2009.05.22 Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
Mike
Addicted Archivist

2009.05.22 Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA

Post by Mike »

Jane's Addiction/NIN

By Dan Pulcrano

WITH ALL the kitschy nostalgia for '80s pop, it's often forgotten what a white-glove era it was for rock & roll. The melodic synth music of dark, brooding British bands displaced the raw, untamed guitar abandon of the '50s rock pioneers, Woodstock-era '60s rock (the Who/Hendrix) and the envelope-pushing of the '70s that began with the New York Dolls and culminated with the punk explosion at the decade's end. By 1983, however, Duran Duran straddled the bow of a boat and finger-snapped its way down the Rio and up to the top of the charts in a banana colored suit (look it up on YouTube). It was time to stick a fork in rock & roll.

A dreadlock-flailing singer appeared onstage at the Santa Clara club One Step Beyond in April 1989, proving that rock still had urgency, life and territory to explore. Along with another breakout band of that era, the Replacements, Jane's Addiction tore up the set list, lived for the moment and embodied—rather than performed—rock & roll.

Soon Jane's Addiction graduated from clubs to halls like the Warfield, where Perry Farrell postured like a crucified Jesus under a spotlight, then climbed the tent riggings at Shoreline in 1991 when his Lollapalooza touring rock festival catapulted the band to amphitheater headliner. The tension in the band by that time was palpable. Eric Avery stomped in a circle the entire show, looking down at the taped box on the stage floor that governed his movements and playing the angriest bass ever. Avery quit the band after that, sitting out reunions for 18 years. When Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea wielded the bass ax at the 1997 Enit Festival version of Jane's Addiction, emotional authenticity lost out to cerebral/psychedelic weirdness.

By then, a skinny kid named Trent Reznor had grabbed the baton in the anger relay and wanted to f us like an animal. During Nine Inch Nails' July 1991 Lollapalooza set, Reznor attacked his band mate James Woolley and toppled his keyboard. Any suspicion that this was just theater evaporated when Woolley left the band three years later, citing physical abuse. Reznor then retreated to wrestle his demons, touring only once between 1995, when he appeared with David Bowie at Shoreline and bonked my sister in the head with a full water bottle hurled from the stage, and 2005, when he re-emerged better behaved to take his industrial art to the next level. Harnessing new lighting and sound technologies in a powerful show captured on the 2007 Blu-ray DVD Beside You in Time—one of the best recorded concerts ever to hit a flat panel—Reznor has grown stronger with reinvention, applying edge as well to his business model as one of the few major artists to release complete albums for free on the Internet.

If Reznor had any role in patching up the rift between Avery and his band mates, as well as in engineering this epic pairing of supergroups, it's worth a call to the Nobel Foundation. On Friday, both bands return to the scene of the crime. Reznor, Avery and Farrell, along with original Jane's Addiction bandmates Stephen Perkins and Dave Navarro, will share the same Shoreline stage for the first time in 18 years. That's not a long wait at all for a show this big.

JANE'S ADDICTION and NINE INCH NAILS perform Friday (May 22) at Shoreline Amphitheatre. Tickets are $19–$59. (408.998.TIXS)
http://www.metroactive.com/metro/05.20. ... -0920.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

As ESFOS might say:

Show #11 :biggrin:
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Last edited by Mike on Sat May 23, 2009 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

My buddy just called.
They're playing Then She Did... and I'm stuck on the other side of the Country. :(

ONE WEEK!
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

http://yfrog.com/0k47oj

Dave just tweeted this one. :lol:
I'm guessing they're off stage and getting ready for the encore.

http://twitpic.com/5r11w

http://twitpic.com/5r1dm
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Some of the comments tonight from Twitter.
virtue: Yeah! Jane's Addiction is on now!
about 1 hour ago from TwitterBerry

floraisadora: #jane's addiction three days first song!
about 1 hour ago from TwitterMail

rosemary_m: Tom Morello + nine inch nails + jane's addiction = the BEST day of my life
about 1 hour ago from web

mujah: Never mind. I forgot how awesome Jane's Addiction was.
about 1 hour ago from SimplyTweet

MiguelEscobar: I'm guess you have to be stoned to enjoy Jane's addiction....?
about 1 hour ago from txt

Heddaville: Jane's Addiction is high school nostalgia slapping me upside the head!
about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific

worthyadvisor: Must download more jane's addiction....(note to self)

frenchs: Holy shit...NIN was great, but jane's addiction are killing it!
about 1 hour ago from Tweetie

shawn888: Jane's addiction is rockin'

Bohor: Jane's Addiction looks like a really spectacularly rendered version of Rock Band.
43 minutes ago from mobile web

afex: Jane's Addiction exists solely as a medium upon which dave navarro can wail
40 minutes ago from Twitterrific

virtue: Great concert. Jane's Addiction is killing the crowd & Perry Farrell is hot in his black leather corset! #fb
39 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

ohsnapwnt: I never realized how much i liked jane's addiction - yet i rarely actually listen to them. I'm gonna have to go on a download spree...
39 minutes ago from txt

ayonoi: Jane's Addiction is fucking epic.
15 minutes ago from mobile web

phaseburn: And in a puff of (pot) smoke, Jane's Addiction proves they never should have broken up at all. Rock on, gentlemen. Rock on.
8 minutes ago from twidroid

toolittlecakes: Jane's Addiction, folks. Up there with Sonic Youth for folks you need to see.
8 minutes ago from txt

marciabac: Jane's addiction is insane!
1 minute ago from txt

vniow: > @madisonyoung Seriously. Jane's Addiction is amazing. I'm really impressed with their show.
4 minutes ago from TwitterFon

FeminaPotens: Jane's Addiction is made of win. Perry Farell in a corset and a shirtless Dave Navarro. *fans self* Oh, and the show is amazing too.
2 minutes ago from Tweetie

brooksrocco: Jane's Addiction, you've won me over
2 minutes ago from TwitterBerry
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Mudget
Xenon West

Post by Mudget »

The Sets (bold indicates new to the tour)

NIN
01. Home
02. 1,000,000
03. Terrible Lie
04. Discipline
05. March of the Pigs
06. Piggy
07. Metal
08. The Becoming
09. Burn
10. Gave Up
11. The Fragile