1988.09.XX 9:30 Club, Washington, DC

is it shocking?
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1988.09.XX 9:30 Club, Washington, DC

Post by Mike »

Here's a new date for the listing that's based on one fan's memory.

I was digging around for more confirmation items for the dates touring with Iggy when I ran across the following Washington Post article that was written shortly after the NINJA Tour announcement.

This article is not pertinent in regard to this new date but I wanted to post it so the context of the comment that is can easily be seen.
Please Explain To Me ... Jane's Addiction

Nothing's shocking. Not even that suspender/gloves combo.

One of the bigger rock tours this summer promises to be the Nostalgiapalooza tour with Nine Inch Nails and Jane's Addiction, who will attempt to relive the summer of 1991. Trent Reznor announced the plans for the tour on his Web site last week; more information is trickling out -- expect a Nissan Pavilion date to be announced shortly -- and people are starting to get excited.

Now I've got no problem with Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor is surely responsible for some (most?) of the worst lyrics of the past couple decades, but his first two albums plus the "Broken" EP mostly stand the test of time. He's always tried to stay artistically, creatively and commercially forward-thinking; he brings up-and-coming acts on tour with him; and he hates lots of things. He's OK in my book.

But Jane's Addiction? Maybe you just had to be there. Maybe if you were a teenager in the late-'80s/early-'90s there was something about Jane's Addiction that was exciting. That's my reasoning whenever I find myself defending Smashing Pumpkins. "I was 13, what do you want?" But outside of "Jane Says" -- which was one of the best modern rock radio hits until that appalling steel drum version became ubiquitous in the late-'90s, rendering all versions of the song unlistenable -- this was a band with little to offer.

All the worst aspects of late-'80s L.A. excess and ridiculousness -- and if you look at the picture above, you know I'm not just talking about the music -- were present. The music was some unholy hybrid of metal, funk and psychedelia with Perry Farrell's space-cadet lyrics on top.

And even if you can defend the Jane's Addiction of almost 20 years ago, how can you possibly want to see Jane's Addiction in 2009? You do realize that Dave Navarro is in the band, right? The dude who starred in two reality shows about his relationship with Carmen Electra. He might not be as bad as Flava Flav when it comes to forever rendering his future musical endeavors artistically irrelevant, but he's certainly near the top of the list. And he didn't have nearly as fall to far.

So ... please explain.

By David Malitz | February 25, 2009; 10:09 AM ET
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postro ... s_add.html

The following is a comment left in reply to the above article:
I saw Jane's Addiction open for Iggy Pop at the Warner and then headline at the old 9:30 about three days later. This was shortly after Nothing Shocking had been released ('88?), I had never even heard of them at that point, and they absolutely rocked both shows. I have no idea if they can recreate the energy of those shows 20 some odd years later, but I think it'd be worth the price to see.

Posted by: EKruse | February 25, 2009 6:25 PM
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1988.09.XX 9:30 Club, Washington, DC

Post by Mike »

Here are the dates we have for Jane's opening for Iggy or The Ramones in September of 1988.

09/09/1988 - Warner Theater, Washington, DC
09/10/1988 - The Pier, New York, NY
09/12/1988 - Stone Balloon, Newark, DE
09/14/1988 - Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY
09/15/1988 - Living Room, Providence, RI
09/16/1988 - Orpheum Theater, Boston, MA
09/19/1988 - Newport Music Hall, Columbus, OH
09/20/1988 - Bogarts, Cincinnati, OH
09/21/1988 - Syria Mosque Ballroom, Pittsburgh, PA
09/22/1988 - Royal Oak Theatre, Royal Oak, MI

All of the above dates are confirmed via one source or another and based on EKruse's comment that he saw them "open for Iggy Pop at the Warner and then headline at the old 9:30 about three days later" my best guess is that this show if it happened took place on either September 11th or September 13th.

Like a lot of shows that get posted about in this section of the site, this one will need further research to prove whether or not it happened. Fan memory is a great thing but it's not always 100% and the fan in question could possibly be thinking of the show Jane's played at the 9:30 in December of 1988 or one of the shows they played there in February of 1989.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."