp heroin)inevitably turns towards the streets (the curbs) to make quick money to support her addiction.
So,I think you will agree,it's only right and good to set that erroneous assumption straight (I would hate,for example,anyone mistakingly thinking my sister to be a prostitue based on any artwork or on any song any singer sung).
And also I think you will agree that Jane Bainter deserves to get paid well for all her contributions to Jane's Addiction? (that's if she hasn't been already well paid,maybe you could set that record straight?.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Maybe I misread - I'm not looking for speculation as to the "why" to the rumors. Just seemed like you were making a leap in logic, but I hadn't had any caffeine at that point in the morning :lol:

Jane's last name wasn't common knowledge until the band thanked her in 1997 in the liner notes of Kettle Whistle. Have they given her any compensation? I have no idea. The article you posted recently from 2001 noted she and the band lost touch by the time they became big.

I think if you look at rock music in general, there are LOTS of muses that never got anything from the artists they inspired other than possibly to be on the ride for their moment in time. I'm not saying that is right or wrong. You could make the same argument for Xiola and certainly more so for Casey.
janesaddiction.org
Anson
Oblivious Troll

Post by Anson »

Hey,

thanks,

you make valid arguments

BUT! are we talking about Guns N' Roses here or Jane's Addiction!!

What set Janes apart from other groups was their seemingly love for and celebration of women

No one can think of Jane's Addiction (or those first three albums) without thinking about Jane for Album one,Casey for Album two and Xiola for Album three (each album beautified by their individual and unique presence)

three muses(girls) lovingly portrayed and celebrated and protected,or at least that's what I believed 

So it would break my heart if I thought the band had not reached out financially to each of those massive contributers and inspiriers of that music we all once loved.

To use your 'to be on the ride' analogy plus an analogy of 'the muse as an open road'

imagine a musician driving a fast car on beautiful open roads and once he reaches his destination he says to himself 'wow I own such an amazing car and I owe no one anything for that ride'

I can imagine someone like the lead singer of an 80's hair band feeling like that,but surely not the lead singer of Jane's Addiction!

All I want to know,when I listen in nostalgia again to those three albums,all I want to know is were those three girls(or their families in Xiola's case)rewarded for what they gave of their lives to that music(to those three great albums)

If they were not rewarded,i can never listen to that music again,as I expected and believed those muses(or young women)would be cherished and rewarded once the good times (or the money)rolled in.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

I hate to say it, but I think you're going to have to quit listening. I highly doubt any checks were cut to Jane or Casey out of the goodness of the band's heart. I could be wrong, but considering Perry nearly broke up the band trying to get a bigger cut of the pie for himself doesn't paint a very altruistic picture. I guess if it is really important to you, you can reach out to Jane and Casey on Facebook.

Of the three women, Casey's influence is the largest and you cannot simply relegate that to the second album. She's not just a muse, she was a contributing creative force that touches the band's entire first run. Realistically, her influence is still felt today.

Casey allegedly sued Perry sometime around 1992-1994. I'm not sure what, if anything came from that, but you generally don't sue when you've been given what you feel is your fair share. I would guess during the band's heyday and she was with Perry, she didn't care because they shared everything, but once they split up...
janesaddiction.org
Anson
Oblivious Troll

Post by Anson »

Apart from being terribly sad and definitely tarnishing the bands legacy forever (if those girls are not paid their dues)it just makes no sense to me,as in all his interviews the singer always made it really clear that money was never his guiding light but only art.
But now,after making unimaginable amounts of money why is he not jumping at the chance to reward all those people without whom his art could never have flourished(or reached those heights so quickly)
His art revolved around women,
those three women in their own unique way were indispensable to his art.
What is the first album without Jane?
What is the second album(plus all the others)without Casey?
What is the third album without Xiola?
What is the band Jane's Addiction without the kudos of having a real girl's name,a real girl's signature,a real girl's intimate pictures and real girl's life stories implicit and explicit within.
The very aestheic immediacy of Jane's music and art revolves around the inclusion of real women(not imaginary boyish sexual fantasies of women,but real living women).
He needs them in his art just as much as any novel needs them or any religion needs them.
In each case they were the Ying to his Yang (they balanced his art,they balanced his life,they balanced his music)
He has a spiritual and an aesthetic and a financial duty of care(or debt)to them.

Just in case anyone thinks I am being one-sided or unfair on the band or on the singer, I would like to say that I regard that first album as one of the great artworks of the 20th century (what greater compliment can anyone pay those artists than that)
But! part of that greatness was the tenderness one felt towards the women within
It would be the icing on the cake if someday the singer or the band were to reach out in love(compassion)and reward financially those fine women for their artistic input and inspiration.

Thanks to everyone here and there and everywhere,there is really nothing more I can say.
Anson
Oblivious Troll

Post by Anson »

There are a lot of people happy tonight that a 63 year old married man is fronting a teenage band (a rock n roll band) and that he is singing that same old song again about a girl in her 20s who has a bad heroin habit EVEN THOUGH JANE has been sober for about 30 years now

Has nobody informed the singer yet of that GREAT news that Jane is no longer Addicted ( Jane's Addiction is no more-----Jane is Sober now )

And even though Jane (no doubt) has been in love many times throughout her life ,tonight AGAINl she will not be! cause according to that 63 year old married man she has never been in love nor does she even know what love is

The Hebrew meaning of the name Jane is 'Graceful'

And even though I never met the girl (or mature woman now i should say) i think that name suits her well (nearly every other woman in her position would have kicked up a major racket by now to demand some kind of fair financial remuneration for everything she has given to that band (and for everything that band has taken from her)

I for one, hope that finally Perry will (if he has not done so already) pay her her dues (and for that matter pay Casey her dues too)

Without Jane (and without Casey) what would Janes have ever been?
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

a teenage band
okay boomer

kthxbai
janesaddiction.org
Anson
Oblivious Troll

Post by Anson »

Not sure what the 'boomer' reference is to

Rock n Roll is a teenage art form primarily (it was never meant for the Daddies and Mammies-------it was meant for the kids)

And that was not even the point of the piece

Either you believe Jane is worthy of remuneration or you don't