1989.01.12 Tommy's, Dallas, TX

nothing's shocking
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1989.01.12 Tommy's, Dallas, TX

Post by Mike »

01/12/1989 - Tommy's, Dallas, TX
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/tour_det ... tourID=283

We've previously listed this show as taking place on 01/18/1989.

I ran across the following photo earlier this week.

The photographer (Leschel Dyer) has the photo captioned:
Jane's Addiction @ Tommy's - photo by Leschel Dyer
Furthermore in response to some comments left about the photo she replies:
Leschel Dyer wrote:Sorry but this wasn't taken at the show where they opened for Iggy..this was taken 1-12-89 at Tommy's (later changed to Deep Ellum Live) They opened for Iggy Pop on 10-12-88.
Having looked around at her photos I have no reason not to believe she has kept good records regarding her photos.

I hope to confirm this with the photographer.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=1351548
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1989.01.12 Tommy's, Dallas, TX

Post by Mike »

Handsome Mike wrote:We've previously listed this show as taking place on 01/18/1989.
I just wanted to mention that while I've changed the date of this show from the 18th to the 12th in the Gig Listing thread it remains listed as taking place on the 18th in the Tour Dates section of the site.

Personally I feel rather strongly that the correct date is the 12th but I never had any luck when I attempted to contact the photographer to see if she could help to confirm the date.

I'll try and make a case for the 12th in the next day or two but I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

you should mark it as questionable then :thumb:
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:you should mark it as questionable then :thumb:
Yeah it's looking that way but I seem to remember talking to somebody else recently about this date.

I think it was brian817 or something close to that.
He's a Texan that has some knowledge of this date.

I'll find my talk with him and report back.
I'm almost positive he told me he has another photo from this show and that he got labeled the 12th.

I was going through the undated pictures thread last night and I found this pic that I think is from this show.
hydro wrote:1989
One more thing while I'm thinking of it.
I know we haven't started reworking the bootography yet but when we do we should make note of the fact that the pictures of Perry in the Cotton Club boot booklet are all thought to have been taken at this Tommy's show.

http://janesaddiction.org/bootographies ... l?bootID=7

Whether it was the 12th or the 18th is the question. :headscratch:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Alright my friend Google and I found some of what I was talking about in my above post.
I had things a little mixed up but here's some info and links to that info.

First off it was not only brian817 that mentioned having pics from this show.
Charles also mentioned having photos from it.
If you follow the link above you can view his post where he mentions having 30 pics from this show.
He also mentioned he was going to attempt to contact the photographer.

Charles if / when you read this did you have any luck?

Secondly I was at least right about brian817 having some knowledge of this date.
If you follow the link above you can view his posts where he and I were discussing it.

Most of that discussion was about the craziness of the logistics of the tour if this show took place on the 18th.
brian817 seemed to agree with what I think and that is it makes much more sense for this show to have taken place on the 12th based on the surrounding dates.

I'm going to try and use Google Earth / Maps or whatever it's called in an attempt to show why I strongly believe the 12th is the correct date.

One other thing that brian817 said is that he agreed that the photographer's claims that the photo was taken on the 12th are "pretty relevant".

Because of that I'm going to reach out to her again in an attempt to get some type of confirmation. :please:
Charles
One West

Post by Charles »

Handsome Mike wrote:Alright my friend Google and I found some of what I was talking about in my above post.
I had things a little mixed up but here's some info and links to that info.

First off it was not only brian817 that mentioned having pics from this show.
Charles also mentioned having photos from it.
If you follow the link above you can view his post where he mentions having 30 pics from this show.
He also mentioned he was going to attempt to contact the photographer.

Charles if / when you read this did you have any luck?

Secondly I was at least right about brian817 having some knowledge of this date.
If you follow the link above you can view his posts where he and I were discussing it.

Most of that discussion was about the craziness of the logistics of the tour if this show took place on the 18th.
brian817 seemed to agree with what I think and that is it makes much more sense for this show to have taken place on the 12th based on the surrounding dates.

I'm going to try and use Google Earth / Maps or whatever it's called in an attempt to show why I strongly believe the 12th is the correct date.

One other thing that brian817 said is that he agreed that the photographer's claims that the photo was taken on the 12th are "pretty relevant".

Because of that I'm going to reach out to her again in an attempt to get some type of confirmation. :please:

I have multiple pics from this show from the guy who took them. The same photos that reached the Cottin Club bootleg and some. I talked to him on the phone about 10 years ago. I will try and find his number and try contacting him again. I do remember him saying that the pics were from Tommy's. NOT the Cottin Club. But we already know this. The exact date is the real issue here. I will have to find that out. I will keep you posted.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Charles wrote:I have multiple pics from this show from the guy who took them. The same photos that reached the Cottin Club bootleg and some. I talked to him on the phone about 10 years ago. I will try and find his number and try contacting him again. I do remember him saying that the pics were from Tommy's. NOT the Cottin Club. But we already know this. The exact date is the real issue here. I will have to find that out. I will keep you posted.
Charles, I was hoping you'd see my post and I hope you have some luck getting this one nailed down. :nod:
Thanks a lot for chiming in here and I wish you luck.

I'm still trying to track down this other photographer and I made an important discovery in that regard.
I'm hopeful it will make getting in touch a little easier.

I'll keep everyone posted of any development.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Handsome Mike wrote:I hope to confirm this with the photographer.
Wow having the correct contact info sure does help. :lol:
I'm now in contact with Leschel and she still has her ticket stub from this show and more pictures. :cool:
I've asked her if she'd be willing to scan her ticket and share her pics and I'm waiting to hear back from her.

So it looks like the correct date for this show is the 12th.

As a bonus she should also be able to confirm the 10/12/88 show! :rockon:

I'll share her scans and pics once she sends them to me.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

My fingers are crossed but I should finally have confirmation of the correct date of this show soon! :yeay:
In addition I'm expecting proof of the October 12, 1988 Dallas show too!

I've only been trying to nail these two down for a little over 13 months so I'm pretty excited about it. :wiggle:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Handsome Mike wrote:My fingers are crossed but I should finally have confirmation of the correct date of this show soon! :yeay:
In addition I'm expecting proof of the October 12, 1988 Dallas show too!

I've only been trying to nail these two down for a little over 13 months so I'm pretty excited about it. :wiggle:
Thank you Leschel :!:

I now have proof of both of these Dallas shows! :wootwoot: :yeay: :wootwoot: :yeay: :wootwoot: :yeay: :wootwoot:

I've got to run some errands but I'll post the ticket scans when I get back.