2012.03.02 The Palace Theatre, Albany, NY

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info from the 2012 tour
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2012.03.02 The Palace Theatre, Albany, NY

Post by Mike »

Godflesh999 wrote:And nice pic, whoever took it. My wife tried to take one with her iphone, but the marquee was too bright...didn't come out.
Yeah that dude's pic came out really good.
If only he could have gotten the whole thing but beggars can't be choosers.

Oh and I'm sure helicine can relate to your issues trying to take pictures of the marquee.
He had some fun of his own in Detroit. :lol:
Godflesh999 wrote:Also...I saved my tix, so if you'd like a scan for the site, I'd be more than happy to oblige. Lemme know...
We'd love to have a scan of your ticket stub for the site. :nod:

Here's the set list that was passed along by a friend of the site.

"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Just wanted to comment that "Just Because" was definitely played before "Mountain Song"...
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Mike wrote:
Godflesh999 wrote:Setlist:

Underground
Just Because
Mountain Song
[Dave did a "Breathe" (Pink Floyd) tease in between songs]
Been Caught Stealin'
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It
Broken People
I Would For You
Jane Says
Chip Away
End of the Lies
Three Days
Stop!
[Encore] - Words Right Out of My Mouth, Ocean Size

Pretty decent show, but felt a little disjointed in places...I Would for You had to be restarted because Chris's bass was out of tune. The slower songs kind of killed the momentum they had going at the beginning, but the end of the show was pretty blazing, IMO.
Awe nice you got to hear Broken People for the first time they've played it this tour.
How'd you like it? Did it go over well? Did they play it acoustic or electric?
I heard it back in 2010 both acoustic or electric and liked it really well.
One of my favorites on the new album.
Yeah, I was surprised that they threw it in there, too. It was an electric version, and I think that it was well received, but IMO it was part of the slowness that killed the momentum of the show. I tend to like the heavier and faster stuff on the new album.
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Mike wrote:
Godflesh999 wrote:And nice pic, whoever took it. My wife tried to take one with her iphone, but the marquee was too bright...didn't come out.
Yeah that dude's pic came out really good.
If only he could have gotten the whole thing but beggars can't be choosers.

Oh and I'm sure helicine can relate to your issues trying to take pictures of the marquee.
He had some fun of his own in Detroit. :lol:
Godflesh999 wrote:Also...I saved my tix, so if you'd like a scan for the site, I'd be more than happy to oblige. Lemme know...
We'd love to have a scan of your ticket stub for the site. :nod:

Here's the set list that was passed along by a friend of the site.

Cool...I have to head into work in a few minutes, but I'll scan it and post later on today...
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Godflesh999 wrote:Just wanted to comment that "Just Because" was definitely played before "Mountain Song"...
Good catch!
I looked it over and compared it to what you posted and missed that. :dunce:
Godflesh999 wrote:
Mike wrote:[Awe nice you got to hear Broken People for the first time they've played it this tour.
How'd you like it? Did it go over well? Did they play it acoustic or electric?
I heard it back in 2010 both acoustic or electric and liked it really well.
One of my favorites on the new album.
Yeah, I was surprised that they threw it in there, too. It was an electric version, and I think that it was well received, but IMO it was part of the slowness that killed the momentum of the show. I tend to like the heavier and faster stuff on the new album.
I'm not surprised as we were told it was one of the songs they'd been rehearsing for the show but it's nice to see it make it's debut on this tour and that now makes six of the ten songs from the new album that have been played this tour.

The slowness you refer to to me is something that I've always liked about Jane's shows.
Just my two cents and I'm not trying to belittle your opinion but to me when they play/ed the slower numbers it was a chance to catch your breath or groove with your girl before the next onslaught began.

Different strokes I suppose but I like the ebb and flow of the faster vs slower songs.
Godflesh999 wrote:Cool...I have to head into work in a few minutes, but I'll scan it and post later on today...
Awesome! Thanks in advance. :cool:
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Jane’s Addiction @ Palace Theatre in Albany – 3/2/2012

March 3, 2012 at 10:46 am by Shannon Fromma, Times Union

Jane’s Addiction and their mélange of eclectic eye candy swept through Albany’s sold-out Palace Theatre Friday night. With a pair of story-tall nude statues, non-sequitur film clips and scantily-clad sex pots swinging about, it made sense that the carnival-like spectacle was conceived by one of alternative music’s most avant-garde acts.

Led by frontman Perry Farrell’s entrancing shrill, the group’s genre-bending blend of punk and rock rose from the catacombs of L.A.’s underground club scene in the mid-1980s. They paved the way for legions of alt-rockers with their cutting-edge sound and career-launching music festival, Lollapalooza, which Farrell conceived in 1991 as a farewell tour for a then folding Jane’s.

The “Theatre of Escapists Tour” brings to one again-off again band to the Capital Region for the first time in more than two decades. In April of ’91, they performed at the RPI Field House, returning in August for the aforementioned Lollapalooza at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Initially, the announcement was a bit of a head-scratcher. A band once privy to performing for tens of thousands at festivals, playing a small, historic theater? But, Farrell wanted intimacy, to immerse the audience in an “orgy of musical and visual delights.” And, that’s just what they did.

