2009.05.20 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, CA

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
scabdates
Radio Tokyo

Post by scabdates »

Wow. That's awesome. Perry shouldn't have repeated himself, but I guess it's kinda appropriate. Love how they kept tossing the shoes back and forth for a while.
The sea is a very easy place
To disappear.. drift away
Fall asleep.. make your peace
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Whores :wink2: and Pig's In Zen sort of. :devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp72LzzLUI4
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

NIN+JA=Fun night at Irvine Meadows!

May 21, 10:06 PM

Nine Inch Nails and Jane’s Addiction played at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre (now known as Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre) on May 20, 2009. Our group of four sat in section 8; row WW; around seats 800.

Traffic on the way to the venue was rough. We left about 4:50 from a friend’s place in North Hollywood, and it took us until 7:00 to get there. The walk to the line, and then line to get into the venue took another 30 minutes. By the time I got a drink and got to the seat, NIN was starting their second song!

The seats were only half-full until their set neared the one-third mark. Were fans confused by the fact that NIN was not the closing band? Perhaps they did not expect NIN to start within five minutes of the posted time. Either that, or people must have been there only to see Jane’s Addiction; you decide.

Nine Inch Nails did a great thing by relaxing the camera policy for their shows. To quote from Trent’s Relaxed camera policy for NIN/JA defined post, “In an effort to allow you to document your experience at the upcoming NIN/JA performances, we will be relaxing our photo/video policy (5/7/09 - 6/12/09 only).” He gives guidelines on the thread, but I was able to take in a camera bag (check your venue for bag policies first) with three cameras and a telephoto zoom lens.

Trent puts a lot of energy into his performance, as does the rest of his band. Trent sweated visibly through his shirt by the third song.

The lighting theme this year seems to be two sets of high-powered strobes above the stage, with a huge quantity of smoke, especially around the drummer at some points. The smoke would flash green, orange, and white mainly, with blue and some other colors occasionally.

NIN played a great combination of older and newer songs, and the crowd seemed to know them all. Well before their set was half over, the seats filled to near capacity and the crowd was very excited.

Security played it tight where the crowd danced during some of the songs, but only occasionally. They warned those in the upper section who leaned against the rails to back off, but then security would leave and the crowd would return.

Jane’s Addiction set up a completely different lighting scheme, firing floods and spots from behind the drummer and the sides of the stage. They covered it completely with red and blue, with bursts of white. Their usage of smoke came more from a singular source and helped carry the lighting to the front ranks of the audience.

Although I have seen NIN four times, this was my first visit to a Jane’s Addiction performance. I was very entertained by Perry Farrell, whose stage antics are the stuff of legend. He dances around the stage; one might almost say it is a prance.

His voice is great and distinctive. The only other band that I have seen in concert whose singer sounds even close to him is Tripping Daisy. It is hard to believe Perry Farrell is 50 years old.

They played all of their old songs, I’m happy to report, and I hope to see them again soon!

Tonight, NIN/JA 2009 is playing at the Santa Barbara Bowl. Tomorrow they head to Mountain View, and then up to George, Washington. See the rest of their tour dates to find out when they come to Colorado, Illinois (near examiner author Maryan Pelland), New York (near examiner authors Tammy Todd and Gabriel Zamora[), and more!

Sean Arenas is the Los Angeles Concerts Examiner
Twitter: @concertreviewer http://twitter.com/concertreviewer

http://www.examiner.com/x-10286-LA-Conc ... ne-Meadows
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Nothing's Shocking wrote:I absolutely do not condone idiots throwing shit at concerts.
When I saw Jane's at Lolla 1991 the show ended when a dumb fuck clocked Perry in the face with an industrial size glow stick.

Sometimes however the ensuing is pure comedy gold. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00foJenAGA
:lol: :lol: :rockon:
I love Perry sooo much hahaha!!! Hes the BEST!!!
Perry fucking rocks!!!
MutherFuckinMakesMeTry
Black Radio Club

Post by MutherFuckinMakesMeTry »

Mudget
Xenon West

Post by Mudget »

Nothing's Shocking wrote: Thanks again Mudget.
Like I said I stayed off the NIN site last night.
I haven't been over there tonight either.

It looks like the tweeted setlist is missing Then She Did....
Take a look at my post above this one.
Looks like it was played between Pig's In Zen and Mountain Song.

I was lurking over at xiola earlier today and noticed scabdates pilfered your setlist and posted it over there and in the process upset a few folks.

http://xiola.org/bored/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=13982
Oh thanks!

Yeah the Twittering is an inexact science to be sure. But I should have noticed TSD was missing. Duh.

Wow I can still upset Xiola people without even being there anymore.

There was also a very long-winded copy/paste job over there and people weren't sure who it was from, and someone (Hype, I think) suggested maybe it was the return of Krunk. Good old long-winded Krunk. Haha. No. Wasn't Krunk. Krunk has become decidedly less long-winded after several more years of journalism and teaching.

As for throwing shit at concerts - why do it at all. If you don't nail one of the performers, you're probably going to nail someone.

Still nothing compares to that Jesus Lizard concert where a bunch of idiots lit a whole blanket on fire and threw it into the crowd. That one resulted in burns and arrests.

I went ahead and posted this over at NIN.com in the Santa Monica thread (they had already closed the Irvine one)

===================================================
I also want to thank (this will shock some of you) Perry-Farrell.net (Nothing's Shocking is the shit), pheno_barb, and Xiola.org (gasp), because those three sources, combined with Access and Twitter, help me put a Jane's cap on these things at the end of the night.

I did however, miss one JA song for the Irvine set the other night - Then She Did should be squeezed between Pigs and Mountain. I doubt many people here care about little things like that, but it drives me nuts and pisses me off. I am trying to at least keep it 100% accurate. When I posted that set list without TSD, people over at Xiola apparently copy/pasted it and it caused a whole dramatic thread "OMG where's TSD????!!! DID THEY DROP IT??!!" - which is kinda funny, but probably my fault. I don't love Xiola but I don't go out of my way to fuck with them either.

Anyway, peace. And thanks to NS over at Perry-Farrell for pointing that out to me.
==================================================
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

MutherFuckinMakesMeTry wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWBShX89UTA
WOW that came out great!

Seriously I've watched hundreds of clips from this tour and that's got to be the best clip I've seen!

Great camera work, the audio is really good, everything is just a-number-one.

Thanks for filming and sharing MFMMT! :cool:
vikkivale
L.A. Woman

Post by vikkivale »

Hi,

I took too many pics to upload individually, but here are a few to give you an idea. When the photos are done uploading to my website I'll give you a link. Same goes for youtube...its all uploading now...

www.lawomanphotography.com
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

whoowheee Vikkivale those are awesome pics!!!
ive missed ya!! :P