2010.02.21 Eastern Creek Raceway, Sydney, Australia

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Nothing's Shocking wrote:Great pics!

Thanks for posting them hydro!
my pleasure Mike :!: :)
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2.21.10 Sydney, AUS

Post by Mike »

DJs endangered in metal's blast furnace

February 25, 2010 - 2:39PM

SOUNDWAVE
Eastern Creek, February 21
Reviewed by Adam Fulton

"I HATE DJs," declared one bloke's T-shirt, neatly summarising the twin sensibilities of a day where ferocity ruled the stages and disc spinners were endangered.

Soundwave is all about rock and metal, but that doesn't mean its dozens of bands were predictable or homogenous.

Reformed headliner Faith No More showed how to grind but stay gripping, coating a pulverising guitar crunch and the lunatic vocals of ringleader Mike Patton with lounge-act parody. His emergence in a glimmering silver suit and their '70s easy-listening opener, Reunited, set the tone.

Whether creeping, cackling, hollering through megaphones or going all soft in Easy, Patton seems nearly as maniacal as his voice is versatile. It's a pity their heyday guitarist, Jim Martin, hasn't rejoined.

Jane's Addiction, also reunited, injected their freaky sexuality, revisiting striking motifs with the help of two twin-like, flesh-baring dancers. Perry Farrell's voice rarely rises to his former Milky Way heights and he now looks more vaudevillian cabaret than alt-rock hero – that's Dave Navarro's job – but they still crank and soar, the leader's odd banter confirming he's as weirded-out as ever. Original bassist Eric Avery paced and scowled but from the icy distance between him and Farrell, there's no love lost there.

Real ice would've been welcome. As the mercury soared past 35 degrees, a nasty flaw emerged across the lawns of Eastern Creek: there's not nearly enough shade or quick access to free water.

The St John first-aid workers were flat out handling the results and depleted punters used cardboard boxes, T-shirts, anything, to shield from the punishing sun. If heavy metal were forged with molten steel and blast furnaces, its workshop could scarcely have been hotter.

But Soundwave's heatwave didn't dissuade the bands. Gallows got raves for their savagery, Eagles of Death Metal did the trucker-rock joke with aplomb, Placebo gave an engaging dose of post-glam and Hayley Williams's verve lifted Paramore's pop punk on a day light on feminine touches.

Nothing could stop the day's comic highlight, Anvil. The Spinal Tap-esque troupers delighted all with a grinning set replete with lumbering '80s metal and every rock cliche around.

“I'd just like to thank everybody here today,” declared frontman Steve "Lips" Kudlow, “for helping me make my dreams f---in' come true, man.” And the crowd was with them. Especially the ones who hated DJs.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainmen ... 22688.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2.21.10 Eastern Creek Raceway, Sydney, Australia

Post by Mike »

Up The Beach & Mountain Song

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad5tEnIUxOQ[/youtube]

Last bumped by Mike on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:28 pm.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."