2009.06.10 Post-Gazette Pavilion, Burgettstown, PA

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

mothra665 wrote:We had a wonderful time! :)
No suprises in the setlist, not that i'm complaining.
Thanks for all your help Etty! :handsout:
Watching the rehearsal was worth the drive alone :wootwoot:
NS - Sorry to dip out, wife and friend got ill.
Hydro - as always :hello:
Bones - it was a pleasure

:peace:
mothra,I was so sad to hear Colleen was'nt feeling well.I hope she is resting and feeling better.

rehearsal................ :shock: ..man makes me wanna cry!!
Standing in The Shower Thinking!
Had A Dad!!!

such a privilege,ok so im crying lol !!!
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Mike it was really nice to meet your son,I think he's a very nice kid. :)
Your pictures look great!I think im taking my crappy camera back! lol
Im uploading onto youtube....Then She Did...,Summertime Rolls and Jane Say's.Videos look good but sound is a lil distorted.

It was so super cool to meet some of the awesome people from this board,Bones and his friend,FaerieB,Benny,Mosh.

FaerieB.......you are a true artist and a wonderful person.Your jewlery is amazing and beautiful and sooooo creative.You put sooo much thought into your pieces.I will cherish my earings forever.I was able to give Perry and Etty the gifts you made them.They loved them and I will tell you more on the telly.

now for the show experience

got there early enough for SSSC and NIN soundcheck,listened from the parking lot.

Getting pre-sale tickets from janesaddiction.com rocked!! we were able to bypass a line that wrapped around the venue.

After we found our way around the backstage parking lot I headed out to check out SSSC and half of NIN from the pit.
NIN did this song by Gary Numen "Metal" and it was the SHIT!!!!!!!!!
and "I'm Afraid Of Americans" by Bowie I really enjoyed those two songs.NIN puts on a long set,I dont know how they do it.This was my 4th time seeing NIN and they are just as strong as they were 19yrs ago when I seen them for the first time.

It was time to go back for Janes warm up,while waiting I got to say whats up to Tom Morello,I didnt have the chance to tell him how much I loved Rage growing up and his music will always make me feel like im 16 driving in my first car blasting RATM on tape !!Feeling like I could conquer the world!
Got to see Boots heading into the shower with nothing but a white towel. :P :biggrin:

It was so nice to see Carl Restivo again :handsout:

Warm-up was frickin off the hook!!! SSSC was in the room with us jammin out.Ive sooo been wanting to hear Standing in The Shower Thinking!!!!
Had A Dad he was big and strong,turned around and found my daddy gone :( :rockon:

I decided to watch the show from the Pit area,when we got there everyone was gone lol but it did fill back up.It was nice to be able to get close and stay close.There was a few hardcore janes fans in front of me just having a blast in their own lil world moshing between the 2 of them lol as far as I could see that was the only "slam dancing" going on.I think for the most part there is no moshing because people dont want to miss out on the opportunity of seeing Janes on stage.Its just such an amazing sight to see! :P I was very happily surprised to see Etty make her way into the pit with us.She rocked out,we sang along to every song :rockon:

They killed it with "Stop!" the crowd went wild wild wild!!!!
thats when the two moshers went crowd surfing :lol:

It was very muggy last night.

I once thought Eric was untouchable,back in the day Eric gave off this vibe he was there for the music,in the zone, In his own bubble.Dont look at him and he wont look at you :lol: and I respected him for that.
Eric is wise and sociable and a Gentlemen.
He should write a book,his storys and words are inspiring.I so enjoyed spending time with him and my friends.
I had one burning question...what did his tattoos mean on his lower arm.
The black band is a memorial tattoo for a father figure close to him.
The other one means "Love and Kindness" in Tibetan.He was inspired by a friend who made it through some very hard times growing up by studying Buddhism.I beleive Eric said he was rewarded a Harvard scholarship for learning the Tibetan language.

I was getting a lil worried I wasnt going to get Daves autograph on my chucks till I spotted him talking on the phone in the distance.I slowly walked closer to him not wanting to interrupt.waiting in the dark...Dave walked over to me,I told him I was'nt letting him get away with out signing my boot.He thought they were pretty cool! :cool: no picture though,ill take what I can get and dont want to ask for any more.but I sure wish lol

Janes Rocked the show!Best times of my life!
im done rambling now :biggrin:

"Then She Did..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8AQAL7hG5s
Christina
Power Tools

Post by Christina »

WoW - Amazing pictures!!! I sent Hydro a msg earlier on MS and hope that NEXT time around I can meet up w/ you all!! I'm glad everyone had a great time!!
Warped
Be Live

Post by Warped »

:rockon: :rockon: Hydro got her autograph. I was so hoping for a hot pic...but you are right - i would be more than happy with him "only" signing it.

