2012.05.04 BJCC, Birmingham, AL

Archived tour dates, reviews, and info from the 2012 tour
Mike
Addicted Archivist

2012.05.04 BJCC, Birmingham, AL

Post by Mike »

According to multiple sources Jane's will play the Schaeffer Eye Center Crawfish Boil on May 4th in Birmingham, AL.
Wiz Khalifa, Snoop Dogg, Jane's Addiction, Megadeth among acts playing at 2012 Schaeffer Eye Center Crawfish Boil in Birmingham (video)

Published: Monday, March 12, 2012, 6:00 AM Updated: Monday, March 12, 2012, 7:09 AM

By Mary Colurso -- The Birmingham News

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Hip-hop and hard-rock fans should find plenty to cheer about at the 2012 Schaeffer Eye Center Crawfish Boil.

Rappers Wiz Khalifa, Snoop Dogg, Lupe Fiasco and Childish Gambino are on the lineup for the music and food festival in Birmingham. So are veteran rock bands Jane’s Addiction, Megadeth and The Cult.

Brantley Gilbert and Drake White, two up-and-coming country rockers, are booked at the Boil, set for May 4-5 downtown. Blackberry Smoke, a group of Southern retro-rockers, will be on the bill, as well.

Rounding out the list of 13 acts: The Head and the Heart, a folk-pop group; Futurebirds, a psychedelic country troupe; and Moon Taxi, a jam-rock band.

Organizers from Red Mountain Entertainment announced the full schedule today. The Birmingham concert promoter books the acts and manages the festival each year.

Country star Eric Church is not on the lineup, although he’s touring with Gilbert and White. Church previously was listed for the Crawfish Boil by Pollstar, a website that tracks the concert industry. Pollstar gets its information from various sources, including artists’ management companies, and its listings are subject to change.

Gates at the festival will open at 3 p.m. on Friday, May 4, and 1:45 p.m. on Saturday, May 5. Although high-profile music acts draw listeners to the Boil’s single stage, foodies also opt for the fresh crawfish plates. Traditionally, the Boil offers up to 10 tons of Louisiana shellfish, complete with trimmings.

The 2012 Boil will take place at its usual location -- in a 465,000-square-foot lot near the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex, at Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. North between 22nd and 24th streets.

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. March 16 through Ticketmaster, and at America’s First Federal Credit Union locations. Advance ticket prices are $30 for a day pass, $49.50 for a weekend pass. Advance VIP tickets will cost $75 per day, $140 for a weekend pass.

On the days of the Boil, ticket prices will bump to $35 daily, $55 for a weekend pass. VIP passes will increase to $85 per day, $150 for the weekend. VIP tickets usually include perks such as free crawfish, access to a multi-tiered viewing platform, separate bathrooms and themed cocktail bars.

Some ticket prices have increased since last year’s event, when day passes cost $25 in advance, $30 at the gate; weekend passes were $45; and VIP passes cost $75 daily.

The Crawfish Boil, founded in 1986, gradually evolved from a casual backyard party to a large charity benefit -- and then, to a professionally-run business that has attracted audiences of 20,000-40,000 people.

Although thousands attended the 2011 festival, according to organizers, the turnout was severely dampened by the aftermath of tornados in Alabama. Last year’s Boil was scheduled for April 29-30, just a few days after storms ripped through the state, destroying property and taking lives.

The festival, a for-profit event, collected donations for tornado victims on site. Also, organizer Jack Schaeffer, a local optometrist, donates part of each year’s proceeds to various charity groups.

Schaeffer's company is the Crawfish Boil's title sponsor, and he heads the Southern Cultural Heritage Foundation, a nonprofit organization linked to the festival.

The Birmingham News is among the sponsors of the event.

One of the extras at this year’s Boil will be a "silent rock show" tent, similar to the "silent disco" concept that’s become popular at other music festivals.

A band will perform in the tent without amplification; listeners can hear the music through wireless headphones, via a signal sent by radio transmitter.

Organizers said details are pending, but the band will play specific sets at the festival, perhaps three or four times each day.

Here's the complete schedule for the Boil's main stage, with brief bios of all 13 acts.

FRIDAY, MAY 4

Drake White, 4 p.m.-4:45 p.m.
Country newcomer from Hokes Bluff, has opened for Willie Nelson, played a weekly residency in January at The Nick in Birmingham. Working on debut album for Universal, live shows include "Fifty Years Too Late," "Alabama Dirt Road," "Cold Beer With My Name on It," "Grass Growing Under These Feet."

Blackberry Smoke, 5:15 p.m.-6 p.m.
Southern rock band led by Alabama native Charlie Starr, signed to Zac Brown’s label in Atlanta. Records include “Little Piece of Dixie,” “New Honky Tonk Bootlegs” and “Bad Luck Ain’t No Crime.” Group also released DVD, “Live at the Georgia Theatre.” Band’s look and sound has strong 1970s vibe; influences include Lynyrd Skynyrd and Allman Brothers Band.

Childish Gambino, 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
Rap alter-ego of actor, writer and comedian Donald Glover, best known for his role on NBC series “Community.” Has released mixtapes, EPs and other recordings as Gambino; the latest is 2011’s “Camp,” on Glassnote Records label. Catalog includes “Be Alone,” “Freaks and Geeks,” “Bonfire,” “All the Shine.” Born in California but has Southern roots, was raised in Stone Mountain, Ga.

Brantley Gilbert, 8 p.m.-9 p.m.
Country rocker and singer-songwriter from Jefferson, Ga. Originals include “Dirt Road Anthem” and “My Kinda Party,” both recorded by Jason Aldean. Gilbert’s 2010 album, “Halfway to Heaven,” was released in deluxe edition by Valory Records last year, resulted in No. 1 single, “Country Must Be Country Wide.” Other tunes include “You Don’t Know Her Like I Do.”

