1985.11.XX & 12.XX Unknown Venues, Los Angeles, CA

out of the birth canal
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1985.11.XX & 12.XX Unknown Venues, Los Angeles, CA

Post by Mike »

These dates (November & December 1985) have always intrigued and frustrated me at the same time.
I'm very curious about them and have searched through various sources looking for info on them.
I've looked through every available issue of the L.A. Weekly and most of the L.A. Times as well.
In addition I've looked for alternative resources for possible info on these shows.
One of these resources is Scratch Magazine and I finally got the opportunity to purchase some of the issues that pertain to this time frame over the weekend.

Fingers crossed there will be something in one or both of these issues when I get them in the mail. :nod:

"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Sojourner
Variety Arts Center

Re: 1985.11.XX & 12.XX Unknown Venues, Los Angeles, CA

Post by Sojourner »

Wow Mike I love that first pic. It looks like the same artist that features in the Love and Rockets comics :)
“With a bracing combination of metal, punk, and psychedelica, coupled with lead singer Perry Farrell's banshee-in-a-wind tunnel vocals”...
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Dunno if it's the guy who does/did the Love and Rockets comics or not? :noclue:

Here's his website: http://www.krkland.com/
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Sojourner
Variety Arts Center

Post by Sojourner »

I dunno, just reminded me of that kind of artwork, probably not. Nice to see you still pop in now and then anyway, sure is quiet here now :(
“With a bracing combination of metal, punk, and psychedelica, coupled with lead singer Perry Farrell's banshee-in-a-wind tunnel vocals”...
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Fuckity, fuck, fuck, fuck both those issues are a bust upon first glance and so is the June 1986 issue I picked up.
I'm kinda bummed as I'd really hoped for something anything and it's basically $45 and change down the drain.
O'well, there are still some nice pics from some other bands of that era.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Taken from Facebook:

Jane Says wrote:
Where were you the first time you heard Jane's Addiction? What did you hear? Who were you with? Why did you love them? Did you love them right away? What did you think etc.
Karyn Cantor wrote:
At a courtyard party in Hollywood before Dave and Steve were in the band. Rick Parker was playing guitar. Yes, I immediately loved them and told all my friends they had to go see them the next time I knew they were playing which was at the entrance of the Park Plaza Hotel. I met Perry and Casey that night and told Perry I was a photographer and wanted to take some pictures. A few months later when Dave and Steve joined the band, we did their first photo shoot.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Rick Parker? :headscratch:
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

He was a Wilton house housemate and in the band Lions & Ghosts.

https://www.last.fm/music/Rick+Parker/+wiki

Show must’ve taken place after Chris Brinkman left but before Ed Dobrydnio joined. I’m trying to get more details.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Yeah, just hadn't ever heard of him performing w/ Jane's.
janesaddiction.org