1989.03.29 Paramount Theater, Seattle, WA

nothing's shocking
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1989.03.29 Paramount Theater, Seattle, WA

Post by Mike »

Here's a show that's caused a lot of confusion over the years.
The confusion stems from a recording of the show that made its way to the bootleggers.
In fact this show was released by two different bootleg labels.
Both times with the title "Carnival of Souls".

Insect Records
http://janesaddiction.org/bootographies ... l?bootID=9

Gorgon Music
http://janesaddiction.org/bootographies ... ?bootID=10

The confusion was caused by the bootleg companies dating this show February 29, 1989.
As I'm sure most of you know there is only a 29th day in February during a leap year.
And the fact is leap years only occur during even numbered years.
Because of this it was assumed and rightly so it turns out that this show took place on March 29, 1989.

Fast forward to this past week (April 21st) and Jane's Addiction release their Box Set entitled "A Cabinet of Curiosities".
Included on disc two of the Box Set is the previously unreleased track "Bobhaus".
It turns out this version of "Bobhaus" can be found on both of the aforementioned bootleg CD's "Carnival of Souls"

The Digi Pack for CD two of the lists "Bobhaus" as (Live 1989).
Page 44 of the Box Set booklet however credits it as follows:
12. BOBHAUS (Live, 1987)
(Bob Dylan/Bauhaus)
2009 Warner Bros. Records Inc.

Track 12
Recorded Live at the PARAMOUNT THEATER, Seattle, WA (3/29/87)
(soundboard recording)
Previously unissued
I know what you're thinking, why are you listing this show as taking place 3/29/89 when the Box Set booklet says 3/29/87?

Well the simple answer is the Box Set booklet in incorrect.
This show if you take a look at the complete setlist is clearly a Nothing's Shocking era tour date.

Up the Beach
Whores
1%
Stop!
Mountain Song
Standing in the Shower... Thinking
Thank You Boys
Idiots Rule
Bobhaus
Pigs in Zen
Summertime Rolls
Ocean Size
Ted, Just Admit It...
Trip Away
Chip Away
Jane Says

Well that's all I got and with that this show claws it's way back on to the gig listing.

03/29/1989 - Paramount Theater, Seattle, WA
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

your goood NS!!!
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

hydro wrote:your goood NS!!!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :hello:

Truth be told I was certain this show took place 4/17/89 about two years ago.

http://xiola.org/bored/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10210
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

intertwoven
Jedi

Re: 1989.03.29 Paramount Theater, Seattle, WA

Post by intertwoven »

Sorry, Mike, I don't buy it. Your "100% proof" comes from an incorrect credit in the box set that is close (month/day, but not year) to a mislabeled date? No ticket stub, no newspaper listing.

look at the gig list for that time..
03/17/1989 - Glenn Miller Ballroom, University of Colordo, Boulder, CO [ confirmed ] [ artwork ]
03/19/1989 - Fairgrounds Coliseum, Salt Lake City, UT [ show info ] [ confirmed ]
03/29/1989 - Paramount Theater, Seattle, WA [ show info ] [ setlist ] [ confirmed ] [ recorded ]
04/11/1989 - Stone, The, San Francisco, CA [ setlist ] [ recorded ]
04/12/1989 - One Step Beyond, Santa Clara, CA [ setlist ]
04/14/1989 - Starry Night, Portland, OR [ setlist ] [ confirmed ] [ recorded ] [ artwork ]
04/16/1989 - Moore Theatre, Seattle, WA [ show info ] [ confirmed ] [ artwork ]
04/17/1989 - Moore Theatre, Seattle, WA [ show info ] [ confirmed ] [ artwork ]

3/29/89 does not fit in. After Salt Lake City (not too far from LA), the guys must've gone home for a 3 week break in touring. Then they started up a West Coast leg of the tour, including TWO Seattle shows, before returning to Southern California for the John Anson residency and such. It makes no sense they would go all the way up to Seattle for that one show, especially when they had 2 shows there scheduled for barely 2 weeks later.
And what really convinced me that 4/17/89 is the correct date of the recording is that a fan in the Janes communty (Pillar Girl), was at the show and pretty much confirmed that the recording was in fact from that Moore Theatre show.
So if I were you I would back off on calling this one confirmed. Lord knows liner notes are not infallible. I'm pretty certain this was a mixup, and I consider the live recording to be from 4/17/89 until proven otherwise.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Hum you bring up some very good points intertwoven.
Especially the Pillar Girl claim as I'd not heard that before.

The two things that came to my mind when I saw the 3/29/89 date on the Box Set were:

#1 Jane's popularity at the time
#2 The scene in Seattle at that time

I think it's possible that Jane's were brought in for something like the "Rising Star" concert they did.

I dunno 100% though and I'm willing to back off that 100% claim.
I can even mention that some are still convinced this show took place 4/17.

Short of somebody digging around in the library in Seattle or Perk granting me access to his tapes we may never be 100% certain.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

I've updated this show w/ status as "disputed" and discussed some of why it is in question. If I missed something or fucked something up, let me know.
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:I've updated this show w/ status as "disputed" and discussed some of why it is in question. If I missed something or fucked something up, let me know.
Looks good to me.

I still think they did in fact play on this date however I guess I was a little quick to confirm it based on ACOC.
Also as you note it did fail to meet our confirmation standards seeing as all we have is ACOC.

As I posted earlier based on intertwoven's post this shows status is muddled.

What's funny is when I look at my notes I've been going back and forth on this one for quite a while. :lol:
I was convinced 3/29 was a bogus date a few years ago.

In all my searching I haven't found one shred of evidence of it but I think I may have thought of another way of attacking this.

I will as always report back if my idea bares any fruit.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

It might take someone in the Seattle area digging through old library records to find magazine clips and such.

Late last year it was looking like I was moving to the Seattle area, but that feel through - otherwise I'd have done it. Oh well :lol:
janesaddiction.org