Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2012.05.23 Ovens Auditorium, Charlotte, NC

Post by Mike »

Alt-rock still modern with Jane's Addiction

By Courtney Devores
Correspondent
Posted: Friday, May. 18, 2012

With the release of its first album in eight years, “The Great Escape Artist,” Los Angeles alternative rock pioneers Jane’s Addiction have created a record that sounds modern without losing the legendary band’s essence.

Earlier this spring, the group – which includes founding members Perry Farrell, Dave Navarro and Stephen Perkins along with on-again, off-again bassist Chris Chaney – embarked on a headlining tour of large clubs and theaters. It brings the “Theater of Escapists” tour to Ovens Auditorium on Wednesday, with UK band the Duke Spirit opening.

Farrell spoke to The Observer about many of the differences between Jane’s now and then. Quotes have been edited for brevity and clarity.

Q. When veteran bands regroup, they often sound like they’re trying too hard to sound current, but don’t sound like themselves, or sound dated. Were those considerations?

Those two particular points are something you almost start out trying to jump over. Obstacles. You have a successful chemistry. You don’t want to mess with that. Q. How did you avoid those traps?

Dave Navarro, Stephen Perkins – they’re virtuosos. So the next thing you have to think about is what effects or new technology could you add on to that. If we put Stephen on an electronic drum kit and mix it with a trap kit it doesn’t sound so far off that it’s not us. We don’t want to get Dave off the guitar, but perhaps show him some things a guitar sampler can do and have him work off of that. Now he’s opening up his mind.

Q. Were you all spread out trading files or holed up in a practice space like the old days?

At the end we all got together and stitched it with a thick heavy thread, but initially the writing and especially for me recording vocals (were separate). In the old days I would take out a BSA motorcycle and fly across Los Angeles heading into The Valley and record (vocals) in The Valley. Now I have a studio in my home. Sometimes I would have three days on the average to finish those vocals. I was much happier with the results. The other difference is the technology was generating sounds and frequencies and opened up our minds to different musical possibilities.

Q. On the last tours, you’d been doing older material. Are you reinvigorated creatively?

If you’re resting on your laurels, it can get very old. Before this tour I was getting very disheartened, because I was doing just that. I was repeating myself and waiting for the time when we could put together a new show and perform new songs. I have a year’s development plan on this particular project. I’ve been keeping myself in the best health that I can because I’m looking forward to going onstage.

Q. What keeps drawing the band back together?

I think the chemistry and the history. People get one or two loves in their life. For me, Jane’s Addiction is that. The good news is that we’re getting older and understand and have at least the respect now. When we were young, none of us respected the other’s talents or personally. When there’s no reciprocation or gratitude that’s when things fall apart. Now we care about how each other feel.

PREVIEW

Jane’s Addiction

WHEN: 8:30 p.m. Wednesday.

WHERE: Ovens Auditorium, 2700 E. Independence Blvd.

TICKETS: $50.80-$72.35.

DETAILS: 704-335-3100; http://www.ticketmaster.com
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/0 ... janes.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Jane's Addiction's greatest Escape
'90s alt-rockers fueled by latest album

by Jeff Hahne

Drummer Stephen Perkins saunters down New Orleans' Canal Street on Nov. 1, 2009. He makes his way down sidewalks that are bustling with people on their way to the Voodoo Music Experience in City Park. Perkins, who performed at the three-day music festival the night before as a member of Jane's Addiction, appears relaxed on this Sunday morning. He approaches St. Louis Cathedral and stops to check out a marching band that's set to perform. While on his walk, no one approaches him — except yours truly, who compliments him on the previous night's music.

"I remember that," Perkins says. "If I'm not exhausted, I check out the town. Sitting in a bed is not fun. I want to experience things because that's why I'm on tour. As a drummer in a band that has two popular front men, it keeps things really simple for me. Jane's is just one slice of everybody's pie."

Reality shows involving guitarist Dave Navarro and singer Perry Farrell aside, it's the music that has also kept Jane's Addiction in the spotlight for more than two decades. The California quartet has endured countless bass player changes over the years, fueling continuous reinvention. Formed in 1985, yet feeling like a new band, Jane's Addiction is touring in support of 2011's The Great Escape Artist, making a stop at Ovens Auditorium on May 23.

The years have been a roller coaster ride for a band that changes bass players as often as Spinal Tap changes drummers. After the band's 1991 breakup, Flea joined for 1997's Relapse Tour. Martyn LeNoble joined for a 2001 tour and was later replaced by Chris Chaney until the band split again in 2004. Jane's Addiction reunited and toured in 2008 and 2009 with Eric Avery before he, again, quit the band. After a brief stint by former Guns 'N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan and working in the studio with TV on the Radio's Dave Sitek, Chaney rejoined the band.

"Each time we get a new bass player, we introduce ourselves as a new band," Perkins says. "There's a new sound when you have a new player. It feels like you're working for it again. There's nowhere to hide out on stage. There's nothing better than just seeing what happens between band members. In the studio, life's too short if it's not the right time to be in the studio with these guys.

"We tried to recreate the original Jane's Addiction in 10 days in the studio with Eric, but it didn't work," Perkins adds. "I was surprised that he stuck around for 50 shows, not that he left. I think the timing wasn't right for us to make a new record together. It was too forced. You have to break new ground and that's a violent thing — you have to break it."

Despite the changes, the band has showed diversity within its style over the course of four studio albums, though it's the live show where the music truly shines. Through guitar effects by Navarro, jazz-influenced drumming by Perkins and vocal effects by Farrell, each band member finds his own niche within a song and unleashes his own unique spin that takes the music in new directions — and things never sound the same twice.

"With Jane's Addiction, we never want to repeat what happened the night before," Perkins says. "The live show is even a mystery to us because we all like to improvise, even Perry. We all like to change the phrasing and dynamics of a tune, especially the longer ones. You don't want to play the same shit over and over. You keep to the rules, but you get to express yourself, too."

One of Jane's Addiction's first shows in L.A. in the '80s involved hot rods, a transvestite dance revue and other "eye candy" to go along with the band's brand of alternative rock. The current tour incorporates a number of visual elements that harken back to those early days — dancers and other art aspects are worked into each night's performance. "I think the music calls for it — it's cinematic music," Perkins says.

As for what's next, Perkins hope all the new energy that has been sparked on tour will carry over into the studio. While the schedule is tiring — he's been home for less than two weeks since touring started this year — he wouldn't give it up.

"I'd love to explore this last year that we've been touring and go back in the studio for a serious brotherhood record," Perkins says. "I'm not complaining because it's a fuckin' great life to be in Jane's Addiction since I was 18. I still get excited knowing the tour bus is pulling up and I get to escape reality."
http://clclt.com/charlotte/janes-addict ... id=2725438
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

bumped for archive ordering
janesaddiction.org