Before the band emerged to the eager audience, a small group of sullen-looking people were pulled across the stage on a rope like leashed dogs. Twice. Pink Floyd’s “Welcome to the Machine” welcomed the band to the stage with a roar from the mainly 30-and-older crowd. Dressed in a ribbed white tank, jacked and tie, Farrell, joined by Dave Navarro on lead guitar, Stephen Perkins on drums and Chris Chaney on bass, opened the night with “Underground” from their most recent album, “The Great Escape Artist.” Two women (one of which was Farrell’s wife, Etty) in seriously long frocks swung above the band, who then proceeded with ”Just Because” from the 2003′s “Strays” and the classic “Mountain Song” off their debut album, “Nothing’s Shocking.” The amped-up “Ain’t No Right” and “Been Caught Stealing” off “Ritual de lo Habitual” shook the walls of the theater (certainly the balcony ledge we were sitting on).

The 51-year-old Farrell sounded good and he’s mastered the art of the echo, but not shockingly time has taken a toll on his instrument. His voice was not as strong as it once was (which he acknowledged at the end of the night) and was often overwhelmed by Navarro’s impeccable guitar playing.

There is no denying that the energetic, ever-charismatic front-man can still move. Farrell thrust about like he was 30 years younger during a flashy rendition of “Ted, Just Admit It” while sex-up filmed clips rolled and Navarro inevitably lost his shirt.

A creepy man came out with a baby doll, strapped it to a noose and proceeded to slice himself with a razor (at times the metaphors were puzzling), just before the band toned things down for an acoustic mid-set before a tall, stuffed bear. The acoustic, kettle drum version of arguably their most popular hit, “Jane Says” was sweet and certainly pleased the crowd.

Highlights from the remainder of their nearly two-hour set kept coming, and included Navarro and Chaney joining Perkins to play drums on one of the band’s earliest songs “Trip Away,” an entrancing rendition of of the dark, “Three Days” and a showstopping “Stop!’.

One of the low lights was without a doubt the topless woman in the front row that was overly eager to join the band’s experience, much to nearly every one’s chagrin (especially Perkins whom she decided to maul as the band graciously big farewell to fans).

Belgian garage rockers, Black Box Revelation, opened the show to a slim but enthusiastic crowd. The duo of vocalist and guitarist Jan Paternoster and drummer Dries Van Dijck set the tone with their eclectic, edgy sound. Reminiscent of the Black Keys or White Stripes with a Mick Jagger/Oasis edge, the band played 40 minutes of songs from their repertoire, including their recently-released “Shiver of Joy,” in what Paternoster described as “one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever played.”

CONCERT REVIEW:
Who: Jane’s Addiction with Black Box Revelation
Where: Palace Theatre, 19 Clinton Street, Albany
When: 8:30 p.m. Friday
Tickets: Sold out crown of almost 2,900
Length: Black Box Revelation: 40 minutes; Jane’s Addiction 1 hour, 50 minutes
Info: 465-3334; http://www.palacetheatre.com
http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts/ja ... 012/21995/
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Just wanted to point out that the above reviewer obviously confused Chip Away and Trip Away.
The pervert in me wants to see video of the bare breasted woman that mauled Perk at the end of the show but it hasn't shown up on youtube yet. :twisted: :lol:

Underground

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME2AHqdiP9A[/youtube]

Mountain Song

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnK_1qCLTUs[/youtube]

Been Caught Stealing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Qox-tZ5HE[/youtube]

Ain't No Right

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSDL_wK8gDA[/youtube]

I Would For You

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai97LEaEdyE[/youtube]

Jane Says

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CATslJr8OFY[/youtube]

Stop!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8JFnCh0zo[/youtube]

Words Right Out Of My Mouth

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwEfl2wFJkw[/youtube]

Ocean Size

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBwh-TtUvU8[/youtube]
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

As promised.
03-02-2012 Albany Ticket 1.jpeg
03-02-2012 Albany Ticket 2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Godflesh999
Xenon West

Post by Godflesh999 »

Godflesh999 wrote:
Mike wrote:The slowness you refer to to me is something that I've always liked about Jane's shows.
Just my two cents and I'm not trying to belittle your opinion but to me when they play/ed the slower numbers it was a chance to catch your breath or groove with your girl before the next onslaught began.

Different strokes I suppose but I like the ebb and flow of the faster vs slower songs.

I absolutely take no offense to your comment. After all... "Everybody has their own opinion". That's what makes the world so beautiful and so f'ed up.

Anyway, in an attempt to explain my position, I have a strong connection to "vintage" Jane's...lots of great memories from that time in my life, with Jane's as my soundtrack. I think I was soured to the fact that they decided to add drums (and electronic drums, no less) to "I Would For You". To my ears, I didn't think it fit and I think they should have left the song the way that it was. And I think I would have preferred hearing "Classic Girl" or "Summertime Rolls" thrown in the "slowed down" section for good measure.

But I also recognize that the band has to progress, too. Can't fault them. ;)

Anyway...one thing's for sure... that Perry can still bust a move!
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

:cheers: thanks for the ticket scans

Anyway, just so you know, JA use of electronic drums goes back to at least 1989 with performances of Jane Says.
janesaddiction.org