1988.11.?? Sherman Oaks, CA

is it shocking?
intertwoven
Jedi

1988.11.?? Sherman Oaks, CA

Post by intertwoven »

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/tour_det ... tourID=772
This is the interview + brief acoustic session that was used for the Words & Music promo 12" and cassette, as well as the source for "City" from Soul Kiss/Kettle Whistle.
Trying to find the studio where this was recorded.

We have pictures of the master (?) reels..
Mistakenly listed here as "Marc Grave Reels".. it's actually Marc Graue. Marc Graue Voice Over Recording Studios is in Burbank, California. The reel has a Hollywood address address at the bottom, but according to Wikipedia, they moved to Burbank in 1985. So that was likely old stationary they were still using up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Graue ... er_Studios
While it would be convenient to just claim the mystery studio was Marc Graue Voice Over Recording Studios (and chalk up the "Sherman Oaks" clash due to fuzzy memories.. Burbank is about 10 miles from Sherman Oaks, probably both "relatively-boring suburb of LA" type cities, so understandable they'd get confused for each other), Marc Graue is listed on Word & Music as editor. So it's possible the interview/session wasn't recorded at his studio, but rather the reels were sent to him to edit into the presentation mixed with Nothing's Shocking songs that became Words & Music.
Googling John Brumbach (the session's producer) doesn't seem to bring up info on his studio work, rather just reveal that he is a blues and jazz sax player/teacher based in Chicago since 1980.. so perhaps a different guy with the same name as our elusive LA producer.

I don't know.. I'm tempted to call this session as being from Marc Graue Voice Over Recording Studios, Burbank, CA.. but I'd like to be a bit more certain about it. Thoughts, anyone?

And narrowing down the exact date.. how do we know it was in November, just wondering? Looking at the gigography, the band wrapped up an east coast tour 11/02 in Trenton, NJ, then had a couple weeks off until starting up again 11/17 in Seattle. So if the interview/session was indeed in November, must've been in that window. Giving probable travel days, it'd be sometime between 11/4 and 11/15.
intertwoven
Jedi

Re: 1988.11.?? Sherman Oaks, CA

Post by intertwoven »

Maybe Roy Trakin has some recollection of this, if anybody [mike] would like to venture to ask him..
roy.trakin@hitsmagazine.com
http://www.myspace.com/roytrakin
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I dunno if you've heard the reels intertwoven?
I used some of the things they said to assign the 11/??/88 date.
Not sure I'm right but it made sense to me based on the recording.

As for the studio I went by the Kettle Whistle liner notes.
The info you've brought to light in my opinion may warrant us changing it however.

I'll shoot Roy an email and who knows maybe he will be able to enlighten us?
It's worth a try either way.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

I got to ask Dave about this date last night but I'm sad to report that we still don't know.
Dave remembered the recording of City but not the date.

When I get time I'll try to transcribe the portion I used in my attempt to date the recording.
Maybe some will interpret it differently.

In the meantime you can hear Dave talk about it and more on the 4/21 Dark Matter.
My call starts almost 45 minutes in.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."