1987.0X.XX KXLU Loyola Marymount College Radio, Los Angeles

early daze
intertwoven
Jedi

1987.0X.XX KXLU Loyola Marymount College Radio, Los Angeles

Post by intertwoven »

Another tape I'm working on transferring right now:
Handsome Mike wrote: 12/15/1986 - KXLU Loyola Marymount College Radio, Los Angeles, CA
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/tour_det ... tourID=612
This is the poetry radio show with Perry. I think it should be removed from the Janes gigog and moved to the Perry gigog.
janesaddiction.org wrote:Setlist:
Standing in the Shower, Thinking
Young Lovers
Ocean Size
Idiot's Rule
Is Our Society the Result of Modern Psychology, Or Is Our Psychology the Result of Modern Society?
Perry Farrell, I'm Running Away

Show Information:

KLXU Poetry Show with Perry Farrell. Although we list it as a Jane's Addiction show, it is just Perry reading poetry, some of which would become Jane's Addiction songs, and a story called "Perry Farrell, I'm Running Away" that he wrote for Contrast magazine.
Sounds to me like he says the article's title is "Perry Farrell on Running Away" (not "I'm Running Away").. but maybe I'm wrong.
And while I'm getting picky over titles, I notice "Standing in the Shower, Thinking" is used most of the time throughout this site, but isn't it "Standing in the Shower... Thinking" (ellipsis not coma)??
Also, there shouldn't be an apostrophe in "Idiots Rule".
(funny how I'm anal about this punctuation stuff, though I never include the exclamation point at the end of "Stop".. haha)
Also, the show info says "some of which would become Jane's Addiction songs".. but only "Shower" would go on to become a Jane's song. "Ocean" and "Idiots" already were.. Perry was reading them because, as he says, sometimes people tell him they can't understand his lyrics (this was before the albums [lyrics] were out). Again, just a little correction.

Here's what I think is a little more of a complete and correct tracklist for this radio appearance:

Standing in the Shower... Thinking [read live by Perry]
Chicken Little Baby [Little Richard song played off an album]
(unknown) [Nick Cave song played off an album]
Young Lovers [read live by Perry]
Ocean Size [read live by Perry]
Idiots Rule [read live by Perry]
Is Our Society the Result of Modern Psychology, Or Is Our Psychology the Result of Modern Society? [read live by Perry]
Perry Farrell on Running Away [read live by Perry]
Kerosene [Big Black song played off an album]

Show Information:

Spoken word radio show with Perry Farrell on the college radio station KXLU. It features Perry chatting with the DJ, reading poetry, and picking a few songs. One of the pieces he reads would later go on to become lyrics to the Jane's Addiction song "Standing In The Shower... Thinking". Perry also recites lyrics from two previously written Jane's songs, "Ocean Size" and "Idiots Rule". The last piece he reads is a story written for Contrast magazine called "Perry Farrell on Running Away".

(The songs are not included in the recording, at least not on mine, except for about 3 seconds of the Little Richard song.)
intertwoven
Jedi

Re: 1986 Recordings

Post by intertwoven »

wow.. more geeking out on this spoken word show. I've discovered that the accepted date of 12-15-86 is wrong!
Near the end of the recording, before they play the Big Black song, Perry mentions he likes them and that Jane's played a show with them in San Francisco. So I took a look at the tourography and turns out there are no SF shows listed in '86. So I then checked '87, and right away I see this show:
So this poetry radio show had to have taken place sometime after Jan 19, 1987. On the show, Perry mentions he wrote the poem "Standing in the Shower... Thinking" specifically for this appearance. I believe the earliest known instance of Jane's playing it is 2-14-87. And figuring it 'd take the band a couple weeks to write/rehearse it well enough to perform it live, I think it's safe to say the KXLU poetry show must've been recorded sometime during the last week of January 1987.. or possibly the first week of February. Bummer there don't seem to be any other clues on the recording that would help us pin it down exactly. It seems to be recorded between 11 and 12pm, so that would likely eliminate it being on any date that Jane's played a show, since it would conflict unless they played pretty early in the night.
best bets:
1/23/87
1/25/87
1/27/87
1/28/87
1/29/87
1/30/87
2/1/87
..yeah, pretty sure it's one of those dates.

ha.. i love being a Jane's dork.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Wow some great 411 :!:

At the moment Erik is re-tooling the tour dates section and I'm unable to make any changes.
What he's doing is adding some of the bells and whistles I previously posted about.

Once he's done I'll start getting some of this stuff updated.

We're off to a really great start here guys and as always I appreciate the info and input.

Thanks so much! :cool:

I'm really surprised about the 12/15 info you've brought to light intertwoven.
I would love to hear this more complete version.

Not having heard it but having read your post I think we could likely rule out the dates prior to the 1/26/87 show.
My thinking is that was a huge deal and that Perry would have plugged it had the appearance taken place shortly before.

