1985.10.24 The Roxy Theatre, West Hollywood, CA

out of the birth canal
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1985.10.24 The Roxy Theatre, West Hollywood, CA

Post by Mike »

Reena found this show in the L.A. library archives a little over four years ago.
Today I found this flyer for the show.
Jane's Addiction wrote:They were to support some faggy english band who they killed. They were great except for one thing, they stunk.
Spoiler: show
The purchase of the above flyer has killed my beer budget for the month. :lol:
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1985.10.24 The Roxy Theatre, West Hollywood, CA

Post by Mike »

Pop Music Review : Gene Loves Jezebel Makes Statement

October 26, 1985|RICHARD CROMELIN

A Welsh/English group called Gene Loves Jezebel played the Roxy on Thursday, providing another example of the growing trend toward band names that are complete sentences.

In the '60s, It's a Beautiful Day was just about the only one around, but starting with the Teardrop Explodes, the post-punk era has given us the likes of What Is This, Welcome to Venice and the enigmatically monikered local band Grandpa Becomes a Fungus. (There's even a sub-category of phrase groups, headed by Ready for the World, Everything but the Girl and Arms of Someone New, but that's another story.)

While no doubt contemplating this phenomenon, the cutting-edge audience at the Roxy responded favorably to Gene Loves Jezebel's ear-numbing crash-and-drone, which sounded like U2 transplanted from cathedral to garage, with a lacing of Public Image Ltd. dissonance.

Twin brothers Michael and J. Aston, who front the band, have a sort of ratty, rock 'n' roll Gypsy look, and while guitarist/singer J. projected a droll, Ray Davies personality, singer Michael strutted and twirled as if he couldn't decide whether to be Rod Stewart or Stevie Nicks.

While no single element--songwriting, singing, et al.--was outstanding, GLJ's lack of pretense made the performance oddly likable. Period.
http://articles.latimes.com/1985-10-26/ ... es-jezebel

No mention of Jane's. :(
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:27 pm Reena found this show in the L.A. library archives a little over four years ago.
Yes indeed Reena a.k.a. Vicki Vale found this show but it’s been about 13 years ago now. She found an ad for the show in the LA Weekly and in doing so moved back the date of the earliest known Jane’s show by about two and a half months. Here’s an upgrade of the ad she found and a listing for the show which contains no mention of Jane’s.

Ad and listing taken from the LA Weekly dated October 18-24, 1985
F97A1324-C551-42F3-B24B-91D46931F0DE.jpeg
C6B17D40-2FD4-4AE0-8F5D-FF393D2EA4A9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RiotNrrrd
Power Tools

Post by RiotNrrrd »

Mike wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:51 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:27 pm Reena found this show in the L.A. library archives a little over four years ago.
Yes indeed Reena a.k.a. Vicki Vale found this show but it’s been about 13 years ago now. She found an ad for the show in the LA Weekly and in doing so moved back the date of the earliest known Jane’s show by about two and a half months. Here’s an upgrade of the ad she found and a listing for the show which contains no mention of Jane’s.
I was at this show (well, one of them, given that there were two shows) but don't remember showing up early enough for Jane's. Sorry Mike!
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

RiotNrrrd wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:12 am
I was at this show (well, one of them, given that there were two shows) but don't remember showing up early enough for Jane's. Sorry Mike!
I would’ve killed to be able to see them this early on. I didn’t get to see them for the first time until three plus years had gone by.

Would you happen to have your ticket stub by chance?
RiotNrrrd
Power Tools

Post by RiotNrrrd »

Mike wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:00 am
RiotNrrrd wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:12 am
I would’ve killed to be able to see them this early on. I didn’t get to see them for the first time until three plus years had gone by.

Would you happen to have your ticket stub by chance?
Sadly no. I kept a lot of stubs in my early days (1977-1983, 1984) but I only have one stub from 1985 - March Violets. I stopped keeping them for some reason ...
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

I'm pretty sure I just recently uploaded the original full-size JPGs, which were much larger - but not as clear... so I just went in and grabbed larger versions

janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

35 years ago today. :oldtimer: :second: :peace: