1987.0?.?? Mason Jar, Phoenix, AZ

early daze
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1987.0?.?? Mason Jar, Phoenix, AZ

Post by Mike »

I saw this venue mentioned in Whores several years back when I first purchased the book.
Per Charley Brown's quote in the book I'd assumed the band had not played this venue.
However during a recent unrelated search I ran across a blurb in a book called Arizona For Dummies that states that they did play at the Mason Jar.

Here's the pertinent pages from the two books:

Did Charley Brown say "not the Mason Jar" to protect said owner or was it really not that venue.
If it wasn't it could mean we're actually missing two Phoenix area shows on our gig list.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1987.0?.?? Mason Jar, Phoenix, AZ

Post by Mike »

Here’s a link to the bit in Whores that pertains to this show.

https://books.google.com/books?id=0-CRO ... on&f=false
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

It seems enough has come to light since I first posted about this show to warrant its inclusion on the gig list.

Snippet from the Phoenix New Times
Mason Jar owner Franco Gagliano is interviewed.
Franco Gagliano Talks Legends of The Mason Jar, Past and Present
SERENE DOMINIC | SEPTEMBER 18, 2013 | 8:20AM

Who were the biggest national draws?
Bo Diddley, Two nights. Then the Metallica boys, Stone Temple Pilots, Jane's Addiction. When It sells out, it sells out. I think Jane's Addiction did two shows. Red Hot Chili Peppers too, they did a matinee at 7:00 and 9:00.
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/f ... nt-6610671
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:01 am I saw this venue mentioned in Whores several years back when I first purchased the book.
Per Charley Brown's quote in the book I'd assumed the band had not played this venue.
However during a recent unrelated search I ran across a blurb in a book called Arizona For Dummies that states that they did play at the Mason Jar.

Did Charley Brown say "not the Mason Jar" to protect said owner or was it really not that venue.
If it wasn't it could mean we're actually missing two Phoenix area shows on our gig list.
I joined the Mason Jar Facebook group and in a short period of time with their help I’ve been able to figure a couple of things out. First off they did play at the Mason Jar. Still waiting for some confirmation for that. Secondly Charley Brown was not talking about the Mason Jar in the book. He was talking about a different venue and show. The venue he was talking about is the Metro.