Discography Overhaul Complete

Site updates, issues, and suggestions
helicine
I Fix Shit

Discography Overhaul Complete

Post by helicine »

It only took around a year (along w/ lots of good old procrastination on my part) to get the conversion/update/overhaul of the old discography completed. What that day has come. There are still a few missing things that need to get added, and a bunch of picture updates to get online - but all the old discography stuff is now finally in the new system - old URLs should redirect to the new pages.

That being said, there are some reasonably significant changes in how we're doing the discog:

Consolidation of Versions
- The biggest thing we started, and has been the case for the last year+, is making a single page for each "title" - for example, one page for all versions of the Classic Girl single, including the promo. That way everything for each title is found in one place and we have less pages that simply say "this is the demo for blah blah blah".

Compilations
- We are no longer making separate page/entries for every single compilation there is. We'll list all of the ones we are aware of, but only interesting/unique compilations (ex: ones w/ exclusive tracks) get their own page. This is because I felt the good compilations were getting lost in a sea of "boring" comps (like the +20 that simply have Been Caught Stealing on them). Right now the "boring" ones no longer have artwork, but that may change and they may get a tiny thumbnail of the cover in their list.

Guest Appearances
- Similar to the compilations, these sections have been condensed as well. Interesting/unique guest appearances get their own page, while others are displayed in a list. Singles and compilations for major artists are simply being omitted unless we find them particularly interesting. I figure our efforts are better focused on finding more direct JA related stuff than tracking down the innumerable compilations that have Alanis' You Oughta Know on them. Again, there are some exceptions, and stuff that is just in list form now may get the full treatment again later down the road.

Misc Changes:
- Infectious Grooves items now all listed under Perk's discog
- RHCP items are now listed under Dave's discog
- As much as I love Pete and Martyn, their discogs are gone - as is the Carnival Art one. These may come back down the road, but they were woefully out of date, and in the case of Pete they've got a good discog over at PeterDistefanosCircle.org
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: Discography Overhaul Complete

Post by helicine »

I am working on tweaking the way the pages are displayed. I'd like to get the names of each item displayed with the thumbnail, and clean up the way the lists are display.

Feel free to offer up any suggestions on improving the discog. :cheers:
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: Discography Overhaul Complete

Post by Mike »

I know from talking to you behind the scenes just how much time and work has been involved in updating / merging the old and new Discographies and I just wanted to thank you publicly for all the hard work you've done.

It looks great and I really appreciate all the effort you've put into it. :applause:
I'm sorry I'm not of more use when it comes to working on that aspect of the site but you've certainly done just fine without me.

I hope everyone will get lots of use out of this great resource.
I know back in 2002 when I first got online it was one of my favorite things on the net and there's such a wealth of information to be had.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."