another new flyer courtesy of Jay

show page: http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/psi ... 07-14/796/
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1984.07.14 - Anti-Club, Los Angeles, CA - Psi Com

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:Image
While certainly not the prettiest of Jay's flyer collection this image is very important in the effort to determine the members of the band at various stages of its existence.

I think we can say although not with 100% certainty that the band was Perry Farrell, Aaron Sherer, Vince Duran, Mariska Leyssius, and Rich Evac from our earliest show listing up until and including this show.

Then at some point after this show Mariska and Rich left at which point the band held auditions for the vacant bass position.

We have the so called "Garage Audition" tape of what is purported to be Jeff Wendler trying out that's dated 1984.

The book Whores (if I'm remembering correctly) says the January 05, 1985 Gila Monster Jamboree show was Kelly Wheeler's first on bass with the band.

So this leaves us to find out exactly when Mariska and Rich left and only about a five month period of time where we don't have at least a educated guess as the band's membership.

Thanks so much for your help in figuring out this puzzle Jay! :cool:
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Would it be safe to assume that Aaron Sherer joined Psi Com after Perry did? It would be logical that if Perry originally responded to the band looking for a drummer, but quickly ended up being the band's singer, then the band would still need a drummer.
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:Would it be safe to assume that Aaron Sherer joined Psi Com after Perry did? It would be logical that if Perry originally responded to the band looking for a drummer, but quickly ended up being the band's singer, then the band would still need a drummer.
Awe shit! :oops:
Yeah I think you're correct and I think this might be mentioned in Whores as well.
I'm going to pull out my copy and see if we can narrow this stuff down some but I'll hold off making any changes until after we've had some further discussion on the matter.

I still say it's an important flyer though. :nod:

We should safely be able to add the lineup info for the shows between the March 1984 Worktape 1 recording session and this show thanks to this flyer at any rate and that's at least a step in the right direction.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
RiotNrrrd
Power Tools

Post by RiotNrrrd »

I can't remember for sure, but this might have been the show where I got their Worktape 1.

I'm reasonably sure I got it in mid 1984 at the Anti-Club, as they played several shows there. Of course I could be completely full of it :lol: But given the March date of the tape and my memories of where I saw them (which also included the Club Lingerie show with Test Dept. in July of 1984; maybe I bought it there - ask Rich Evac when they started selling Worktape 1 at the shows?!?), I'd guess it was roughly in this timeframe.
RiotNrrrd
Power Tools

Post by RiotNrrrd »

From looking at the flyer, this was the Theoretical party show.

Someone in the Facebook THEORETICAL group just posted 3 photos of Psi Com on stage during that gig! :shock:

As you can see, Mariska is on the left and Rich Evac is on bass - just how I remember them! What a find!

(I don't see myself in the crowd btw, so maybe I was further back or my ex and I didn't go this time.)

Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

RiotNrrrd wrote:From looking at the flyer, this was the Theoretical party show.

Someone in the Facebook THEORETICAL group just posted 3 photos of Psi Com on stage during that gig! :shock:

As you can see, Mariska is on the left and Rich Evac is on bass - just how I remember them! What a find!

(I don't see myself in the crowd btw, so maybe I was further back or my ex and I didn't go this time.)
I saw these on facebook and they are fantastic.
I have one other picture I snagged off THEORETICAL.com of Perry that I'm 99.9% certain is from the same show.

I am curious how you decided that these pics are from 7/14/1984 based on that handbill though?
RiotNrrrd
Power Tools

Post by RiotNrrrd »

I was using mathematical induction Mike - if the photos were posted in the THEORETICAL FB group, and the photos are from the Anti-Club show, wasn't this 7/14/84 show the only time Psi Com played at the Anti-Club at a THEORETICAL? The other Anti-Club gigs were all just 'regular' gigs. (Right?)

And now I see both Mariska & Aaron are in the THEORETICAL group! This is so fantastic.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

RiotNrrrd wrote:I was using mathematical induction Mike - if the photos were posted in the THEORETICAL FB group, and the photos are from the Anti-Club show, wasn't this 7/14/84 show the only time Psi Com played at the Anti-Club at a THEORETICAL? The other Anti-Club gigs were all just 'regular' gigs. (Right?)

And now I see both Mariska & Aaron are in the THEORETICAL group! This is so fantastic.
My problem is we have no proof that the 7/14/1984 show was a Theoretical show.
The only other Anti-Club date we have on record is September 03, 1983 - Anti-Club @ Eddie's Cafe, Los Angeles, CA

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/psi ... 9-03/1536/

We have no indication of that one being a Theoretical show either.

So it begs the question, are we missing another Anti-Club show that was a Theoretical event or were one of the two shows we have on the list Theoretical shows and we're just lacking that evidence?

I've hardly been on the computer at all the past few days because I'm trying to get settled in my new place and my PC is still here at the old place but I'm going to head over to facebook and see if the photographer has any info in regaurd to the correct date.

As it stands we only have one known Psi-Com Theoretical show and that was June 24, 1984 at Club Lingerie.
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/psi ... 6-24/1508/

Regardless of the date these were taken they're still fabulous to see and depending on their exact date could be the earliest know Psi-Com performance photos in existence.

Of course we don't know the exact date of the photos published in Whores that are from the Lingerie either. :lol:
ejs
Be Live

Post by ejs »

The top photo shows Perry holding a pair of drum sticks.
The second photo shows Perry with a tambourine hanging on his mic stand.

I don't think there are any other photos showing these things, clearly, as Perry played "percussion" in Psi Com, and that can be heard in some of the live recordings.