2010.05.06 Guitar Center, Hollywood, CA

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: Jane's Addiction Coming In 3D To A TV Near You Soon

Post by helicine »

Handsome Mike wrote:I'm definitely going to find a way to check this out and record it this month.
I hate to say it Mike, but you're going to have a hell of a time doing that. Getting an analog stereo recording of the audio probably won't be that hard - but anything more than that will require a lot more work. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it won't be easy - it's not like you can just hook up a VCR to record it.
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:
Handsome Mike wrote:I'm definitely going to find a way to check this out and record it this month.
I hate to say it Mike, but you're going to have a hell of a time doing that. Getting an analog stereo recording of the audio probably won't be that hard - but anything more than that will require a lot more work. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it won't be easy - it's not like you can just hook up a VCR to record it.
You are so harshing my mellow. :slap: :lol:
I was chatting with a buddy who records all kinds of stuff last night and he told me the same thing.

What a bummer. :banghead:
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

I just got dirctv hooked up a month or so ago.
I don't have any of these 3d channels :mad: im confussed do you have to have a 3d tv to get the 3d channels?
I will have to remember to call them in the morning and see whats up??
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

hydro wrote:I just got dirctv hooked up a month or so ago.
I don't have any of these 3d channels :mad: im confussed do you have to have a 3d tv to get the 3d channels?
you have to have HD service from DirecTV to get the 3D channels
and then even if you have HD, the 3D channels are blocked w/o a compatible 3DTV
I posted something I found online a while back, back on page 1, on how to circumvent the 3D TV requirement (that post is designed for those w/ a 3DTV that works w/ the signal, but isn't "recognized" by the hardware handshaking stuff that goes on in the background)
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

hydro wrote:I just got dirctv hooked up a month or so ago.
Hey hydro, this is the link that Erik was talking about.
helicine wrote:There is a non-free workaround:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/20/how-t ... output-3d/
I was checking out that device and it looks like you have to have the following for it to work:

Direct TV (my understanding is they're broadcasting in HD for free now)
HDTV with HDMI inputs
The gizmo at the above link
HDMI cables

I think that's it but if I'm wrong Erik can chime in and correct me.
Of course if you're rich you can just go out and buy a brand new 3D TV.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

just having the device isn't enough, you have to program it:
DirecTV's receivers are simply checking for specific EDID information via HDMI, so a simple device like Gefen's HDMI Detective can trick the satellite receiver. All you have to do is connect the Detective to one of the officially supported 3DTVs (might require a trip to the TV store) and record the EDID information. Then you connect it inline to your DirecTV receiver and you can enjoy yourself some 3D
and of course that is easier said than done, especially if you have to do it at a store
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

DirecTV 3D: Prepare To Gag
Topic: Home Entertainment
Posted on Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:34:45 CDT | by Jordan Cressman

The team over at Cnet has taken DirecTV's new 3D lineup for a spin, and to sum up their impressions: "we needed an airline sickness bag."

Cnet's reviews of 3D material have seemed somewhat over-cautionary, as they've said that the images that we at I4U have seen without any trouble, made them "queasy."

However, they went out of their way to say DirecTV's N3D channel was far worse than any Blu-ray 3D content they've seen so far.

Talking about the channel's show Guitar Sessions with Jane's Addiction, Cnet 3D guru David Katzmaier wrote, "At times the artists almost seemed like cardboard cutouts on-stage--we got the sense of planes of depth instead of a smooth recession from foreground into background."

Katzmaier went so far as to say the channel should be pulled from the air. Of course, it is one of the very first 3D-only channels ever, so there are bound to be some hiccups and some mixed reception. However, DirecTV should be commended for leading the way, as it is the only TV provider actively putting 3D content on the air for consumers that are hungry for it.
http://www.i4u.com/article36058.html
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

July 6, 2010 7:13 AM PDT
DirecTV launches first all-3D channel, we almost launch lunch
by David Katzmaier

Our first experience watching n3D, DirecTV's new, exclusive all-3D TV channel, was a mixed bag. At times we felt we needed an airline sickness bag.

DirecTV launched n3D last week, delivering the first all-time, all-3D channel anywhere, and so my colleague Matthew Moskovciak and I took a gander using our HR24 high-def DVR and a 65-inch Panasonic TC-P65VT25. The TV delivered a superb 3D experience on Blu-ray material we've seen, namely 3D movies made for kids, but when fed the material on n3D, the experience was less impressive.

The first sequence we watched was "Guitar Sessions with Jane's Addiction," an intimate acoustic concert. The 3D effect seemed forced to both of us, with too much depth in the image. For example, singer Perry Ferrel's in his white shirt stood too far into the foreground compared with the drums and especially with the wall behind the band. At times the artists almost seemed like cardboard cutouts on-stage--we got the sense of planes of depth instead of a smooth recession from foreground into background. The worst issue came when the head of an audience member appeared in the extreme foreground, seeming to hover artificially in front of the frame of the picture. The Peter Gabriel concert had similar issues.

On the other hand the sense of depth in "Sessions" was quite convincing and at times we forgot these issues and enjoyed the presentation thoroughly, especially during closeups such as a shot of the guitarist's hand over the sound hole. Visible detail was solid, without the softness we've seen on 3D World Cup games, but certainly not to the same level as the 3D Blu-rays like "Coraline." "Sessions" was significantly better than what came on next, however.

The only other sequence we saw in our brief view was a preview of a documentary about Africa called "African Adventure: Safari in the Okavango," and as soon as it appeared both Matt and I immediately expressed dismay and felt a powerful sense of nausea. The perspective, seen mostly from the back of a moving Jeep on Safari, was all wrong, with way too much depth. Combining that exaggerated 3D effect with the shaky camera movement was too much, and we both quickly removed the glasses before the brief preview even finished.

We agree with Gary Merson of HDGuru.com, who said in his review of n3D: "At this time we feel it would be best for DirecTV to take it ['Okavango'] off the air and only rebroadcast it if it can be fixed in post production." Merson's writeup has better things to say of many other programs on the channel, none of which we saw ourselves, as well as some good technical information on the channel itself.

In our opinion, the launch of a 3D channel using relatively unimpressive demo material does little to help the adoption of a TV technology that, judging from reader comments at CNET and other sites, has a long way to go to achieve widespread acceptance. Three-dimensional content can look great (see "Avatar") if broadcasters and content producers prioritize maintaining viewer comfort and a sense of immersion over 3D gimmickry and overly aggressive depth.

We're curious to know what you think. Have you seen n3D? Do you care? Let us know in the comments.
http://news.cnet.com/crave/?keyword=3D+TV
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Post by tvrec »

DirecTV has been airing the Peter Gabriel session on its 101 channel, a sort of preview channel of sorts. It's on 20 or so times over the next couple of weeks. Maybe they'll run the Jane's one on this channel, too, without the 3D shite.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

tvrec wrote:DirecTV has been airing the Peter Gabriel session on its 101 channel, a sort of preview channel of sorts. It's on 20 or so times over the next couple of weeks. Maybe they'll run the Jane's one on this channel, too, without the 3D shite.
I read over the weekend that this was going to be airing in September.
I can't remember what channel but I'll peek around and see if I can find the story I was reading.

I was under the impression that it had already aired but I'm starting to think the people who were reviewing it saw some kind of preview or something.

I can't wait to see / hear this again! :wootwoot: