1983.08.26 - Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA - Psi-Com

Perry, Eric, Dave, & Stephen's road to Jane's Addiction
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1983.08.26 - Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA - Psi-Com

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:The dates on these issues are driving me nuts. I'm working on the assumption that the blurbs from the cover archive are noting show reviews, that seems to be backed up by our estimated publication date for issue #3 as well as the blurb for issue #20 (11/4/83):
Rhythm Lounge, Malaga Castle party Laurel Canyon party with Tupelo Chain Sex, SPAZZ ATTACK at China Club, Peter Beckman's Halloween party, Mau Mau at Co Co Club and The Fluids
Both issues #17 and #20 have Friday publication dates, yet the date on issue #10 (8/25) is a Thursday. However, I may have found a good reason for that. 8/25/83 was the start of the Sunset Junction Street Fair. Seems reasonable that they'd want to put that issue out a day early so the new magazine could gain exposure at a big event like that.

So issue #10 of Scratch Magazine places Psi Com's show at Cathay de Grande taking place between 8/20 - 8/24.

Rolling back a week for issue #9 and going back to a Friday publication date, that would give us 8/19/83. This would still preclude that issue reviewing the 8/19 Psi Com show at The Co Co Club. Could PC have possibly played two shows at The Co Co Club that week? We've already established their first gig was 8/13/83. So if there was an additional Co Co Club show, it would have had to have taken place 8/14 - 8/18. That could be the case, or maybe the issue is reviewing the Hully Gully gig and previewing the 8/19 Co Co Club gig?

I think the only way we'll know for sure is finding a copy of that issue.

Regardless from Scratch #12, I think we can estimate the September show at The Co Co Club taking place between 9/2 and 9/8 (but not 9/3).

:thumb:
I think I figured out why issue #10 of Scratch came out one day early on Thursday instead of its usual Friday publication date. It turns out there was a benefit for Scratch on Friday the 26th at Cathay de Grande. I think it's safe to say they'd want to put out the issue a day early in an effort to reach as many people as possible and in turn raise as much money as possible.

I also think that I've managed to nail down the date of this Psi-Com show at the Cathay De Grande. :)

If you read the synopsis for issue #10 it says in part: "Psi-Com, Black Flag, Green On Red, and Tupelo Chain Sex at Cathay De Grande". While the ad below for the Green On Red and Tupelo Chain Sex show on August 21st doesn't mention Psi-Com it does say "And Special Guests". I believe Psi-Com were one of those guests.

Because the ad doesn't mention Psi-Com we can't say with 100% certainty that they played at this show and therefore this show will retain its status as unconfirmed for the time being.

I found all three scans on the Cathay De Grande facebook page.
Last edited by Mike on Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: Psi-Com Gig Listing

Post by helicine »

:cheers: good stuff - we might want to break out some of this stuff into it's own thread
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote::cheers: good stuff - we might want to break out some of this stuff into it's own thread
I thought about doing that and will go ahead and do it seeing as you like the idea as well. :thumb:
What I'm going to do is make a copy of this thread and edit and /or delete posts to make the copied thread pertain to this Cathay De Grande show only.

I take it you're in agreement with my dating of this show based on the ad and the info contained in the synopsis for issue #10 of Scratch?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Mike wrote:I take it you're in agreement with my dating of this show based on the ad and the info contained in the synopsis for issue #10 of Scratch?
:nod:
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote:I think I figured out why issue #10 of Scratch came out one day early on Thursday instead of its usual Friday publication date.
Well so much for my theory as far as why issue #10 came out on a Thursday instead of a Friday. :lol:
I just found a picture of the cover for Vol. 1 No. 2 and it came out on June 30, 1983 which was a Thursday.

I found the picture on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75909278@N ... hotostream

I guess maybe Scratch just came out on whatever day of the week Ruben Blue decided he wanted to issue it?
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: 1983.08.21 - Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA

Post by helicine »

I've got an upgrade of that newspaper clipping from LA Weeky

The Cathay de Grande show listing for that date from that same paper do not list anything for 8/21
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1983.08.21 - Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA

Post by Mike »

Ha ha Ha ha ha! Probably couldn’t find anything because I was wrong when I guessed the show was on the 21st. The show actually happened on the 26th and I will post the ephemera I found shortly.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1983.08.26 - Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA

Post by Mike »

All right for sometime now I thought this show took place on August 21 but it turns out I was wrong and the show actually took place on August 26. While these listings don’t list Psi-Com they do mention Scratch Magazine and that’s all we have to go by right now as far as a date is concerned.

If we are ever to confirm this show 100% we are going to need to get our mitts on a copy of Scratch Magazine Vol. 1 No. 10. For now we have these listings that at least give us the correct date.

Both listings are taken from the LA Weekly dated August 26-September 1, 1983
FE57B01C-95B4-4CAE-A481-4D4CB4B2B849.jpeg
A5FD5BB9-EA4B-4CB2-97D4-5792BEFD77A4.jpeg
36D6114C-16CB-4140-846F-F13AC76D86FD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1983.08.26 - Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA - Psi-Com

Post by Mike »

I was just flipping through pictures on my phone and realized I have a flyer for this show. It’s been on my phone for going on three years now and I have no idea where I got it from. Possibly the Cathay Facebook page. :noclue:
26444BDA-99FC-4E33-90AD-A2CBD1BD646A.jpeg
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1983.08.26 - Cathay de Grande, Hollywood, CA - Psi-Com

Post by Mike »

Listing from the “Camel Soundboard“ pages of the LA Weekly dated August 26-September 1, 1983
38C47387-42E5-4E87-8F9A-2D4CD709C322.jpeg