1985.07.?? - Golden Bear, Huntington Beach, CA - Psi-Com

Perry, Eric, Dave, & Stephen's road to Jane's Addiction
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1985.07.?? - Golden Bear, Huntington Beach, CA - Psi-Com

Post by Mike »

09/27/1985 - Golden Bear, Huntington Beach, CA

Yet another new show for the gig listing.
Question is which band is it for?

This could be an Illuminotic gig or it could turn out to be a new contender for the earliest know Jane's Addiction show title.

It's certainly not a Psi-Com show as this person commented.
Fishbone at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, around '83. (The opening act, PsiCom, was hilariously awful; I learned years later that it was Perry Farrell's first band, and they only played like 5 shows before they mercifully broke up and he formed Jane's Addiction.)
http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/ ... c=45032.50

Fishbone lists this show on their site.
Although there is no mention of any band fronted by Perry opening the show.

http://www.fishbonelive.org/concert_arc ... 9-27/1592/

More research will be needed to confirm this one.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I added this show to the Illuminotic gig list.

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/tour_det ... ourID=1565

Fishbone did play at the Golden Bear on this date.
Just tonight I found an ad that proves this 100%.

However there is no mention of Illuminotic in the ad. :(
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1985.09.27 Golden Bear, Huntington Beach, CA - Illuminotic

Post by Mike »

Here’s a flyer for this show. Sadly still no mention of Illuminotic or Jane’s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

From the Oct 3 1985 LA Weekly - lists Fishbone, and that is it
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 5.56.19 PM.png
nothing from the previous week's edition for 9/27
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Digging around on my computer I found this... not terribly helpful and we can't even say it is for this particular show :noclude:
5a43_1.jpg
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1985.09.27 - Golden Bear, Huntington Beach, CA - Illuminotic

Post by Mike »

Fuck me if I haven’t been trying to figure this date out for a long long time. Got some good intel from one of the principal participants and we may be able to nail this down once and for all. Looks like the guy who put me onto this date all those years ago was right and it was a Psi-Com show after all.
612CD03B-3BD8-43A9-BB65-D505F1CC8D23.jpeg
Perry posted this photo from a video chat he had with Aaron Sherer and Aaron shared it. When he did I took the opportunity to ask some questions.

Michael Walters: Fingers crossed that this “project“ has something to do with some previously unreleased Psi-Com music. 🎼🤞

Tom N. Smith: Driving you guys to the Golden Bear in Huntington for the gig with Fishbone is literally a major highlight of my life!

Michael Walters: Tom N. Smith Was this possibly an Illuminotic gig? https://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/il ... 9-27/1565/

Aaron Sherer: Michael Walters No, it wasn’t. Actually, I think it was the last show ever for the old, original Golden Bear. Perry and I did just a few gigs as the Illuminatics. Pretty sure that they were at the Anti Club.

Michael Walters: Aaron Sherer thanks! I’ve been trying to figure this out for years. I just need to figure out when that last show was then?

Tom N. Smith: I am afraid I can't help narrow down the dates for you after all these years either Michael Walters... you are in the right year. I was between enlistments in the Air Force and there was around a six month break where I was with Aaron Sherer and family in LA (he is my brother in law).

Tom N. Smith: according to Fishbone's wiki they played the Golden Bear September 27th 1985, that has to be the Psi Com gig too.

Robin Sherer-Smith: Summer 1985, Tom. I think it was in mid July because we'd been in LA a few weeks.