2011.05.06 Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info
hydro
Addict

Re: 2011.05.06 Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA

Post by hydro »

Three Days
[yt]http://youtu.be/06ZASz2Wn3E[/yt]
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Dave Gahans acceptance speech
[yt]http://youtu.be/O1CP-PCzgVo[/yt]
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

photo credit: Frazer Harrison

photo credit: Kevin Winter

Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Steven Tyler, Jane's Addiction Honor Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan for Sobriety

Posted on May 7th 2011 3:15PM by Steve Baltin

Over his illustrious career, Depeche Mode frontman Dave Gahan has won a lot of awards, but the latest, which he was presented with last night at L.A.'s Club Nokia at the annual MAP/Musicares event, left the singer a bit perplexed. "They said they were going to honor me with some kind of award, which I'm still confused about," Gahan told Spinner on the red carpet.

Gahan was given the Stevie Ray Vaughan award, which has been given in the past to Chris Cornell and James Hetfield among others, and while Gahan was modest about it beforehand, the honor, for both sobriety and help to the music community, is a big one. And that was reflected in the night's festivities, which began with Ozomatli, who threw a raucous rendition of Depeche Mode's 'Just Can't get Enough' into their set and Paramore, performing two scaled down songs, both on-hand to pay tribute to the night's other honoree -- Warped tour founder Kevin Lyman, who was cited for his charity work and help to other musicians.

During Paramore's set, frontwoman Hayley Williams said, "Kevin has been kind of a godfather to us." Though Lyman joked in his acceptance speech that Paramore's presence was probably the only thing that kept his older daughter from blowing off the family this night for a Ke$ha show, the night held special significance for him because of his own relationship with Gahan.

"I almost went to work for him once," Lyman told Spinner. "After Lollapalooza I almost went to work for Depeche Mode, but decided to keep doing what I was doing at that point."

After Lyman's presentation the focus turned to Gahan, who had hand selected Jane's Addiction to perform. "They were a big part of my life in Los Angeles musically," Gahan said. "I went out on quite a few shows on the first Lollapalooza tour when Jane's were headlining and I saw them quite a few times in Los Angeles when they were just coming up."

Jane's Addiction were up to the honor, delivering a three-song set highlighted by a gloriously extended, trippy and forceful 'Three Days' that had Steven Tyler shaking his head in admiration and the place on the verge of exploding in rock fury. After the song, Jane's frontman Perry Farrell dedicated the song to Dave, who had requested that one.

Following Jane's, Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington, a longtime Depeche fan, took the stage for an impressive acoustic version of 'The Messenger,' a song he said was about his oldest child, now 15, nearing the point of going off on their own, but one he thought could also apply to recovery, the theme of the night.

It is a testament to the longevity and influence of Depeche, the wide array of people on hand to pay their respects to Gahan, from Jane's and Bennington to Tyler, who presented Gahan the award. In his brief speech, he paid tribute to the band calling them "one of the most electrifying live bands ever." Gahan, who beforehand told Spinner he was excited to get up and play with some of his L.A. friends, put all his best rock star moves forward during an electrifying 35-minute set that featured the glorious moment of his covering Joy Division's seminal 'Love Will tear Us Apart.' And yes, the frontman of Depeche Mode covering maybe the greatest synth song of all time was as spectactular as it sounds.

Gahan had another surprise though, bringing up Martin L. Gore as a surprise for the fans. The two teamed up for the final 'Personal Jesus.'
http://www.spinner.com/2011/05/07/steve ... -sobriety/

Reading that I thought it was really cool of the guys to bust out Three Days by request. :cool:
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

"Mountain Song"
[yt]http://youtu.be/SWCf0awaS74[/yt]

"Stop!"
[yt]http://youtu.be/LXT1krwxjYk[/yt]
Charles
One West

Post by Charles »

Wow they sound great! Loving Perrys echos.... really adds to the Jane's vibe!
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Bumped for archival purposes.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."