2009.05.12 Frank Erwin Center, Austin, TX

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

hydro wrote:"summertime rolls"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKvf4MlUJ-A
how beautiful!!!
Yeah I ran across that one earlier this afternoon.
It's one of my favs by the band and I'm really happy they're busting it out this tour.

Now if they'd only bust out My Time on the 29th I can die happy. :)

I edited your youtube post on page one of this thread and added it and the others that are popping up.

I think it works good this way.
Anyone who wants to watch the show can do so without looking to hard.
Everything is in order in one spot.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Live Review: Jane's Addiction, NIN/JA Tour - Austin - May 12

Story and photos by Greg M. Schwartz
gschwartz@sacurrent.com

Anticipation was high at Austin’s Frank Erwin Center Tuesday Night as two of the architects of alternative rock joined forces once again to give fans a fine taste of that late 20th century flavor. Jane’s Addiction and Nine Inch Nails first teamed up on the original Lollapalooza tour in 1991 for a groundbreaking tour. With most of their peers from the era having disbanded, it made seeing two such acts together again on the aptly dubbed “NIN/JA” tour a rare treat for fans of that still highly influential era.

This reporter was never a huge NIN fan, as their industrial sound just isn’t quite my cup of tea. But there’s no denying that tunes such as “Head Like a Hole” and “The Hand That Feeds” rocked with an impressive power. Aside from the diehards up front though, most of the crowd didn’t really seem that into the set — fans in the upper levels were sitting down. NIN frontman Trent Reznor acknowledged the atmosphere after the show.

“Not one of our better shows. Despite our efforts we seemed unable to win over the crowd. Texas ends with a whisper,” twittered Reznor after his band’s 90 minute set.

Perhaps it was because the majority of attendees were actually there to see Jane’s Addiction. NIN have certainly been far busier as far as albums and tours over the years, but I dare say that Jane’s Nothing Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual albums are packed with far more classics than NIN have achieved in their entire catalogue.

Reznor gets props for recognizing Jane’s classic status though, which is why he is plenty content to play first and then enjoy getting to watch one of his favorite bands. He’s even tried to referee the internal battles that continue to plague his tempestuous tour mates.

Jane’s hit the stage with their mesmerizing epic “Three Days” and instantly commanded the arena. Perry Farrell looked none the worse for wear from a torn calf muscle he’d suffered in Atlanta and seemed his normally energetic self. Seeing the rhythm section of drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Eric Avery back in action (Avery left the band in the early ‘90s and didn’t play on tours in 2002 and 2003) provided a stellar flashback, with Avery not missing a beat. But it’s guitarist Dave Navarro who really makes the band’s sound so addictive to alt-rock junkies.

Navarro was in fine form from the start, ripping off melting hot leads in nearly every tune. The man just has a presence about him, not to mention his skill at channeling rock gods like Page and Hendrix while mixing such classic influences with his own psychedelic bag of funky tricks.

“Pigs in Zen” was another early highlight that kept the energy ascending, but it was “Coming Down the Mountain” that really set the house on fire. Avery’s signature bass line clued in the crowd, which exploded when Farrell and the rest of the band kicked into the tune. The band was firing on all cylinders here, while the ever-charismatic Farrell reveled in his quasi-shamanic ringleader role.

The group’s seminal ability to merge classic rock psychedelia with harder edged punk and funk influences is the source of their immense influence on the music world. With peers like Billy Corgan, Slash and Flea all testifying to the band’s majesty in the liner notes of their new box set Cabinet of Curiosities, the immense reach of that influence is clear.

“Been Caught Stealing” was pure party time with its funky groove and Farrell’s most amusing lyrics, a combo that made the song the band’s biggest hit. Farrell was clearly having a blast, with a contagious effect on the crowd. “Nothing Shocking,” on the other hand, brought back the band’s mesmerizing side, entrancing the audience as bizarre images played on the curtain screen that was partially unrolled, while the band spun their dark and moody tale.

The set kept building until it reached the cathartic climax of “Ocean Size,” a tune whose musical power does indeed match that of the oceanic metaphor for which it’s named. It was moments like this where the surroundings started to evaporate and it almost did feel like 1991. The ability to bend the space-time continuum in such a way is no small feat.

The sensational encore trio was almost like a mini-set of its own. “Summertime Rolls” set the stage with an ambient and melodic sound that just seemed to wash over the soul. Yet another ripping solo by Navarro hit the mark again.

“Stop” kicked the groove party back into motion with one of the most high energy songs of the evening, with Navarro and company giving it their all and the crowd responding in kind. The song had a hard rocking jam reminiscent of Phish’s “Carini,” although it was probably Jane’s that influenced Phish more than vice versa (the jamrock kings have been known to cover “Been Caught Stealing.”)

“Jane Says” ended the show in triumphant fashion, as the band opened the song with another ambient, yet groovy jam that built like a wave before crashing into the opening chords of what’s become a campfire sing-along classic about a girl and her addiction.
Whether the band can make their peace to stay together and move forward remains to be seen. But it would be a shame if they can’t, because the mojo is still there.
http://www.sacurrent.com/blog/default.a ... &year=2009
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Man accused of assaulting UT police officer at concert

04:40 PM CDT on Thursday, May 14, 2009

KVUE News

An Austin man has been arrested for assaulting a University of Texas police officer during a concert at the Frank Erwin Center.

Victor Javier Hernandez, 32, was pulled out of the crowd by two UT police officers, suspected of smoking marijuana during the Nine Inch Nails-Jane's Addiction concert Tuesday.

According to an affidavit, Hernandez struck one of the officers with both open hands pushing him out of the way and then running for the door.

