5/1/09 Nokia Theatre, New York, NY [Road Recovery]

Post by Mike »

Perry Farrell, Tom Morello, Billy Bragg for supergroup performance

Jerry Cantrell, Wayne Kramer and Don Was will also play in New York

Mar 23, 2009
0 Comments
MC5 news, reviews, video and tour dates
Add MC5 to MyNME

A supergroup comprising of Perry Farrell, Tom Morello, Jerry Cantrell, Wayne Kramer, Don Was and Billy Bragg are set to perform a benefit concert in New York on May 1.

The show is to honour former MC5 guitarist Kramer, and proceeds from the event will go to Road Recovery, an organisation that helps young people battle addictions and other adversities.

Joan as Police Woman, Miggs and Ours are also on the bill for the event, with more surprise guests to appear on the night.

Tickets for the show, which will take place at the Nokia Theatre, will go on sale this Friday (March 27) at noon.

--By our New York staff.
Find out more about NME.
http://www.nme.com/news/mc5/43644
Last edited by Mike on Fri May 15, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Matt Pinfield announces May 1st 2009 Show at the Nokia Theater- NYC. Honoring Wayne Kramer (MC5). Supergroup performance of Wayne Kramer, Perry Farrell, Jerry Cantrell, Tom Morello, Don Was, Billy Bragg and MORE- Also playing Joan as Police Woman, OURS, Miggs, and Crazy James. Benefiting Road Recovery Foundation- Roadrecovery.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQ-iDgSO0k
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

I think this is a great organization.I like all of Toms work and what he stands for.
http://www.roadrecovery.org/

heres the set of flickr pics from last year I found in last yrs thread
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alyssasgal ... 698144967/
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
nestos
Xenon West

Post by nestos »

The birds they build their home
Right above my head
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Wayne Kramer and Margaret Kramer announce Road Recovery Foundation Benefit Concert 2009 at the Nokia Theater New York City on May 1st. Honoring Wayne Kramer! With Perry Farrell,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmxXij-_-bo
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Benefit For Road Recovery In Nyc To Honor Resilient Rock Pioneer Wayne Kramer

Punk rock pioneer and activist Wayne Kramer of MC5 fame will be honored in a fund raising performance event on Friday, May 1st at the Nokia Theater in Times Square. This special event carries a low ticket price of $25, and will feature a variety of special guests including The Nightwatchman Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine), Alice In Chains’ Jerry Cantrell, singer Billy Bragg, Perry Farrell (Jane's Addiction) with Etty Farrell (Satellite Party), Don Was (Was Not Was), Dictators' Handsome Dick Manitoba, Gilby Clarke (Guns 'n' Roses) and more. The night's emcee is Matt Pinfield.

Performing songs together and individually from their respective catalogs, as well as collaborating on MC5 songs and anything else that strikes their fancy, this is sure to be an exciting evening of high-energy rock and roll.

"It's going to be just loose enough musically that anything might happen," jokes Kramer. "The only thing you'll need in order to be in the audience is an open mind... and maybe a set of ear plugs."

One hundred percent (100%) of the money raised on May 1st will go directly to support the treatment of children and young adults who suffer from adversities such as addiction, physical and sexual abuse and chronic illness.

The resilient, irreverent, rapier-witted, amplifier-burning Wayne Kramer is in full effect today and relevant, this time at peace with himself, at least most of the time.

“I lost everything to addiction. I also forfeited my freedom to it,” Kramer says. "I'm at ease in the knowledge that my darkest days are now treasured gifts to share with others who travel down the same road."

Tickets for this special event are now on sale.

Sponsored by DeBartolo Family Foundation and Bright Antenna Records, Road Recovery's Performance Workshop Program house band Crazy James, Joan As Police Woman, Ours, Miggs will also take the stage.

WHEN:
Friday, May 1, 2009
8pm-11pm

WHERE:
Nokia Theater
1515 Broadway (at West 44th Street)
New York, NY
Nokia Theater Box Office (212) 930-1950
http://www.pluginmusic.com/news/archive.php?id=5199
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Anybody here going to check this out Friday?
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

3.5 hr show = 20 item list
concert review: road to recovery nokia theatre 5.1.09 May 2, 2009
drug addled kids in rehab make for damn fine musicians. they totally rocked the pixies ‘where’s my mind’. they also drink way too much red bull and mosh
tom morello’s new band is beyond awesome. its like rage against the machine with a hip hop artist as the lead singer and with slightly less angst. they’re opening for the janes addiction/NIN show ensuring it’s spot as the second best show i’ll see all summer.
on a related note, tom morello will now be used as an adjective to describe awesomeness. ex: that pie last night was so tom morello
dear wayne kramer, you kick so much ass and it makes me mad that you are not a household name. love, lisa
i really love when amazing guitarists face each other while they play. especially when those guitarists are tom morello and wayne kramer.
perry farrell, i wish you could be the frontman for all bands. and even though i’m straight, it must be said, your wife is hot
jerry cantrell, you are one of the solidly soulful guitarists and i will never get tired of seeing you play. keep the hair flipping, it works for you
billy bragg, you kinda made me melt when you played ‘the drugs don’t work’. you are now the oldest person i would sleep with.
juliette lewis, you were so beyond awesome. who knew! you rock ac/dc
the guys from sum 41 showed up. i’m glad they didn’t do much. little stevie, i wish you had done more.
a note to the band the hours: when you are playing a benefit show with rock legends, there is absolutely no need for your set to be twice as long as everyone elses. tool did it better.
mountain song is like the best thing ever
i like when tom morello plays the guitar with his teeth
gilby clark of guns n’ roses, i never realized how good you were! i think this show should feature a random gnr member each year, gradually working up to axl
to the random band from sacramento, california, i didn’t catch your name, but i thought you were awesome. you too migs.
iggy pop. i am so glad i got to see you live in my lifetime. you are a legend and its amazing that you are able to do what you do.
to all the artists, please don’t play jailbreak when you take this show to sing sing
matt pinfield, i have always been a big fan and i respect you even more now. you had one of the darkest days a person could have, and you still showed up to do this benefit for recovering addicts. and you talked so freely and openly. you undoubtedly inspired a lot of people. i hope some day you bring back the show take it to the matt. and you make a damn fine frontman.
kicking out the jams is so much better than not kicking out the jams
to all the random celebs that showed up that i’m forgetting, thanks for making this such an unbelievable show for a really great cause. and to my cousin brian for being an awesome represententation of our genetic makeup.
http://theslowginfizz.com/2009/05/02/co ... atre-5109/
Last edited by hydro on Sat May 02, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »