2009.06.14 Chevrolet Theatre, Wallingford, CT

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

hydro wrote:fucking bad ass Mike!!! love the box set!!! and you got Perrys wine bottle!!!!!!!! :wootwoot: :alc: :rockon: :cheers:
so rad dude!!!!!!
That Box Set was signed over the course of a few shows.
It's actually the one you didn't take when we met up in Columbus.
Perk was the first to sign it in Indiana.

Yep I got his bottle :!: :biggrin:

Quick little story on how I ended up with it.
I've been asked here and have seen folks ask elsewhere "what kind of wine is it?"
After Saturday's show I was chatting with Perry and asked him about it.
I was fairly certain what the answer was before I asked.
Either I'd read it or heard it in an interview.

Bottom line is it's not any certain wine.
He just told me he likes a good red.

So I asked him if there was any way I could get the empty bottle after the show the next day? (this show / the 14th)
He said sure and when I saw him before the show I reminded him and he said no problem.
Once the show was over Ian and I headed backstage and hungout.
I didn't see Perry or Etty and figured I was out of luck when security told us we'd have to leave.

We had passes and had OK to be back there but the security at this venue were very strict.
Not wanting to cause any sort of problem we reluctantly vaccated the venue.
We decided to head around back because I really wanted to thank the band for everything and say goodbye.

We were waiting around with a dozen or two other folks when Eric and Dave came out.
I had a chance to thank them both for everything and it wasn't much later when Perry and Etty came out.

By now I'd already figured the wine bottle was a lost cause so to speak but there it was in Perry's hand.
When he handed it to me I was like holy shit it's 3/4 full!
I thanked him for remembering it and for everything he'd done for me at the shows I attended.

Here's where the fun started.
The bottle was already open and I didn't want to get in trouble for having an open container.
However there was no freaking way I was going to dump it!

Well it was a long walk back to where I'd parked and I figured I'd figure out what to do with it by the time I got there.

Around this time I met Anna and she was curious about the wine and we began chatting.
She told me it would go good with steak.
I told her I wasn't hungry but I was going to get the bottle back to the hotel some how.
Before I know it we're swigging it in the parking lot.
We chatted a good long time but there was still 1/2 a bottle left when I was ready to go.

Necessity being the Mother of invention once back at the car I found a plastic pop bottle cap that I slapped onto the wine bottle.

Bingo problem solved.

Once I got back to the hotel I started playing around on the PC in the lobby.
I of course was drinking the wine.
What the hell right?
It's good wine, the boy had gone to bed, and I didn't have to drive anymore.
Well it was about this time that the night clerk noticed me and told me I needed to find a glass.

I was like no problem you have any idea where I might find one?
Now equiped with a throw-away plastic coffee cup I was able to kick back and enjoy the rest of it.

I drank the last of it in my room while listening to my recording of the show.

You know what?
Anna was right it was some good wine.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Mudget wrote:sweeeeeeeeeeet

love the sssc collaboration with perry.

can't wait to see the mountain song with tom morello.

glad you and your son had a great time, NS. get home safe.

what do we do now that the american leg of this tour is over???

wish one of my other favorite bands was out touring, like ween. heh.

i need more.
Yeah Mudget, I was side stage when I found out Perry was going to join SSSC for a number.
The boy and I had to rush back out to the pit to watch / record it.
Like I posted earlier I'll be putting it up on youtube.

Hydro posted a clip of Tom with Jane's doing Mountain Song on page one of this thread.
I'd have video of it too but I'm a dumbass and packed spent batteries in the camera case. :eek: :oops:

I was busy recording the audio and wasn't able to get good batteries for the camera for the kid until after Mountain was over.

The way these shows had been i knew I'd have to do a tape change right after Mountain and did.

It just sucks that everything went to hell for a second and we missed getting video and / or pics of what was IMO the highlight of the show.

Thank goodness I got the audio or I'd be really bummed.

I listened to it on those tiny speakers you see in the pic with the recorder, tickets, tapes, and wine bottle and if I say so myself it sounds pretty damn good.

I think I'm going to make getting a safety transfer of this show a priority once I get home.

And I absolutly hear you as far as the tour being over.
I managed 5 dates total.
Three of which were Jane's only / no NIN (2 w / SSSC) but I'm bummed I didn't do as I'd originally planned.

I could have seen twice the shows. :cry:

That said I still had a hell of a good time and I don't think my Son is going to forget about this any time soon.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Christina wrote:O.o!!!! AMAZING pictures Mike!! I love the one of Dave (right above the one of you recording). Your box set is "complete" now - I love that all the cards are signed. I also adore your Vote for Perry shirt - haha <3 Napoleon Dynamite
I can't take credit for all those pics.
Matter of fact my Son Ian took almost every one of the Jane's pics.
I thought I posted that info when I posted the pics earlier today but just noticed I didn't. :oops:

There'd be more pics too if not for the battery issue I wrote about in my previous post.

