I Fix Shit

2012.05.19 Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, FL

Post by helicine »

janesaddiction.org
davy
Radio Tokyo

Re: 2012.05.19 Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, FL

Post by davy »

On my way. I'll let you know how it was.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

:thumb: :cheers:
janesaddiction.org
davy
Radio Tokyo

Post by davy »

Just got home. Wow... Same setlist, but 3 days and stop as encore. The mix was muddy at times, but I must say, again 9 years later Chaney fuckin' nailed it. The band waS IN TOP FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Good night friends.....
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Underground
Mountain Song
Just Because
Been Caught Stealing
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It...
Twisted Tales
Classic Girl
Jane Says
Chip Away
Up the Beach
Irresistible Force
(started Ocean Size then stopped)
Ocean Size
Encore:
Three Days
Stop!
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/janes-add ... f8908.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mudget
Xenon West

Post by Mudget »

Yeah, another great show.

Also saw them in Orlando, but did it right this time (got drunk and high). Better position last time (front and center) but better personal spirit this time. So both shows were great for different reasons, because the consistent thing was how good Jane's were, and how 'on' Perry's voice was for these shows.

Missing from both shows: really wet sound, the crazy Perry reverb that bounces around. Wish they'd put that back where it belongs. It's -there- but it's really unpronounced (without a soundboard recording of the show). I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I love the reverb.

In Orlando they did End to the Lies, in Clearwater they did Irresistible Force. They both sound great live. I'm not yet the biggest fan of Underground (for sure not as an opener, although I think it would follow 'Up the Beach' really well), nor a fan of Twisted Tales yet. They aren't playing my favorite songs on the new album out yet. My favorite song on there is 'I'll Hit You Back'.

Anyway, awesome show. Got to hang with Sage and Navarre a bit before the show, an unexpected little living piece of memorabilia for me to enjoy (they were the inspiration/designers of Dave's latest bondage Barbie doll).
bman
Music Machine

Post by bman »

I agree..Beach into Underground would be a real good 1-2 punch to open a show. They need to bring back Whores too.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Review: Jane's Addiction concert not for everybody

By Sean Daly, Times Pop Music Critic
In Print: Monday, May 21, 2012

CLEARWATER — Perry Farrell, the scrawny, spastic lead singer for odd-rockers Jane's Addiction, unloaded a numbing barrage of fever-dream images at a sold-out Ruth Eckerd Hall on Saturday: lusty bondage dancers being attacked by an equally randy giant spider, a naughty Mary Poppins robot legging it across the stage.

And, in the feel-bad portion of the night, a masked ogre putting plastic dolls in a noose then hanging himself. Um, hooray?!

But for all the cloying performance-art dumbness aimed at the frothed-up crowd of 2,180 — and wow, when's the last time REH saw a sweaty, besotted club throng like this? — nothing was as confounding as when the 53-year-old Farrell was trying to be normal. Here's a brief sampling of his casual 'tween-song banter, all delivered in earnest tones:

"I saw a gator across the street. I tried to get him to come over. I was going to eat him."

Cue the steel-drum-driven Jane Says, one of the debauched L.A. band's more accessible hits, even though it's about Farrell's heroin-addicted housemate.

"Florida is wild. No sidewalks. You don't have sidewalks, right?"

Cue Farrell and his mates unloading tribal-drum head-trip Chip Away, a pounding sound melange that either made you dizzy or desperate for Advil.

"Never before have I heard such beautiful applause for our gang of thieves."

Cue, um, oh whatever.

If you've always bought what Jane's has sold since its late-'80s, early-'90s heyday — especially seminal alt-rock albums Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual — the near-two-hour gig was out of this world.

If the whole thing seemed like a clock-watching slog after the fourth song of the set, well, you were in for a long haul.

As for me, I admit to a bit of clock-watching. Farrell is a smart dude, the creator of Lollapalooza. He's a free-thinker, uninterested in a normal concert experience. That's commendable in a way, but it should also come with a warning. The show was more like one of Farrell's side-gig raves, with vocals merely part of the sound, buried in the swirling punk-meets-electronica mix.

I spent most of my time following Dave Navarro, the band's effortlessly cool guitarist. Navarro, a tabloid fave for his Hollywood excesses and brief marriage to Carmen Electra, is a low-key Slash, his prickly, needle-sharp solos adding much-needed tangibility to Ted, Just Admit It... and Ocean Size.

Before the show-closing breakdown of Stop!, which allowed Navarro to really cut loose, Farrell said, "We can find the best time in the middle of nowhere. Yeah, man, time is endless."

Not quite sure what he was trying to say there. But as for "endless," yeah, man, I can relate.
http://www.tampabay.com/features/music/ ... dy/1231373
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mudget
Xenon West

Post by Mudget »

fair enough, if you're not a fan, you're not a fan. you gotta take the meh reviews along with the fluff ones, because the reviewers represent various aspects of the crowd. speaking of crowds, sometimes i have to go check out a video of jane's in a country other than the U.S. (like somewhere in central/south america) to remind myself that they've still "got it", it's the crowds that are lame now. if U.S. crowds went apeshit crazy like our southern counterparts still do (instead of standing there holding cell phones up and pumping their fists), reviewers would have a hard time writing reviews like this. granted, eckerd is a seated auditorium, but house of blues in orlando wasn't, and the crowd was just as tepid. people don't even DANCE anymore. it's lame. oh well. maybe that pendulum will somehow swing back in the direction of "letting go" at concerts again before jane's is no more. one can hope.
bman
Music Machine

Post by bman »

The NYC area shows get some crowd action. Those Irving Plaza shows back in October left me well bruised. But for the most part crowds are lame. I went to a spiritualized show a couple of weeks back and I swear it felt like a library. Janes at least up front you still get people going ape shit.