2012.03.03 State Theatre, Portland, ME

Post by helicine »

janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2012.03.03 State Theatre, Portland, ME

Post by Mike »

Farrell promises fan-friendly Jane's Addiction experience
The band's sold-out show at the State will feature a film component and a specific look that described as '1920s surrealist twist mixed with a '60s Warhol pop.'

By ALAN SCULLEY

A band promising a new type of concert experience usually sounds like little more than hype.

But coming from Perry Farrell, such a promise carries more weight. This is the man, after all, who founded the touring Lollapalooza Festival in 1991 -- an event that brought a whole new type of multi-act, multi-media tour to the summer live music scene.

Now Farrell is saying his band, Jane's Addiction, will give fans a different kind of concert than they've ever experienced on its current theater tour, which comes to Portland Saturday for a sold-out show at the State Theatre.

"I feel that it might be time for a new experience when people go out and listen to music and see musicians playing," he said. "Concerts have been around for 50 years now. From the concert came the festival. But where do we go from here? It doesn't necessarily have to go bigger. Things can actually become more intimate.

"And within that intimacy, when I mean intimate, I mean not only smaller, but the crowd will be more immersed in the performance. And the band, or the group, would be immersed into the audience. So that's what I'm working on."

Farrell didn't spell out exactly how Jane's Addiction will achieve this immersive concert experience, but he said there will be a film component to the show and a specific look that he described as "1920s surrealist twist mixed with a '60s Warhol pop."

Also, look for a show that's not confined to the stage.

"What you want to do is, you want to stretch out past just the stage," Farrell said. "You want to stretch yourself out past those monitors. And you also want to reach out and bring the audience closer to you, so you're not divided by barricades."

And there will be new music, courtesy of "The Great Escape Artist," the album that Jane's Addiction released last fall that peaked at No. 12 on the Billboard 200. It's only the fourth studio album in 25 years from a group that has had a stormy, intermittent -- and influential -- history.

Formed in Los Angeles in 1985, the group -- which included singer Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Eric Avery -- shook up the music scene with the wiry, kinetic and thoroughly modern style of rock that populated its first two studio CDs -- 1988's "Nothing's Shocking" and 1990's "Ritual de lo Habitual," two albums that blazed a trail for the generation of alt-rock acts that followed.

But then the group broke up, and two previous reunions failed to take. The latest reunion, which began in 2008, had its rocky moments as well. The original lineup attempted to start the new CD with Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor producing. It did not go well.

"It was a damn frustration, man," Farrell said. "We started out, we wrote a couple of tracks. They were pretty good, but they needed some work. But we immediately butted heads, to the point where there were complete blow-ups, to be honest with you. The band exploded, fighting over just trying some different notes."

Avery then bowed out and was replaced by former Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagen. But Farrell said much of the writing fell too close to "derivative straight rock," and McKagen split from the group in September 2010.

Farrell, Navarro and Perkins, though, did not give up on Jane's. With producer Rich Costey on board, the band resumed work on "The Great Escape Artist." It was Costey who suggested bringing in a fourth musician, TV On The Radio's Dave Sitek -- a talented producer in his own right -- to join the creative team and play bass on the CD.

Sitek injected a whole new energy and focus into the project, as well as some fresh sonic ideas.

"We've always been a band that was learning about music, learning about sound and then giving people the most contemporary sound that we could," Farrell said. "And Dave (Sitek) was kind of the vehicle. He was a key to opening the door to those sounds and teaching the guys how to play with those instruments and the software that he had. They were up for it, and they really got it together."

Now, with "The Great Escape Artist" under the band's belt (and bassist Chris Chaney in the touring lineup), Farrell is optimistic about the future of Jane's Addiction.

"I'm very enthusiastic about us," he said. "I see us doing another record, and it won't take another eight years. It will come faster than anybody ever thought."

Alan Sculley is a freelance writer.
http://www.pressherald.com/life/go/musi ... 03-01.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

So it looks like maybe no one from the site went last night? :noclue:
I took a look at old stand-by setlist.fm and they have the following set list for the show.

Underground
Mountain Song
Just Because
Been Caught Stealing
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It...
Broken People
Classic Girl
Jane Says
Chip Away
Irresistible Force
Three Days
Stop!
Encore:
Words Right Out of My Mouth
Ocean Size

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/janes-add ... ee40d.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

underground (incomplete)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5fvqVPy4Y[/youtube]

Jane Says

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxZAGYTLFFc[/youtube]

Chip Away (snippet)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ax0Q0r-OJM[/youtube]
bman
Music Machine

Post by bman »

I was really excited for this show and it was fun. I was pretty depressed though afterwords! Mainly b/c we are all getting old. I just turned 38 and feel that my youth and Janes (which have always been connected) is slipping away! Perry seemed tired. He needs to buzz his hair and lose the scarves! The venue was a typical theater. The entire show was GA. It was very easy to get up front. Opening act....I don't get it. We have that band in the US already. They're called The Black Keys! Janes comes on and opens with Underground. (I don't know if Perry sang any words in this one! Could have been lip synced. Not sure. Mountain, Just Because, and Been Caught stealing. I hate these songs. There's no mystique to these songs anymore. The 1st highlight for me was Broken People. I love that song and it sounded great. The next highlight was Irrestible Force. It kind of had a nice long intro and was great. Three Days was awesome and evryone was dancing around. That song is such a fucking classic and it will never get old. Words and Ocean were great too. ..So for me, Broken, Words, Force, Three Days, and Ocean were all awesome. The others were ok. Overall a good show. I've seen better Janes and worse Janes. Where was this big theatrical show? I really didn't see it! Etty, for all the hate she gets, is actually a very good performer. She's good at what she does. She was miked up for a couple of songs and I could actually hear her faintly. She gives it her all though. Perry seemed less into it than Etty and Dave tonight! Dave was doing his rock star stuff and seemed into the show a bit. There was much more interplay between Dave and Perry back in October. I guess overall I was slighly let down because the set needs changes. They dropped Whores! That's the best live song. Drop Mountain or BCS or Just BC. If those 3 were replaced with Had a Dad, Whores and even Hit you Back the show would be better. I was also kinda drunk and started yelling Patriots Suck, Go Jets at one point! I hope Perry brings the mood a little more tonight in NY. Time to drive six hours fellas!

