2009.06.02 Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto, CA

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Perry Farrell vs. Trent Reznor in NIN/JA Show

Posted by Roger Cullman - Filed in Music - June 4, 2009

Seeing Nine Inch Nails alongside Jane's Addiction in one show (dubbed the NiN/JA tour) was a real treat. For some, it was deja vu, as the two bands last shared the stage during the debut of the Lollapalooza festival back in '91, which was started by Jane's Addiction's Perry Farrell himself.

Some of the fans in attendance Tuesday night at the Molson Amphitheatre weren't even born then, noted Perry Farell, during his band's 90-minute set.

Opening up the show was a pleasant surprise of a band for me: Street Sweeper Social Club, featuring Tom Morello (of Rage Against the Machine) and Boots Riley (of The Coup). The four-piece band graced the stage in matching black and red, chic army blazers and t-shirts, full of energy and enthusiasm.

Their third song in was a heavy rockin' cover of "Paper Planes" by M.I.A., which cranked up the crowd's enthusiasm a notch. Riley was really enjoying himself on that huge stage, proclaiming "We're not just a band, we're a social club" in between songs. I look forward to their debut album, scheduled for release June 16.

When Nine Inch Nails took the stage, it was still light out and the sense I got from the crowd was that they weren't used to listening to this kinda music in broad daylight.

Second song in, Terrible Lie, off the now 20-year-old Pretty Hate Machine album, helped some of those with goth tendencies to lose their inhibitions and start dancing along.

Trent Reznor was his typical rambunctious self on stage, knocking over instruments as if it wasn't just part of the show but part of the song itself.

With his jet-black hair and sideburns, clad in a light black jacket over a white v-neck t-shirt and tearing into his Gibson Les Paul, he could have been channeling Elvis.

Reznor didn't let up, right through their hour-and-a-half set, including David Bowie's I'm Afraid of Americans (which Nine Inch Nails remixed) and culminating in Head Like A Whole and Hurt. The stage setup was typically stark, with banks of lights overhead and enough power (both visual and aural) to propel their songs with full effect.

It was dark by the time Jane's Addiction took the stage with a 10-minute-plus version of Three Days.

The backdrop was elaborately adorned with a black and red motif, eclipsed by giant figures of a naked woman casting their eyes down on the stage.

Farrell was in full command, prancing about in a fantastic Brechtian/S&M mishmash of an outfit that included a leather corset, black satiny flared pants, a black, frilly scarf and a feathery tail of sorts. How does one accessorize such an outfit? With a pair of leather maracas, of course!

The band, sporting their original lineup, was as tight as ever. With guitarist Dave Navarro and bassist Eric Avery on each side of him, Farrell looked at ease and totally in his element, his constant grin in sharp contrast to Reznor's scowl. It's hard to believe that Farrell is 50 years old now.

Farrell gave many shout outs to Toronto throughout their set. During the encore, he admitted that two days out of 18 years was far too short a time to spend in our fair city. "Should I stop?" he teasingly asked the crowd? "Go... Stop! Go!" before launching into the frenetic Stop. Here's hoping the godfathers of alternative rock music never stop.

They ended the night with what they described as their favourite song, Jane Says, from their debut album Nothing's Shocking. Drummer Stephen Perkins took to a steel drum, Avery picked up an acoustic guitar and Farrell clutched a bottle of vino as he sung a stripped-down version of the tune which had most of the audience singing along.

By the end of the show, a peculiar puddle emerged that took up almost half the area of the floors, leaving huge gaps in front of the stage. It wasn't raining, so it was a mystery where the three-inch-deep puddle came from. Upon closer inspection, it was obvious that the drain had backed up and regurgitated all over the place.

Some took this as an opportunity to splash about while most huddled even closer together up at the front by the stage. It didn't seem to dampen the spirits of the elated crowd after an evening of a stellar show.
http://www.blogto.com/music/2009/06/per ... inja_show/

There are some killer pictures posted along with this story!
You can check them out at the link above or at this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wordfreak/ ... 175168950/
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

N.I.N.J.A. Tour 2009

June 3rd, 2009

According to Wikipedia, a ninja is a warrior specially trained in a variety of unorthodox arts of war, including assassination, illusion, espionage, and various martial arts. Well, last night’s N.I.N.J.A. show at Toronto’s Molson Amphitheatre delivered just that – complete with black suits and all (albeit leather)!

Nine Inch Nails KILLED IT right from opener “Terrible Lie”. This time around, Trent’s rock army took centre stage while spectacular lights took a back seat. If anyone caught them on their last tour, you’ll know what I’m talking about (craziest light show ever, which sent me into some fantastic epileptic-like shock). Playing to a nearly full-house, NIN’s set fit perfectly into the oncoming dusk and eerily timed icy wind from Lake Ontario. With seemingly endless energy, front man Trent Reznor dominated the stage while seamlessly switching from guitar to keyboard to mic to destroyer (you know you’re at a rock show when the roadies are on stage as much as the band). Trent’s latest addition to the NIN team, Ilan Rubin on drums, (think Animal from the Muppets) proved he could hold his own amidst the hurricane that is Reznor.

Looking across the crowd, you got a full appreciation for the success and longevity of all things Trent. NIN, in one form or another, has been around for over 20 years, and still holds a tight grip on their fans today, as they did way back when. From sprouting cotton-heads to the barely-legals, fans seemed to span generations. And with a catalog that spans 8 major and 4 remix albums, and countless singles and B-sides, fans are always guaranteed something new at every show. This time it was Trent’s “I’m Afraid of Americans” collaboration with Bowie that stole the show. Before the tour, Trent admitted to never playing it live before, and much to the delight of devotees everywhere he has resurrected the track. Maybe next time we’ll see Ziggy Stardust join him on stage for it!

Despite an outdoor gig in mid-twilight, NIN looked and sounded amazing. The best example of the extraordinary ambience was witnessed during one of NIN’s biggest hits: “Hurt”. A sea of actual lighters (ya, like real fire people) magically appeared as far as the eye could see, during the four and a half minute sing-a-long. Not cells … good ol’ wick-n-flame. How very 1992.

Speaking of Back to the Future, after a short break (recess!), recently reunited fellow 90s rock gods Jane’s Addiction took the stage by storm. Their almost 90 minute set began with a wild montage of busty pinups and movie clips (a la River Wild and Natural Born Killers) then crept into “Three Day”s – a hearty and lengthy tune I never would have guessed to be their opening number. Donned in a corset the way only he can, Perry Farrell pranced and swooned and gyrated with glee, while the ageless Dave Navarro dominated the guitar (honestly, I want whatever it is he’s taking). It was the return of bassist Eric Avery that seemed to have all the groupies gossiping though – as he effortlessly leapt from one solid tune to another, and kept pace with his fellow scene-stealers.

Despite claiming to now be all grown’d up and drug-free, the Jane’s boys took us on one helluva trip … pulling out songs from both Nothings Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual. Never leading fans too far out to sea, Jane’s set went full steam ahead into such fan faves as “Been Caught Stealing” and “Pigs In Zen”, right through to lesser-knowns like Mountain Song and Ocean Size.

1991 or 2009 – no matter … the best weapon these NINJAs have is time. And it’s been oh so kind.

Posted on Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 at 4:08 pm by Stacey and is filed under Blog, Concert Reviews.
http://blog.muchmusic.com/ninja-tour-2009/

Last bumped by Mike on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:48 pm.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."