Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
hydro
Addict

2011.04.30 Pizza Hut Park, Frisco, TX

Post by hydro »

Jane's Addiction, Weezer to Play Edge Fest 21

By GREG JANDA
Updated 5:45 PM CST, Fri, Feb 25, 2011

KDGE 102.1-FM just announced the lineup for their twenty-first Edge Fest including headliners Jane's Addiction and Weezer.

Fourteen bands were announced to play the April 30 festival at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco. Social Disortion, Seether, Neon Trees, A Day to Remember, Airborne Toxic Event, Young the Giant, Middle Class Rut, and Electric Touch will join the two headliners on the main stage while the second stage will host Flogging Molly, Dirty Heads, New Politics, AWOL Nation and others to be determined later.

A new addition this year are floor seats on the pitch of Pizza Hut Park and a smaller pit area than traditionally set up. We like the change, but we're super lazy anyway and almost always pick seating when possible.

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m., Friday, March 4, 2011. Prices coming soon.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/events/ ... 52718.html

http://edgefest.kdge.com/main.html
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2011.04.30 Pizza Hut Park, Frisco, TX

Post by Mike »

Farrell gets set for Edgefest action

Frontman talks about the Jane's Addiction pre-show ritual

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

By Cole Garner Hill / Special contributor

Is an introduction really necessary for Perry Farrell? Even if you aren't immediately familiar with the singer for Jane's Addiction, chances are you already know him well.

Farrell's presence in rock music over the last three decades cannot be overstated. His role in founding the heralded Lollapalooza music festival. The eight times a day "Jane Says" blasts from the Edge's radio signal, forcing everyone from frat boys to reformed rockers to wax nostalgic. The theme song to Entourage.

All of these things are possible because of Farrell's hyena-in-a-top-hat charisma. His vision for his music – and as a fan of music in general – has helped shape many of the ways we experience rock today.

Before Jane's Addiction plays Edgefest, we caught up with Farrell by phone after his performance at Coachella. He reflected on how his approach to music has changed over the years, dished on Jane's Addiction's new record, and explained how he'll prepare to take the stage Saturday. Cole Garner Hill

Q: What's up? How are you today?

Farrell: I'm great. Just driving back from playing Coachella. I'm on my way to record at the studio. This drive is crazy, man.

Q: How far are you into recording the new record?

Farrell: We're far enough that if we all just get in there and put work in, we're going to complete a really, really nice album. We're going to do highlights. We have much of the ground already covered. Now we'll do guitar strokes, solos. I'll probably listen to it and throw some highs on my parts where I hear them, things like that. I'd say it will be completely done in a month and a half at the longest.

Q: How do these sessions compare to your past with Jane's Addiction? The band hasn't recorded together in almost a decade.

Farrell: I am enjoying it. I'm not sure if it's because I've finally gotten old enough to calm down, and just let things kind of unfold or what. In the past, there was a lot more friction. This time the process is much different in that we're working with software and computers and synthesizers as well as our own instruments. The other difference is that now we write by "mail," whereas there wasn't even that option back in those days. I don't know which is better. ... I can tell you one thing: It sure takes a lot less time out of my day. Though, I actually put more time into my writing now than I ever did. I record more hours than I ever did before now, too.

For example, I'll take three days to finish a song. But I'll spend three days in the studio just singing. Whereas, back then, I'd ride in on my motorcycle, get high in the bathroom, sing for, what? An hour or two. Then I'd take off. Then someone else would take care of everything for me. But now I record in my home, I have my own engineer, I'll start at 1 p.m., until my kids have to go to sleep so they can't make any more noise.

What I like especially about what I'm doing today, you know, bands, they used to have a little bit of an attitude back in the mid-'80s. This is where music was at. Bass player? Plays on every part. Drum player? Plays on every part. Guitar player? Plays on every part. Whereas now, because of the software and people producing whole tracks all by themselves, there was no ego anywhere. Songs were written where there were complete dropouts and they felt good. And that is a little, little sliver of the evolution of songwriting.

So, now that we're working with these modern things, our attitude has had to change. Where you're not playing on this part, and that's OK – it's for the greater good of the song. This is what we're doing today. That's what I look forward to, and what I like about writing this record.

Q: You just got done touring South America with Jane's Addiction. What was that like?

Farrell: Honestly, the people were probably some of the most enthusiastic we've ever played for. Fifty-thousand-plus in Chile ... the Peruvians just went nuts. They were great audiences.

Q: Were you playing the new album, or have you finished writing everything?

Farrell: We play one song, which is the one that we released online, "End to the Lies." We performed that; it felt really good. We look to do maybe another one, but we want to do it at a certain pace. ... I know people are there to hear our classics. And the record will come out, like, Aug. 23, so we'll have another song out to the public in another month or so.

Q: You've been touring and playing festivals for years now. Do you have any special preshow rituals before shows like Edgefest?

Farrell: Sure. Wanna hear it?

Q: ... Yes.

Farrell: OK. And this is true. I get in a room with some really hot, hot women, and we kind of start disrobing. And it's true, we do, we change in front of each other. And we start drinking. And laughing, and looking at each other in the mirror. And touching. That's my ritual. Then I go to another room, and I start singing with my guys. We just start jamming. So, by the time I go out on stage, I'm all hot and bothered and I feel like rocking. That's it. The whole time I'm drinking. [Laughs.]