Hernandez was arrested after a short chase. He was charged with assault on a public servant and is now out of jail on $10,000.
http://www.txcn.com/sharedcontent/dws/t ... 9a52e.html

I hate shit like this.
Once upon a time you could fire up a doobie at a show and the only issue would be the line of folks asking for a toke.

It's just a weed! :roll:

That said the dude really screwed up laying hands on the officer.
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Nothing's Shocking wrote:
I hate shit like this.
Once upon a time you could fire up a doobie at a show and the only issue would be the line of folks asking for a toke.

It's just a weed! :roll:

That said the dude really screwed up laying hands on the officer.
I can def remember a time when that was the only issue.........
when they kicked me outta the satellite party show in cleveland I had thought about running back in and disapearing in the crowd but the cops dont fuck around no more man they take your ass straight to jail,im to old for that shit anymore.
my guess is this guy was probabley drunk also.

but seriously this story brings back memories and reminds me to be careful at the upcoming shows ;)
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
Mudget
Xenon West

Post by Mudget »

Yeah that's a cautionary tale.

Austin was the indoor one, right? Probably no smoking of any kind allowed, thus easier to spot sparkers.

Hell there's footage from this tour, can't remember the show or venue, saw it on YouTube, of someone handing Perry a doob, and him hitting it.

I'd much, much rather smoke than drink.

The whole thing is just one big hypocritical mindfuck. They sell beer for like $11, designed to get people rowdy, boisterous, and out of control, while weed, which essentially does the opposite, is the one that's illegal. What the hell man.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

NIN, Jane's Addiction and Street Sweeper Social Club at The Erwin Center, Austin, TX'; 05.12.2009

words by Elliot Cole
photos by Randy Cremean

In Trent Reznor’s heroin-fueled, Fragile era, the mop topped frontman of Nine Inch Nails could look out into a sea of blackly clad fans hoisting hundreds of lighters in the air in mutual appreciation. Over a decade later, the black t-shirts haven’t changed much, but instead of dancing flames Reznor peers into a crowd of lit up iPhones and flashing pocket cameras. Yes, the musical landscape has shifted since Reznor and company dominated the concert circuit in the 1990s, but the digital era that has been ushered in is, in many ways, representative of a band that has always been comfortable sitting on the cutting edge.

Playing to a crowd of grungy, 90s-influenced rock loyalists and modern radio followers, NIN has managed to transition along with the industry since its 2005 return, establishing itself as a face of the genre rather than another nostalgic zeitgeist act. With Reznor’s penchant for technology and his ability to run the artistic gamut from industrial to hard rock to pop, NIN is a creature of metamorphosis, at all times teeming with an undercurrent of pulsing animosity. At the Erwin Center, Reznor seethed as much as ever, churning through tracks both old (“Sin”, “Wish”) and new (“Survivalism”). As usual, the group spliced the performance with instrumental numbers and busted out a few rarities for the diehards: a cover of Joy Division’s “Dead Souls” was perhaps the treat of the night.

Despite an eclectic and relatively heavy set, the Austin crowd seemed passive, be it due to the early set time (8ish) or just general lethargy. There wasn’t the usual crowd surfing, gaping mosh pits, or sweat-soaked Mohawks slicing through the audience. More than a few fans could be overheard complaining that NIN should have been the ultimate headliner, and, in truth, they were probably right. Not only is NIN the bigger draw, but the band’s toned-down production was absent of the usual visualizations, screens, and large-scale light effects that usually give the shows a grandiose sensibility. Reznor was later quoted as saying, “Not one of our better shows. Despite our best efforts, we were unable to win over the crowd.” Nonetheless, if this is Nails’ last Austin performance – this is rumored to be the group’s final tour – Reznor did his legacy justice.

While Reznor has always been the closed off, incensed rocker, Perry Farrell and Jane’s Addiction play as his counterparts. Farrell performs with a bravado reminiscent of Freddie Mercury, sassing his way onstage and enticing the crowd. Dressed in a black musketeer/middle earth arrangement, Farrell wailed through the standards (“Stop!”, “Jane Says”) and the band supplied the rock gravitas that everybody craved. His voice echoed into itself as he asked the crowd, “Does anyone know how to party?” While such mindless tidbits seem trite, this is what we want out of a rock show. It’s as if Farrell recognizes that we yearn for the raw simplicity of it: the solos were revved up, the drums were loud, and, most importantly, the entire set just felt epic, with large porcelain female figures serving as a backdrop to a brightly lit stage.

Say what you will about Dave Navarro. Sure, maybe he sold out a little. Ok, a lot. Maybe he has become a cliché of himself. But, at the end of the day, he still has the guitarist chops to impress, and his riffage was both sharp and ambitious. It seemed like he never missed a note, making the complicated solo arrangements all the more impressive. Simply put, he was in ass-kicking rocker mode, tattoos gleaming in the backlight and showmanship on full display. The entire band seemed to mesh with this sentiment of theatricality, making for a much larger production than the set of NIN.

“Things can change fast, Austin!” shouted Farrell, presumably alluding to the sudden reunion of his group. Still, looking at the thousands of fans packed into the Erwin Center, it doesn’t seem like things have changed that much at all. The floor is still sticky with beer, the crowd still throws up devil horns, and Reznor and Farrell are still two of the most mesmerizing frontmen in the genre. Sure, Reznor is giving away albums free online and Farrell is as concerned with his business as his music. But, as best revealed by a shirtless soundboard operator who headbanged his way through the entire show, it felt like, at least for a few hours, not much has changed at all.
http://www.soundcheckmagazine.com/revie ... -austin-tx

Last bumped by Mike on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:40 pm.