2009.07.14 M.E.N. Arena, Manchester, England

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
Jude
Be Live

2009.07.14 M.E.N. Arena, Manchester, England

Post by Jude »

I still can't believe I'm going to see two of my favourite bands in the same night when I see Jane's and Nin soon, but now I've realised one of my other fav bands are playing, Mew! How lucky can one girl be?
Anyone else going?
NiGHTS
Power Tools

Post by NiGHTS »

I almost got tickets but I decided I could only afford to go to the London one. I've been meaning to check out Mew for a while, I've been hearing good things for ages.

Nice to see someone that looks as young as me on here at last. :lol:
Christina
Power Tools

Re: Manchester!

Post by Christina »

Jude wrote:I still can't believe I'm going to see two of my favourite bands in the same night when I see Jane's and Nin soon, but now I've realised one of my other fav bands are playing, Mew! How lucky can one girl be?
Anyone else going?
That's awesome - i won't be there (live in states) I can imagine how excited you are! Hope you have a great time!
Japhy
Be Live

Post by Japhy »

NiGHTS wrote:I almost got tickets but I decided I could only afford to go to the London one. I've been meaning to check out Mew for a while, I've been hearing good things for ages.

Ah nights... you bailing on Manchester then?! Never mind... the lift is still on if you change your mind bro. PB convinced me to do both with his "you never know with this band" line - and that boy hits almost every show going so the least i can do is 2! Aren't / weren't you a dj? I was hoping you'd sort the tunes out in the car!!!

Japh
NiGHTS
Power Tools

Post by NiGHTS »

Yes I.... was. Well, less DJ and more 'Cross Fader'. Well remembered though.

Unfortunately my payslip is against me. Although I may have just been able to book that night off work so there's still the possibility. Are there still tickets? You've got seated haven't you, Japhy?
Japhy
Be Live

Post by Japhy »

yes mate, i grabbed a seat. Not as good as pit maybe, but better than not being there. Plus i can always try to get standing on the day or something. Not too fussed to be honest! Anyway, plenty of tickets still left so the options deffo there if you do change your mind. If you chipped in a tenner for petrol, that would be enough for me.

It's Janes pal, with EA! And you never know, they might go mental and mix the set-list up between the 2 shows...!

Understand the money situation, so I'll leave it with you. Just let me know - the lift option will always be open.

Japh
Mudget
Xenon West

Post by Mudget »

I'm really starting to get into Mew now! Should be a killer lineup.
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Jude
Be Live

Post by Jude »

NiGHTS wrote:I almost got tickets but I decided I could only afford to go to the London one. I've been meaning to check out Mew for a while, I've been hearing good things for ages.

Mew are 9and were last night) great, been into them about 3 years. 'Am I wry? No' and 'The Zookeeper's Boy' are good to start with.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Jane's Addiction/Nine Inch Nails
Manchester Arena

Dave Simpson
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 15 July 2009 23.05 BST

This is as close as 2009 gets to 1991 – two alternative titans playing together for the first time since that year's Lollapalooza tour, and a massive audience dressed in black. The reappearance of Jane's Addiction's classic lineup – featuring bassist Eric Avery for the first time in 18 years – adds to the nostalgia for a time when these two US groups signposted rock's future.

Jane's Addiction still sound both brutal and sensual, Avery's bass rumbles like an articulated lorry, and, at a wiry 50, Perry Farrell's schtick is still hilarious. "Everybody shake your maracas," he says, demonstrating how, in X-rated detail. But their newer hooks don't tickle the bits touched by golden oldie Been Caught Stealing.

This is Nine Inch Nail's Trent Reznor's "wave goodbye" to touring – perhaps so the very muscular 44-year-old can now spend all his time in the gym. He's clearly more rounded today than the disturbed individual who recorded Pretty Hate Machine and lived in the house that hosted the Manson killings. Now, he says really disturbing things like "Thank you." However, at full pelt, Nine Inch Nails are the closest rock gets to a Nuremberg rally: black uniforms, massed arms in the air and a crowd being shouted at by a charismatic and not overly tall orator.

Reznor's industrial-rock blitzkriegs – Head Like a Hole and Something Real – remain awesome. But an uneven set loses impact with soundtracky blind avenues, though there are plenty of glimpses of Reznor's vast influence on music. Hurt – with its lyric "Everyone I know goes away in the end" – hasn't sounded such a powerful goodbye since Johnny Cash memorably covered it. Presumably with that in mind, Reznor has chosen the perfect moment to get out.

Nine Inch Nails are at the Sonisphere festival, Knebworth on 2 August. Details: uk.sonispherefestivals.com
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/ju ... -addiction
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."