1984.01.11 Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA Flower Quartet

Perry, Eric, Dave, & Stephen's road to Jane's Addiction
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1984.01.11 Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA Flower Quartet

Post by Mike »

We've had a nice run in this section lately and here's a new Flower Quartet show to keep it going.

As you can see this calendar doesn't specify the month let alone the year so some work will need to be done to figure out the exact date beyond the 11th before we can add it to the gig list.

Based on the calendar the month this show took place in started on a Sunday and had 31 days in it.

The only month in 1983 that meets this criteria is May.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?ye ... &country=1

So this show could have happened on May 11, 1983 and if so would be the earliest know Flower Quartet show.

However when you look at a calendar for 1984 we have another two possibilities.
Both January and July of 1984 start on a Sunday and contain 31 days.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?ye ... &country=1

This would mean the show could have taken place on either January 11, 1984 or July 11, 1984.
However based on the info we have we can rule out the show having happened in July.

Our records show Eric in Massachusetts gigging with Yellow Dog Contract in April of 1984.

So we are left with two choices of dates for this show.
It happened on either May 11, 1983 or January 11, 1984.

I found the calendar on the Cathay de Grande facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002552929104

What say you intertwoven?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
vikkivale
L.A. Woman

Re: 198?.??.11 Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA Flower Quarte

Post by vikkivale »

Had an idea of another way to nail down date. What if we can find something mentioned online for one of the other bands listed? I noticed Butthole Surfers on the calendar, so I just did a quick search (without luck). But maybe one of you are more familiar with a bootleg sight where someone may have a recording or their show and then we'll know what month Flower Quartet played. Just a thought. ;)
www.lawomanphotography.com
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

not to add confusion but we can definitely rule out July of 84

“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

vikkivale wrote:Had an idea of another way to nail down date. What if we can find something mentioned online for one of the other bands listed? I noticed Butthole Surfers on the calendar, so I just did a quick search (without luck). But maybe one of you are more familiar with a bootleg sight where someone may have a recording or their show and then we'll know what month Flower Quartet played. Just a thought. ;)
:nod: good idea

so check this out, a quick google comes up with a trade list that has a show for the "Big Boys" on 1/15/84 - which would fit the calendar Mike found.

http://weldermatt.webs.com/tradesaj.htm
01-15-1984 All CDR Cathay De Grande, Hollywood, CA AUD(M) B+

edit - same show also is listed here on a fan site for Big Boys, and it lists nothing at Cathay de Grande in 83:
http://www.soundonsound.org/shows.html
janesaddiction.org
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

vikkivale wrote:Had an idea of another way to nail down date. What if we can find something mentioned online for one of the other bands listed? I noticed Butthole Surfers on the calendar, so I just did a quick search (without luck). But maybe one of you are more familiar with a bootleg sight where someone may have a recording or their show and then we'll know what month Flower Quartet played. Just a thought. ;)
in following your advise VV while searching for BS at the Cathay I came across this
Jerry Cesario (12:55:41) :

Wow…I happened upon this site this morning and couldn’t believe it. I was the lead singer for Unknown Society. I grew up in Redondo Beach, but my girlfriend lived in Playa Del Rey. I hung out in El Segundo with Ill Will and Western Waste a bit, and with Instigator down in Redondo (lots of Parties). My gf’s brother started the band and I sang. Just to set it straight, we recorded this around 1984 or 85. We did 4 songs in studio (I think the actual album has more of our songs on it) and we played some parties, then opened up for Social Distortion (Mike Ness was a friend somewhat and got us the gig), The Texas Butthole Surfers and The Big Boys at The Cathay De Grande around that time. After the gf and I split, so did the band and that was it.
http://maximumrocknroll.com/2009/05/25/ ... south-bay/

seems to me this guy Jerry was the singer for the band Unknown Society he says they opened for BS and for Big Boys at the Cathay both Big Boys and Butthole Surfers played there on the calender above posted by Mike. so we can at least assume 84 is the best yr
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

team work :yeay: :biggrin:
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

:cheers: I figure that is enough to at least list the show as unconfirmed on 1/11/84
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1984.01.11 Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA Flower Quarte

Post by Mike »

Nice work guys!
I spent hours looking at flyers and digging around trying to figure this one out since I found that calendar.

I'd say the 1/11/84 date is our winner! :cool:

This could be one of if not the last of the band's shows before they dissolved and headed East to Massachusetts.
With the January '84 date being proven it also opens up the possibility of several more shows by these guys taking place between the September 07, 1983 show and this one.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1984.01.11 Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA Flower Quarte

Post by Mike »

Show page: January 11, 1984 - Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/flo ... 1-11/2252/
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: 1984.01.11 Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA Flower Quartet

Post by helicine »

This one may be heading into "questionable" territory.

This is from the Jan 12, 1984 of the LA Weekly - it doesn't list any of the bands performing, just a "60's night"
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 5.34.19 PM.png
The Jan 8, 1984 LA Times has Leaving Trains & lists Water Carousel as the bands Waiter & Carousel :lol - no Flower Quartet
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 5.40.47 PM.png
The Jan 11, 1984 LA Times just lists Leaving Trains, still no Flower Quartet.
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 5.38.26 PM.png
I haven't added those to the show record yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
janesaddiction.org