Q: What's your ritual like when you play shows with your wife?

Farrell: It's the same, except there's just one hot lady.

EDGEFEST 21

Featuring Weezer, Jane's Addiction, Social Distortion, Seether, Neon Trees, Panic at the Disco, the Airborne Toxic Event and more. Saturday at 11 a.m. at Pizza Hut Park. 9200 World Cup Way, Frisco. $35.88-$78.16. 1-800-745-3000. ticketmaster.com.
http://www.quickdfw.com/sharedcontent/d ... 7c705.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Here's a couple clips from last night's show.
According to the uploader of this first clip they opened the show with Stop!.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBTB1uOUImM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPGq6e400pE[/youtube]

There's also a really good interview Perry did with 102.1 The Edge while in Texas that I've posted on the home page.

http://janesaddiction.org/2011/05/01/10 ... y-farrell/
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Over The Weekend: Edgefest 21 at Pizza Hut Park

By Chelsea Upton, Mon., May 2 2011 @ 9:20AM

Edgefest 21 with Jane's Addiction, Weezer, Social Distortion, Flogging Molly and others
Pizza Hut Park in Frisco
April 30, 2011

Better than:
staying at home, engaged in a rousing game of Tetris.

Every year, in the cruel summer heat, KDGE-102.1-FM The Edge's annual Edgefest concert draws large crowds for equally large acts, and this year's event at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco was no exception.

Hot Topic-clad teenagers, grungy degenerates, and hardcore alt-rock fans gathered even in the earlier hours for a day filled with music, smoke and booze.

The real highlights of the day, however, started shortly after 5 p.m., as Los Angeles' Celtic punk rock heores, Flogging Molly, took to the smaller of the venue's two stages. It seemed odd that Flogging Molly was billed to play so early; they drew a very large and energetic crowd. Fans danced a jig, crowd surfed and moshed as if their lives depended on it, while the band merrily played the popular songs off of their catalog. "Drunken Lullabies," "Devil's Dance Floor" and "What's Left of the Flag" were the biggest crowd favorites in a set also filled with tracks off of the band's upcoming, unreleased album.

Almost a blink after Flogging Molly had finished their set, Seether began on the main stage, with the crowd quickly moving stages to catch the act. Seether's performance was nothing out of the ordinary, right down to their Nirvana cover (this time, it was "Heart Shaped Box"). The crowd didn't seem to care, though, as they danced and sang along to the songs that they were so familiar with.

After Seether, a small chunk of the fans left the audience, ditching the next band only to come back for Weezer's performance later on in the night.

The band that they ditched? Legendary punk rockers Social Distortion.

Except for a few, most that stayed for Social Distortion's set weren't really interested in the band onstage. They stood still and watched as the band played an otherwise engaging set, barely moving even for fan favorites like "Ball and Chain" and "Story of My Life."

The crowd's reaction to Weezer was a sharp contrast to that of Social Distortion; they danced, chanted and sang as Rivers Cuomo made jokes about having pizza parties. (Because this show was at Pizza Hut Park! Get it?) The band's radio hits were a huge success, but one of the more poignant moments of the night was when Cuomo tried to get the audience to sing a part of "El Scorcho," a popular song off of his band's second album, Pinkerton. The crowd didn't know the words. Interestingly, they had no such problem with newer songs "Beverly Hills" and "Pork and Beans."

Because of the earlier, less-than-thrilled reaction to Social Distortion, Jane's Addiction's set came with some worries: Would Edgefest attendees even stick around to see the headliner? Thankfully, that turned out not to be an issue. Some left, but the crowd remained close to its original size.

Good thing, too: Those that left early missed out on one of the best performances of the year.

As soon as the curtain for the main stage dropped, Jane's Addiction began their visual and aural assault on the audience. Background dancers dangled from the rafters, performing somersaults in the air, while the band launched into a gut-wrenching, mind-blowing set -- almost as if it was 1987 all over again.

It was truly a great way to end the night.

Critic's Notebook
Personal Bias:
I found Weezer's last three albums incredibly disappointing. So yeah, I was there for Jane's Addiction.

By The Way: Among Rivers Cuomo's Pizza Hut Park jokes: "Sing it like you really want that pizza!" and "I think the Lord has a special pizza in store for you tonight!"

Random Note: The screens by the stage are nice for those of us who aren't sitting close enough to the stage to see the band. So it was really annoying that, about half of the time the screen was showing crowd shots (or more accurately, topless women) ,instead of the bands that were playing. Boobs are cool and all, but Jane's Addiction was onstage. Priorities.
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/201 ... ddicti.php
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

oops, meant to post this a while ago - here is the setlist:

Main Set:
Stop!
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It...
Superhero
End To The Lies
Three Days
Whores
Been Caught Stealing
Ocean Size

Enore:
Mountain Song
janesaddiction.org
kamrankhanma
Luddite

Post by kamrankhanma »

hmmmm thanks for this info i love pizza hut park :heart:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Bumped for archival purposes.