Updates to the Tour Date History

Site updates, issues, and suggestions
helicine
I Fix Shit

Updates to the Tour Date History

Post by helicine »

The Tour Date listing has been updated. The lists now show more info, and you can filter/sort the lists a bit as well. We're still going through and punching through the new information, and that will take a few days - but all in all it should provide a lot more depth to the info we have on all the bands' live performances.
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: Updates to the Tour Date History

Post by Mike »

I love it!
It's gonna take a little while to update shows to their category and type but it will be worth it.

Excellent upgrade that should be immensely useful. :thumb:

Thanks for getting it implemented.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Added a couple more filtering options today.

I also added a category of "debunked" for shows we know did not take place and added a few back in. Those shows are marked gray w/ a strikeout (similar to canceled shows)
janesaddiction.org
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

helicine wrote:Added a couple more filtering options today.
those rock! makes things so much easier!! :thumb:
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
intertwoven
Jedi

Post by intertwoven »

Thanks to both Mike and Erik for your excellent work on the gigography. It's a reference I use a lot.

If I could venture a few suggestions..

I miss having "setlist", "recorded", "artwork" spelled out for each listing. Having just a "•" is confusing and you have to scroll up to remind yourself which column is which.

It'd be really cool if it were searchable. e.g., one could type in "Of Course" and then get a results page listing all the shows where "Of Course" was played. Or type in "Roxy" and list all the shows they played at the Roxy. Or type in the name of a city to list all the shows they played in a certain city.. etc.

Maybe not on the list itself, but on each entry's page, it'd be cool if you had the date spelled out.. to clarify and prevent confusion among other countries that list day before month.
So, for 03/04/1991 - London, England - Marquee Club.. it would read:
Jane's Addiction - Marquee Club, London, England
Date: March 3, 1991

And I wish the "Entry Last Mofidifed" date would be at the bottom instead of near the top. It's just confusing throwing another date so close to the show's date. Most people probably don't care when it was modified. I think it'd fit better at the bottom. (Oh man-- I just noticed a typo "Mofidifed"? Should be "Modified", no? It's like that for every entry! Haha, how'd none of us notice that before?)
Hell, even the title is unnecessary. It says "Jane's Addiction - Marquee Club, London, England".. then just 2 lines down says "Location: Marquee Club, London, England". It's redundant.

I think it should go like this, in this order:
Artist: Jane's Addiction
Date: March 4, 1991
Type: Concert
Recorded: Audience audio (partially found on Brixton Academy 12" bootleg) & audience video
Images: Itinerary, Ticket, Article, Mar 16 1991 Sounds Article, Mar 16 1991 Melody Maker Article, 1991 Kerrang Article

Setlist:
Up the Beach
Whores
1%
No One's Leaving
Ain't No Right
Three Days
Standing in the Shower... Thinking
Then She Did
Mountain Song
Stop
Of Course
Been Caught Stealing

Show Information:
blah blah

Entry Last Modified: November 5, 2009
I don't know how feasible these suggestions are.. I know this stuff can be time consuming. But just throwing them out there for consideration. Hope I don't sound ungrateful or anything. Again, I use this section a lot, usually getting info for live recordings, and it's very handy. I'd even volunteer to tackle some of the manual labor if you guys need/want a hand. I guess in some way I feel like this is my (estranged) baby since I was one of the first to start piecing together a Jane's show list over a decade ago. It's come a long way, thanks in large part to the 2 of you, and your efforts are very appreciated by Jane's geeks such as myself.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

intertwoven wrote:I miss having "setlist", "recorded", "artwork" spelled out for each listing. Having just a "•" is confusing and you have to scroll up to remind yourself which column is which.
I switched it back, I see your point w/ the really long lists - just thought it looked a little cleaner w/ the bullet, but being useful is more important
intertwoven wrote:Maybe not on the list itself, but on each entry's page, it'd be cool if you had the date spelled out.. to clarify and prevent confusion among other countries that list day before month.
very good idea, it is done
intertwoven wrote:And I wish the "Entry Last Mofidifed" date would be at the bottom instead of near the top. It's just confusing throwing another date so close to the show's date.
I used to use the modified date bit for something w/ the old layout - guess it really isn't needed anymore. No idea how that typo got stuck in there for so long :lol:
intertwoven wrote:Hell, even the title is unnecessary. It says "Jane's Addiction - Marquee Club, London, England".. then just 2 lines down says "Location: Marquee Club, London, England". It's redundant.
It is a little redundant, but without that info in there the page looks a little odd. Basically it is a page header, and I think you could probably make a better argument for removing the 2nd date/location/venue listing.

I've struggled w/ the "recorded" bit - right now it has 4 options:

no/unknown
audio
video
audio & video

Basically in the database, the column gets a single number that represents one of those values. There is a huge combination of possibilities if you start getting more detailed, and even more confusing when you start getting shows with multiple sources. I've always said that info can go inside the "show information" section which is free-flowing text.

The bootleg list is also auto generated. Some shows are full boots, some are partial. And that may change when I move the bootography into the wordpress system.

saving the best for last...
intertwoven wrote: It'd be really cool if it were searchable. e.g., one could type in "Of Course" and then get a results page listing all the shows where "Of Course" was played. Or type in "Roxy" and list all the shows they played at the Roxy. Or type in the name of a city to list all the shows they played in a certain city.. etc.
This is a LOT more complicated to implement, but something that I've played around with doing and hope to put something forward for use soon. I originally had every intention of merging the tour listings into wordpress w/ everything else, but I decided I would lose a LOT more than what I would gain (date sorting was a big issue), plus it would have been a fucking shitload of work as there are nearly 2000 shows in that database. So the main site search engine doesn't cover the tour section.

I totally appreciate the suggestions! :rockon:
janesaddiction.org
intertwoven
Jedi

Post by intertwoven »

Sweet. :thumb:
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

I added in a text box for text searching to filter show date results. So you can search by location, venue, setlist and show info (individually or collectively). It works in tandem with the other filters, so it is limited by the year that is currently displayed and works with the other filter options that are selected/enabled.

You currently cannot search across bands (ex. find all shows in the DB that were played in L.A.), and I'm not sure how useful that would be, and it would probably require a lot of changes to the existing code for it that to work.
janesaddiction.org
intertwoven
Jedi

Post by intertwoven »

love it! :hump:
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Did more tweaking of both the show list and show detail pages. Both should run a little more efficiently.

I also tweaked some existing features and added some minor extra things:
- if you call the list page w/o an artist or an artist value that doesn't exit, it refreshes back to the main show list
- if you apply a filter combination that returns no shows, a message will appear noting that
- if you filter for "only canceled" dates, it automatically resets the "set list" filter as no canceled shows have set lists
- added a link at the bottom of the list page to refresh the displayed list w/ all applied filters removed
- set lists are shown as "set list" instead of "setlist"
- added the "." character as a valid character in the search string

probably some other stuff that I am forgetting :lol:
janesaddiction.org