What do you think?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Charles
One West

Post by Charles »

intertwoven wrote:wow.. more geeking out on this spoken word show. I've discovered that the accepted date of 12-15-86 is wrong!
Near the end of the recording, before they play the Big Black song, Perry mentions he likes them and that Jane's played a show with them in San Francisco. So I took a look at the tourography and turns out there are no SF shows listed in '86. So I then checked '87, and right away I see this show:
So this poetry radio show had to have taken place sometime after Jan 19, 1987. On the show, Perry mentions he wrote the poem "Standing in the Shower... Thinking" specifically for this appearance. I believe the earliest known instance of Jane's playing it is 2-14-87. And figuring it 'd take the band a couple weeks to write/rehearse it well enough to perform it live, I think it's safe to say the KXLU poetry show must've been recorded sometime during the last week of January 1987.. or possibly the first week of February. Bummer there don't seem to be any other clues on the recording that would help us pin it down exactly. It seems to be recorded between 11 and 12pm, so that would likely eliminate it being on any date that Jane's played a show, since it would conflict unless they played pretty early in the night.
best bets:
1/23/87
1/25/87
1/27/87
1/28/87
1/29/87
1/30/87
2/1/87

Impressive work. :nod:
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

intertwoven wrote:Another tape I'm working on transferring right now:
Handsome Mike wrote: 12/15/1986 - KXLU Loyola Marymount College Radio, Los Angeles, CA
This is the poetry radio show with Perry. I think it should be removed from the Janes gigog and moved to the Perry

:nod: agreed, and done
intertwoven wrote:Sounds to me like he says the article's title is "Perry Farrell on Running Away" (not "I'm Running Away")
also agreed and also fixed, used your description on the show
intertwoven wrote:And while I'm getting picky over titles, I notice "Standing in the Shower, Thinking" is used most of the time throughout this site, but isn't it "Standing in the Shower... Thinking" (ellipsis not coma)??
:headscratch: not sure how some of those got in there, but I'm pretty sure I've now fixed all of those
intertwoven wrote:Also, the show info says "some of which would become Jane's Addiction songs".. but only "Shower" would go on to become a Jane's song. "Ocean" and "Idiots" already were.. Perry was reading them because, as he says, sometimes people tell him they can't understand his lyrics (this was before the albums [lyrics] were out). Again, just a little correction.
corrected the wording :thumbs:
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

intertwoven wrote:wow.. more geeking out on this spoken word show. I've discovered that the accepted date of 12-15-86 is wrong!
best bets:
1/23/87
1/25/87
1/27/87
1/28/87
1/29/87
1/30/87
2/1/87

updated the database to reflect the above :cheers: :rockon:
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:
intertwoven wrote:Another tape I'm working on transferring right now:
This is the poetry radio show with Perry. I think it should be removed from the Janes gigog and moved to the Perry

:nod: agreed, and done
intertwoven wrote:Sounds to me like he says the article's title is "Perry Farrell on Running Away" (not "I'm Running Away")
also agreed and also fixed, used your description on the show
intertwoven wrote:And while I'm getting picky over titles, I notice "Standing in the Shower, Thinking" is used most of the time throughout this site, but isn't it "Standing in the Shower... Thinking" (ellipsis not coma)??
:headscratch: not sure how some of those got in there, but I'm pretty sure I've now fixed all of those
intertwoven wrote:Also, the show info says "some of which would become Jane's Addiction songs".. but only "Shower" would go on to become a Jane's song. "Ocean" and "Idiots" already were.. Perry was reading them because, as he says, sometimes people tell him they can't understand his lyrics (this was before the albums [lyrics] were out). Again, just a little correction.
corrected the wording :thumbs:
Thanks for getting the info on this date updated Erik!
It was the last entry that I had not updated based on the info provided in this section.
By the time I got to it I could hardly keep my eyes open and planned to take care of it this morning.
You saved me the trouble and besides I wasn't positive if you wanted it changed from a Jane's to Perry listing.

intertwoven, thanks again for all your help in this section! :cool:
Thus far it has gone better than I could have dreamed.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:
best bets:
1/23/87
1/25/87
1/27/87
1/28/87
1/29/87
1/30/87
2/1/87

updated the database to reflect the above :cheers: :rockon:
I posted the following back on page two of this thread:
Handsome Mike wrote:Wow some great 411 :!:

At the moment Erik is re-tooling the tour dates section and I'm unable to make any changes.
What he's doing is adding some of the bells and whistles I previously posted about.

Once he's done I'll start getting some of this stuff updated.

We're off to a really great start here guys and as always I appreciate the info and input.

Thanks so much! :cool:

I'm really surprised about the 12/15 info you've brought to light intertwoven.
I would love to hear this more complete version.

Not having heard it but having read your post I think we could likely rule out the dates prior to the 1/26/87 show.
My thinking is that was a huge deal and that Perry would have plugged it had the appearance taken place shortly before.

What do you think?
I still firmly believe this radio show appearance took place after the 1/26/87 show.
I just can't believe that Perry with the radio at his disposal wouldn't take advantage of the opportunity and promote the show they were planning to record for their first album.

I know there's no basis in fact for my above opinion but I strongly believe I'm right.

I will however defer to intertwoven seeing as he's in possession of the tape and I haven't heard it.

Once again, what do you guys think?
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1987.0X.XX KXLU Loyola Marymount College Radio, Los Ange

Post by Mike »

This great info provided by intertwoven was first brought to light in the "Live & Insane" section.

Now that we've updated the recording info for this appearance I've decided to move it here.
It's my hope that we can some how nail down the exact date but I've tried in the past to get info on the August 1986 appearance and struck-out.
intertwoven
Jedi

Re: 1987.0X.XX KXLU Loyola Marymount College Radio, Los Ange

Post by intertwoven »

I should mention that the recording starts out with the DJ saying "And we're back." and he doesn't bother introducing Perry. So it would seem the recording is somewhat incomplete, though it doesn't seem like any of Perry's poetry is missing. My guess is there was a brief opening segment where the DJ introduced him and then was like, "All this and more coming up after this.." and then they played a song or some commercials, and then the recording starts up. My point being that if Perry wanted to plug an upcoming Jane's show, such as the Roxy 1/26/87 show, it would likely be mentioned in the opening. Sure, a good place to do it (again) would be at the end of the show, but maybe he just didn't think of it.

That said, I agree it was probably after the Roxy show, near the end of January.