I too like the pic you mention.
I asked my Son how he did it and he wasn't sure.

I'm embarassed to say this but I've had my camera for almost four years now and my Son did things with it this weekend that amaze me!

Wait to you see his shots from Virginia! :shock:
Warped
Be Live

Post by Warped »

Thanks for sharing Mike, as always it's great to read that. Nice pics, thumbs up to your son :cool:
mothra665
Räji's

Post by mothra665 »

Mike will you adopt us?
:please:
"Whaddya doing cheering a guy over 30? Cuz I can still rock yer pants off yer fuckin' ass, and I'll do it 'till the day I die!"
Perry Farrell 07/20/1991
Christina
Power Tools

Post by Christina »

I can't take credit for all those pics. Matter of fact my Son Ian took almost every one of the Jane's pics.
I thought I posted that info when I posted the pics earlier today but just noticed I didn't. :oops:

There'd be more pics too if not for the battery issue I wrote about in my previous post.

I too like the pic you mention.
I asked my Son how he did it and he wasn't sure.

I'm embarassed to say this but I've had my camera for almost four years now and my Son did things with it this weekend that amaze me!

:dance2: WOW! WTG Ian!! Maybe a possible future career in photography??? They were rly good shots!! I feel your battery pain. Ours started to die in Columbus about 1/2 way thru the show - so we had to limit what we were photographing. Thankfully it hung in there for my 1/2 ass vid. of Jane Says. lol (Note to self - always bring back up batteries! hehe) Can't wait to see your other pics. :)

I just scrolled up and realized I missed your wine bottle story. That is fucking awesome. JA has been so amazing to you - but you have been nothing but the same to them. You deserve it!!
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Here's my video of Perry and Perk with Street Sweeper Social Club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDurjf68ec
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Concert Report: Street Sweeper Social Club / Jane's Addiction

June 17, 11:58 AM
Lorraine Schwartz NY Concert Examiner

A week ago when I reviewed the PNC NIN/JA show I mentioned that I was unable to see more than one song from Street Sweeper Social Club. That was remedied this past Sunday when the band played with Jane's Addiction at the Chevrolet Theatre in Wallingford, CT.

Before I go on, I should say up front that I am a Tom Morello fan, but was never really a Rage Against The Machine fan. It's not that I don't respect them and their accomplishments. It's that although I loved the actual music, I could never get past my dislike for Zack De La Rocha's vocal style. I also never took to Audioslave. To be honest, the only reason I gave either band a chance was because of Tom Morello's guitarwork and personality I've come to know through interviews and ventures like Axis of Justice radio. But I am happy to announce that finally, with Street Sweeper Social Club, I can now say I'm down with a Tom Morello music project.

The band began their set wearing military-like overcoats and sunglasses. As the show went on, I realized that besides the awesome guitar riffs from Morello, Street Sweeper Social Club has a great frontman in Boots Riley. His shuffle-dancing across the stage is contagious as he delivers lyrics such as "breakin backs of others is where you got all your cash", as in the current single, "100 Little Curses", with a cool swagger. Besides Riley, I found myself looking forward to the finale of each song. They would all congregate around the drumset and just let loose, bringing up the energy of the crowd with each strong finish.

One of the most memorable tunes was "Fight! Smash! Win!" It begins with a rocked out intro which leads into a funky bassline that's on the move until it gets to the chanting chorus of "Let's fight! Let's smash! Let's win!". Since I love when a band does covers, I got a kick out of it when they performed a rock-tinged cover of M.I.A's hit "Paper Planes." I also enjoyed Tom's guitar solo, which is normally the part of a rock show where I completely zone out. My favorite part of the set was the last song "Nobody Moves Til We Say Go." For this number, Perry Farrell joined the band to help finish out their last set of their run with Jane's Addiction (and Nine Inch Nails, who didn't perform Sunday). After witnessing this new band, I highly suggest checking out Street Sweeper Social Club's new CD, which is out this week.

Although I already wrote about Jane's Addiction very recently, I feel this performance is still worth mentioning. I was lucky enough to be down on the barricade in front of bassist Eric Avery for the entire show, which was a very different experience than being in a seat, rows away. I had a total fangirl moment when Perry came down to our side to sing my favorite Jane's line "I was made with a heart of stone, to be broken with one hard blow!" from their monster "Ocean Size." And I wasn't the only one geeking out at this show. Tom Morello, who reminisced earlier on stage about sneaking into a Jane's show at 16, came out to join his idols for "Mountain Song." Watching him, you realized that although he's a famous rock star with his own fanboys, Tom is still a fanboy himself. Honestly, who could blame him! Jane's Addiction is one of the most original bands to ever form and their songs still give me the chills, even after almost 20 years!
ImageImageImageImage

view more pics
Examiner.com
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

ESFOS
Radio Tokyo

Post by ESFOS »

great pics all around...