2009.10.31 City Park, New Orleans, LA

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Jane's Addiction and lots of zombies close out Voodoo Fest
By Rick Jervis, USA TODAY

NEW ORLEANS — Fairies danced with evil clowns, rock stars roiled seas of fans and zombies gathered en masse at the music-festival-slash-freak-show that became the Voodoo Art and Music Festival this Halloween weekend.

Singer Perry Farrell of headlining group Jane's Addiction summed it up Saturday night: "This is the perfect place to spend Halloween, wouldn't you say so?" he told the crowd of several thousand revelers. "Let's celebrate death!"

The outdoor three-day, five-stage art and music festival, known as Voodoo Fest, kicked off Friday with French DJ duo Justice spinning tracks and creating an open-air dance party. Torrential rains drenched spectators. But several thousand shouldered the cold, wet weather to see rapper Eminem in his first full live performance in five years. Joined by his rap collective D12, he got the crowd singing along with hits like The Real Slim Shady, Drug Ballad and the Academy-Award-winning Lose Yourself.

"I'm back y'all," he said to the cheering crowd. "You miss me?"

Halloween Saturday drew thousands of costumed spectators, eager to watch headliners Jane's Addiction and KISS. Fans wandered the fairgrounds dressed as pirates, goblins, Smurfs, saints, devils, giant beer cans, oversized chickens — and zombies. Lots and lots of zombies. Festival organizers called on spectators to try to break the Guinness Book of World Records mark for Largest Gathering of Zombies. The number to beat: 4,026, set in England.

"It doesn't get any better than this," said Angie Beall, 29, of Bay St. Louis, Miss., who was dressed as a 19th-century, blood-spattered zombie. "Halloween weekend and KISS."

Spectators weren't the only ones dressed for the occasion. West Coast husband-and-wife duo Mates of State jammed on one of the stages costumed as 1970s husband-and-wife duo The Captain & Tennille. "No, we don't always look like this," singer/keyboardist Kori Gardner joked.

Unlike Friday's downpours, Saturday stayed cool and sunny. Spectators mingled between alternative rock sounds and New Orleans' traditional music. On one of the smaller stages, local famed trumpeter Irvin Mayfield and Leon "Chocolate" Brown traded blistering trumpet solos as they covered tunes from Miles Davis and Domino Fats.

On the other side of the festival, boisterous gypsy punk band Gogol Bordello sparked a frantic dance party. The mix of horns, guitars and accordions sent the crowd into a dancing frenzy, including a large group of ladybugs, giant turtles, zombies and bumblebees who jammed together, arm-in-arm.

"People here know how to party," said Dickinson Prentiss, 55, from San Francisco, who was dressed as one of the members of the 1980s New Wave group Devo. "I'm humbled."

KISS, their face covered in signature grease paint and dressed in full costume, down to 10-inch-high platform boots, thrilled the crowd with plumes of onstage fire, a massive fireworks display and rock anthems Rock and Roll All Nite and Detroit Rock City.

Jane's Addiction, on their reunion tour, added to the festival's carnival vibe. Farrell and guitarist Dave Navarro rocked the crowd with such jams as Three Days, Stop and Been Caught Stealing. Midway through the set, Farrell addressed New Orleans' ongoing rebuilding from the devastating floods of Hurricane Katrina. Many neighborhoods surrounding the festival are still recovering from the 2005 destruction.

"We know how devastating the water and the ocean can be when it rages," he said. "Keep rebuilding. Don't stop."

For their encore performance, the group crammed the stage with costumed spectators. Devils, zombies, baby dolls, clowns and a man dressed as Elvis danced onstage as the group played their signature hit, Jane Says.

"I feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience," said Jorge Vega, 39, who traveled from Brooklyn, N.Y., to see the band. "Amazing."
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news ... se02_N.htm
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Jane’s Addiction setlist
Up the Beach
Mountain Song
Ain’t No Right
Three Days
Whores
Then She Did
Been Caught Stealing
Ocean Size
Ted Just Admit It
Summertime Rolls
Stop

Encore
Jane Says
Chip Away
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/vibes/ ... -saturday/
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I like Perry's outfit.
It's perfect for the venue / holiday.

Eric looks bad ass in that pic too.

Best part of that review was that last line.
It pretty much sums up how I've felt at many a Jane's show.

Lucky bastards got Chip Away!

bman and Mudget I await your reports. :coffee:
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
bman
Music Machine

Post by bman »

Just got back from New Orleans...Jane's Addiction Fucking Rocked!
I was 2nd row dead center. I went right up to the front as soon as Gogol Bordello ended..I think they are awful by the way! 90 minutes of bar room gypsy music where every song sounded the same. Crowd loved them though..So after an hour long wait the crowd really fills up and stage is being set. They had the same backdrop as the NinJa tour. Janes finally hits the stage and opens with Beach. Eric Avery is a beast and was into this show bigtime..He was awesome all night and plays like he's possesed. They sound so damn good..It was loud as hell too. Three Days, Whores, Then she did, Ted..they all sounded so damn powerful....Couple of things..Perry's outfit..Hated it! They also tried to recreate the Ritual Cover during the intro to three days..They played the same Kevin Bacon movie intro and had the images of the chicks. Perry, Etty and another girl were leaning up against a bed frame(??) and had the red cloth around them..It only lasted a few moments but I wasn't really into it....Etty and the other girl were on the rocking chair for Ted and dancing a bit. That was pretty hot actually! When they came on the stage for summertime rolls Eric and Stephen came out first and started the groove. Perry came out and started singing..dave wasn't even plugged in yet and he started playing after Perry's 2nd sentence...Dave sort of had a 'what the fuck' look on his face and shared a smile with Perkins..Perry cam over later in the song and gave him a kiss on the cheek...But the show was very very very good and the crowd loved it.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

That's awesome bman but what I really want to know is how was Chip Away?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
bman
Music Machine

Post by bman »

Chip away was great. I never was a fan of that song back in the day b/c I never saw it live..But I've seen it twice now and it is a GREAT way to close the show. I wish Perry would wait a little longer though before starting the "up from The Catacombs' line.

It was a really great show. Pretty rowdy crowd too.
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Last edited by hydro on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:43 am, edited 6 times in total.