1985.XX.XX Plastic Passion, Los Angeles, CA [debunked]

out of the birth canal
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1985.XX.XX Plastic Passion, Los Angeles, CA [debunked]

Post by Mike »

I've been looking for info on this supposed show for four plus years and finally hit pay dirt tonight.
Sadly it's not good news as far as this shows existence on the gig list is concerned.

First off this supposed show found its way onto my radar back in '07 based on one fan's memory.
Plastic Passion Los Angeles CA.
85-?. Plastic Passion was one of the first underground (moving clubs) in L A. It was a blast. I first saw Janes Addiction there, they were playing publicly for the first time I believe. They only played one original song "Jane Says" and the rest were covers of Sex Pistols and other great stuff. The club moved so you had to know where to get directions. It was usually a cat and mouse game driving all over downtown to find it. The scene was unreal, closest thing to The Tunnel or Limelight as far as fashion went. Home to original west coast club kids. Dance music included everything from Aritha Franklin to Sigue sigue Sputnik.
http://www.inthe80s.com/clubs2.shtml

Based on that info we added the show to the list and attempted to find confirmation.
To that end last night I posted on one of the facebook groups I belong to and BINGO mystery solved.
Mike wrote:Does anyone here know anything about this supposed Jane's Addiction show at Plastic Passion? I'm trying to figure out exactly when it took place and have been stumped thus far. Thanks in advance for any info you're able to provide.
I hoped I'd get an answer from some lucky fan who attended the show but never expected to hear from the gentleman who ran the club but that's exactly what happened.

Here's what he had to say:
Joshua wrote:I used to run plastic Passion. We shared a space with Scream for awhile downtown at the Embassy Hotel. Jane's Addiction played there, but the show was a Scream event.
I'd post a link to the facebook post but it's a closed group so I want to respect that.
However both helicine and hydro are members of the group so both of them will be able to confirm this.

I'm unable to delete entries to the Tour Dates database so for the moment I've simply downgraded this show's status from unconfirmed to debunked.

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/jan ... x-xx/1663/

It may remain on the list as debunked or it may disappear from the list completely.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
intertwoven
Jedi

Re: 1985.XX.XX Plastic Passion, Los Angeles, CA [debunked]

Post by intertwoven »

Which show do you think the fan mistook for this? (early Jane's as a cover band? that'd be neat to hear.)
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Mike wrote:It may remain on the list as debunked or it may disappear from the list completely.
It should stay on and listed & debunked w/ the updated information added in. That way if we (or someone else) comes across the original info, we'll have the whole situation documented. :cheers:
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

intertwoven wrote:Which show do you think the fan mistook for this? (early Jane's as a cover band? that'd be neat to hear.)
It would have to be one of these six shows but the further into '86 you go the less likely it really happened.

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/list/jan ... =0&venue=0

My guess is it wasn't all covers and Jane Says in the first place and that the person who posted that info on http://www.inthe80s.com/clubs2.shtml is mistaken.

I'm positive the band did some covers but all covers except Jane Says just seems farfetched to me.
helicine wrote:
Mike wrote:It may remain on the list as debunked or it may disappear from the list completely.
It should stay on and listed & debunked w/ the updated information added in. That way if we (or someone else) comes across the original info, we'll have the whole situation documented. :cheers:
Yeah you're probably right.
I'm not gonna be around tinkering with the gig list forever and at some point down the road if someone else should stumble across the same site listing it as debunked here should keep the same mistake from happening again.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."