The Cult, 9:30-10:30 p.m.
British hard-rock band led by Ian Astbury, formed in early 1980s. Heavy sound incorporates goth, punk, metal and psychedelia. Hits include “She Sells Sanctuary,” “Rain,” “Fire Woman,” “Rise,” “Wild Hearted Son,” “Coming Down (Drug Tongue).” Band split in mid-‘90s, reformed a few years later,; went on hiatus in 2002, reunited in 2005. Discography has about 15 albums, including live records and compilations. New release, “Choice of Weapon,” set for May 22.

Jane’s Addiction, 11 p.m.-12:15 a.m.
Hard-rock band from Los Angeles. Includes two flamboyant characters, frontman Perry Farrell and guitarist Dave Navarro. Best known for multi-platinum album “Ritual de lo Habitual” (1990) and singles “Been Caught Stealing,” Stop!” “Just Because,” “Jane Says,” “Mountain Song.” Indelibly linked to Lollapalooza Festival as founding headliner. Band tensions over the years resulted in various breakups and reunions. Latest release is 2011’s “The Great Escape Artist.”

SATURDAY, MAY 5

Moon Taxi, 2:45 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
Jam-rock band from Nashville, led by singer Trevor Terndrup. Touring on sophomore release, “Cabaret.” Five-member group has strong following in Southeast, earned place on Reg’s Coffee House radio programs, developed Birmingham fan base with shows at WorkPlay and City Stages. Opened for Matisyahu at former Five Points Music Hall and Gov’t Mule at Sloss Furnaces.

Futurebirds, 4 p.m.-4:45 p.m.
Indie rock band from Athens, Ga. Formed in 2008, has released two EPs (“Via Flamina,” “Futurebirds”) and one full-length album (“Hampton’s Lullaby”). Sound includes Americana and psychedelic country influences. Earned fans here with Bottletree shows and spot at Secret Stages festival. Playing at South by Southwest this year and at Hangout Music Festival in Gulf Shores.

The Head and the Heart, 5:15 p.m.-6:15 p.m.
Folk-pop group from Seattle known for warm and earthy tone, vocal harmonies, handclap elements, use of violin, keyboards and cello. Self-titled 2010 record was picked up by Sub Pop label, remastered for 2011 release, earned No. 3 spot on Billboard folk albums chart. Single “Rivers and Roads” received TV exposure on “How I Met Your Mother.”

Megadeth, 6:45 p.m.-7:45 p.m.
Metal band formed in 1983 by singer-guitarist Dave Mustaine. Known for speed and thrash, platinum albums and Grammy nods, checkered past (drug abuse, music feuds, personnel changes) and Mustaine’s ability to endure. Catalog highlights include “Rust in Peace,” “Countdown to Extinction,” “Youthanasia,” “Cryptic Writings,” 1990-1997. Outspoken frontman aired political and social views, incited controversy, became born-again Christian. Latest release is 2011’s “Thirteen.”

Lupe Fiasco, 8:15 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Chicago rapper, writer, producer and entrepreneur, age 30. Three solo albums to his credit, including “Lupe Fiasco’s The Cool” (2007) and “Lasers” (2011) Next release is “Lupe Fiasco’s Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album,” date TBA. Tracks express social consciousness, political views, cultural concerns. Has worked with Jay-Z, Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, Pharrell Williams. His Righteous Kung-Fu company designs clothing, sneakers, comic books, video games, more.

Snoop Dogg, 10 p.m.-11 p.m.
West Coast rapper, actor and producer, age 40. Made his fame with laid-back rhymes, creative wordplay, talent for improvisation, drawling vocal style. Released 11 studio albums since his 1993 breakthrough, “Doggystyle,” plus several mixtapes and compilations. Has teamed with many other artists, including Wiz Khalifa. Hits include “What’s My Name,” Gin & Juice,” “Drop It Like It’s Hot,” “I Wanna Love You,” “Gangsta Luv,” “Sexual Eruption,” “I Wanna Rock.”

Wiz Khalifa, 11:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m.
Rising rap star from Pittsburgh, age 24. Earned Internet buzz with free mixtape, 2010‘s “Kush & Orange Juice.” Toured with Gadsden rapper Yelawolf. Breakthrough release for Atlantic Records, 2011’s “Rolling Papers,” included No. 1 single, “Black and Yellow,” nominated for two Grammys. Teamed with Snoop Dogg and Bruno Mars last year for top 10 single “Young, Wild & Free.” Next record, “O.N.I.F.C,” due later this year, features Chris Brown, Juicy J and Adam Levine.
http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.s ... nes_a.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 2012.05.04 BJCC, Birmingham, AL

Post by Mike »

"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Tickets for this show just went on sale at early bird prices.

To purchase them follow the link below:

http://www.schaeffercrawfishboil.com/
mah0019
Luddite

Post by mah0019 »

I was at this show. It was my first time seeing Jane's after trying for 15 years (since I was 7) to no avail. I took my last exam of my college career and got in a car to make the trek to the 'ham, and made it just in time. I even got pretty damn close to the stage. The show was great, they let them use the Escapists stage set up, which was great. In previous years the Crawfish Boil has made certain acts tone down their stage show due to lack of space and time. Luckily, not the case. I was enamored with the visuals, and it was basically everything I could ask for. The setlist was relatively short compared to other dates on the tour, but they did a fair bit of improvising and jamming that made the show stretch. Here's the set:

Underground
Mountain Song
Just Because
Been Caught Stealing
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It...
Twisted Tales
Three Days
Stop!

Encore:
Ocean Size
Jane Says
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Hi mah0019, thanks a lot for passing along the set list and I hope you did well on your exam.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

bumped for archive ordering
janesaddiction.org