I am happy and at the same time endlessly jealous you all had such an amazing time again. :biggrin:
Thanks for all pics and reviews and so on. It makes the unbelievable (that i am probably not seeing them on this tour) a bit less disappointing and saddening for me. :cry:
My only hope is that they add some dates in Germany, France or Holland..... :!:
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Warped
Be Live

Post by Warped »

hydro i just found that, don't know if you have seen that already:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guitarchae ... 134533767/

:cool:
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Warped wrote::rockon: :rockon: Hydro got her autograph. I was so hoping for a hot pic...but you are right - i would be more than happy with him "only" signing it.

I am happy and at the same time endlessly jealous you all had such an amazing time again. :biggrin:
Thanks for all pics and reviews and so on. It makes the unbelievable (that i am probably not seeing them on this tour) a bit less disappointing and saddening for me. :cry:
My only hope is that they add some dates in Germany, France or Holland..... :!:
I will be really hoping that you get to see them Warped!!!!
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Warped wrote:hydro i just found that, don't know if you have seen that already:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guitarchae ... 134533767/

:cool:
OMG LOL I have not seen that yet!!!! AHHHH Thank you!!!! :P :biggrin:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Opposites attract at Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction concert

Review

Thursday, June 11, 2009
By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction who was screaming, "nothing's shocking!" but he didn't see what was going on Wednesday night in Section P, Row N at the Post-Gazette Pavilion.

There stood an elderly, white-haired man wearing a Nine Inch Nails cap and a wide grin, rocking back and forth, clapping along -- too slow for the beat -- for the entire 90 minutes of that band's bruising set as if he were watching the Beach Boys or maybe the church choir.

He's more than a half-century too old to like NIN, but I suppose it's different when it's Trent Reznor's grandfather. Ninety-eight-year-old Bill Clark accompanied Reznor's mom and several other relatives to the show, all looking far too kind and wholesome to have raised the most tortured artist of his generation.

It was part concert, part Freudian curiosity to watch the Mercer native scream lines like "Don't you tell me how I feel/You don't know just how I feel!" in the general vicinity of his mom.

The NIN/JA tour was a double reunion, marking the return of the original Jane's Addiction, while pairing the two principals of the maiden Lollapalooza, which never darkened our door. If you closed your eyes, it was very much like Lolla 91. If you opened them, you saw a crowd of bulkier 35- to 40-year-olds with cameras, cell phones and beers who weren't going to mosh and fight like they did when they were 17, which alters the energy substantially. No one really was getting much wilder than Mr. Clark.

Despite being forever linked by the culture, NIN and Jane's Addiction are worlds apart spiritually and aesthetically. NIN played first, sacrificing some of its vampiric aura to the daylight still surrounding the venue. Reznor, in black leather pants and bulging muscles, was grinding out his gothic industrial metal on a colorless, foggy stage filled with flashing strobes so intense he dared you to look. He ventured from guitar to keyboard to synthesizer, creating the favored headphone music of a serial killer -- a vast sonic range from pretty, brooding atmosphere to stabbing, bludgeoning hardcore.

The set was spiked with scorchers like "March of the Pigs," "Head Like a Hole" and "I'm Afraid of Americans," where Reznor and Robin Finck's guitars sounded like jackhammers, and balanced with painful slow-burns like "The Becoming" and "The Fragile," which called for acoustic guitar or piano.

Sixteen songs in, Reznor announced, "This is the last we're going to be around -- we appreciate your support over the years," and ultimately left us a world full of "Hurt."

"Ain't no wrong/ain't no right/Only pleasure and pain," Perry Farrell shrieked on the third song, and if NIN was the pain, Jane's was the pleasure. The glammy L.A. band hit the stage, opening up a world of color, sexuality and celebration.

The phenomenal foursome wields a hammer like a cross between Zeppelin and the Stooges, with the sinewy Farrell a constant blur of motion. Jane's went right to the meat with its staggering epic "Three Days," which found Stephen Perkins beating the drums like Bonham and tattooed guitar hero Dave Navarro firing bolts like the Mighty Thor.

Where NIN boiled inside, Jane's spread its wings with towering anthems like "Ocean Size" and "The Mountain Song," while also jabbing with the short spastic stuff like "Been Caught Stealing" and "Stop!" With the formidable Eric Avery back on bass, Jane's blew the 2003 version of itself out of the water.

After "Jane Says," it was impossible to leave Burgettstown without talking about which band you liked better. Me, I'm a JA guy. Bill Clark, he bolted early -- he's totally Nine Inch Nails.

Scott Mervis can be reached at smervis@post-gazette.com or 412-263-2576.

First published on June 11, 2009 at 10:55 am
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09162/976708-388.stm
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."