Look for me up front.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Great photos from the show:

http://photos.tomcouture.com/120303
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

carmen_ambrose
Black Radio Club

Post by carmen_ambrose »

Hello! I went to this show, it was the first time I've been able to see Jane's live and that alone made it an incredible show for me! I grew up in NY but was a tad too young to hit the early shows (just turned 33), living in Maine for the past 8 years. Murphy's Law has hit me every time they played anywhere near me in the past 15 years, and I almost missed this one too but made it by the skin of my teeth! I agree with the above poster that Perry seemed a bit tired, I think they were in the middle of a 7-shows-in-9-days stretch so it's forgivable. I don't think I saw him with a bottle of wine in his hand but I could be wrong. Also, it took the crowd a little while to really get into it. I watched and danced and screamed like a psycho from the front line of one of the bar areas, then made my way down through the pit and was there for Jane Says and Chip Away. Found a couple helpful strangers that gave me a boost, and Perry pulled me out and hauled me on stage during Irresistible Force. AMAZING!!!! :heart: Definitely a crazy energy exchange that occurred, I will never forget his eyes. I found a video on YouTube, the guy that filmed it panned away to Dave as soon as I got on the stage - oh well, probably for the best as my dress & skirt had both been hiked well over my waist by the time I made it up there! At least I was wearing my super swanky coat, helped with the coverage haha! I'll post the video here later when I get home. So in all, my review is that the show was AWESOME ....but then again, I have a fairly strong bias ;)
P.S. If anyone has any pictures I would be eternally grateful ....already saw the fabulous shots by Tom Couture but what can I say ...I'm greedy, I want more!
mothra665
Räji's

Post by mothra665 »

'bman'
thanks for the review.
i could never phrase "it" into words & feelings, but i can definitely relate to your statement:

"I was pretty depressed though afterwards! Mainly b/c we are all getting old. I just turned 38 and feel that my youth and Janes (which have always been connected) is slipping away!"

though i have not been to any j.a. shows since my 2009 experiences, i feel you.
between age, weight gain, hair loss, political views & musical tastes.
the things i thought would never happen, well sorta did.

j.a. will always have a place in my music taste and heart, but in my 41 years my taste buds have guided me to to go back - and leaning towards:

newer stoner rock [electric wizard, ghost] / avant guard [zorn, mike patton] / 'glam' lou reed / zeppelin, the beginnings of t.rex / 1968-78 rolling stones / hendrix / metallica / janis and always the black crowes [along with chris & rich solo projects].

rich robinson just put on a hell of a show in cleveland for maybe 50 people - but played like it was thousands * i really felt his love for the art this past saturday march 10th.

when hanging with the chris robinson brotherhood this past fall in pittsburgh, he straight up told me they were losing money but just wanted to be out playing new material - after all the sold out crowes show he was humble to be in smaller venues.

i still love you jane's!

if 60% of the above artists took a shit,
jane's would be the fecal remains on the toilet tissue = a good thing, that is why i will always listen to anything they are involved in.

'bman' your statement really struck me to respond.
thanks and always have a good time!
"Whaddya doing cheering a guy over 30? Cuz I can still rock yer pants off yer fuckin' ass, and I'll do it 'till the day I die!"
Perry Farrell 07/20/1991
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

carmen_ambrose wrote:Hello! I went to this show, it was the first time I've been able to see Jane's live and that alone made it an incredible show for me! I grew up in NY but was a tad too young to hit the early shows (just turned 33), living in Maine for the past 8 years. Murphy's Law has hit me every time they played anywhere near me in the past 15 years, and I almost missed this one too but made it by the skin of my teeth! I agree with the above poster that Perry seemed a bit tired, I think they were in the middle of a 7-shows-in-9-days stretch so it's forgivable. I don't think I saw him with a bottle of wine in his hand but I could be wrong. Also, it took the crowd a little while to really get into it. I watched and danced and screamed like a psycho from the front line of one of the bar areas, then made my way down through the pit and was there for Jane Says and Chip Away. Found a couple helpful strangers that gave me a boost, and Perry pulled me out and hauled me on stage during Irresistible Force. AMAZING!!!! :heart: Definitely a crazy energy exchange that occurred, I will never forget his eyes. I found a video on YouTube, the guy that filmed it panned away to Dave as soon as I got on the stage - oh well, probably for the best as my dress & skirt had both been hiked well over my waist by the time I made it up there! At least I was wearing my super swanky coat, helped with the coverage haha! I'll post the video here later when I get home. So in all, my review is that the show was AWESOME ....but then again, I have a fairly strong bias ;)
P.S. If anyone has any pictures I would be eternally grateful ....already saw the fabulous shots by Tom Couture but what can I say ...I'm greedy, I want more!
Hey Carmen, I'm glad you made it to the show and it sounds like you had a pretty awesome night.
I've not seen any photos of any women up on stage with the band other than Etty and Stephanie but now that I know you're looking I'll keep an eye out.

Welcome to the site.