1989.XX.XX The Barn, Reseda, CA

nothing's shocking
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1989.XX.XX The Barn, Reseda, CA

Post by Mike »

This is another brand new show for the gig listing.
I stumbled across it on a fellows list of concerts he attended.
Seen Live

4 Apr 2008, 01:46 by strangemonster
Here is a listing of the bands I have seen live.
I am sure I have left some out from the 80's

...snip

The Bolshoi - The Palladium - Hollywood, CA USA
Mephisto Waltz - The Roxy - Hollywood, CA USA
Janes Addiction - Fenders Ballroom - Long Beach, CA USA
Oingo Boingo - Ventura Theatre - Ventura, CA USA
My Bloody Valentine- The Roxy - Hollywood, CA USA
Love and Rockets - The Palladium - Hollywood, CA USA

chris and cosey - The Palace - Hollywood, CA USA
Duran Duran - Coconut Grove Ballroom - Los Angeles, CA USA 10/21
Kommunity FK - The Roxy - Hollywood, CA USA
Xymox - The Roxy - Hollywood, CA USA
Killing Joke - John Anson Ford Theatre - Hollywood, CA USA
Tangerine Dream - The Pantages - Hollywood, CA USA
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Ventura Theatre - Ventura, CA USA 11/02
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Universal Amphitheater - Universal City, CA USA 11/05

The Dickies - Country Club - Reseda, CA USA 01/13
The Ramones - Country Club - Reseda, CA USA 01/13
Laibach - Scream Club - Los Angeles, CA USA 02/25
Wolfgang Press - Club With No Name - Los Angeles, CA USA 03/03
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Club With No Name - Los Angeles, CA USA 03/03
Cassandra Complex - A Barn - Berlin, Germany
The Cure - The Palladium - Hollywood, CA USA
Sea Hags - Helter Skelter - Los Angeles, CA USA
Caterwaul - Bogarts - Long Beach, CA USA
Janes Addiction - The Barn - Reseda, CA USA
X - The Barn - Reseda, CA USA
Wall of Voodoo - Bogarts - Long Beach, CA USA
Einsturzende Neubauten - The Palace - Hollywood, CA USA
David Burn - The Pantages - Hollywood, CA USA

snip...
Here's a link to strangemonster's complete list of shows he's seen:

http://www.last.fm/music/Skrew/+journal

You'll need to scroll halfway down the page to to view his list.

I'm still trying to gather some details.
Last edited by Mike on Sun May 02, 2010 12:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Changed city back to Reseda and added list and link to list.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1989.XX.XX The Barn, Reseda, CA

Post by Mike »

It's been very difficult to find out anything about this venue or show.
The guy that has it on his list never got back to me and I had doubts that there was a venue called The Barn.
Then last night I found the following picture while searching for something unrelated.

I'm still trying to piece this together but does anyone remember this venue?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1989.XX.XX The Barn, Reseda, CA

Post by Mike »

So looking at the top three tickets in that picture we can get the address and they give us a map to boot!
It looks to me like The Barn was located at / in:

801 Torrance Blvd, Torrance, Los Angeles, California 90502

When I googled 801 Torrance Blvd I got their map and compared it to the ticket map and they're a match.

Google Map

I changed the city for this show based on the info on the tickets.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1989.XX.XX The Barn, Torrance, CA

Post by Mike »

The top ticket (the one that looks handwritten) is dated July 2, 1982.
The second one down (Minutemen headlining) is from November 5, 1981.
The third one down (The Circle Jerks) is from April 15, 1982.

Unless this venue was around for a longtime this could turn out to be a Psi-Com show.
More digging required.
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Mike from what Ive gathered seems as if "The Barn" was located inside of The Alpine Village.The Alpine Village seems to be like a mini city/shopping plaza.

http://www.alpinevillagecenter.com/index.html

looks like Alpine Village has a few different banquet halls that fit different capacities for different uses people can "rent" which one fits their needs best.Maybe The Barn was a rented space inside of The Alpine Village?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Torrance- ... 405?ref=ts

heres another flier I came across awhile ago when we first started discussing this show

http://www.concertposterart.com/poster/ ... unk-Flyer-

http://www.hardcoreshowflyers.com/?p=2426
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
kingsvikes
Radio Tokyo

Post by kingsvikes »

ya alpine village i know it well is an octoberfest joint where you get fat and wasted

it isn't very poular outside of october so it was used for punk gigs untill about the age i was old enough to sneak in then it stopped i don't think they played there...are you sure it's torrance? i don't know what info you have but by 89 they were playing better places...how did this get the torrance tag? if it happened i am pissed to have missed a show in my backyard when i was into them...just curious if you tagged this as torrance? because there is?/was a barn at uc riverside which makes a ton more sense for the time frame...if it's for sure torrance the place for sure had shows there for years but i am kinda with you about psi com being more likely there as i honestly don't remember evr hearing of jane's there...doesn't mean it didn't happen...just my 2 cents
kingsvikes
Radio Tokyo

Post by kingsvikes »

ya uc riverside barn i think thats it to be honest
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

I think your info is making more sense then mine KV

being that uc riverside is on campus and seems more likely for a Jane's show.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000551953944

http://rside.ucr.edu/barnseries/

http://www.myspace.com/thebarnatucr
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
kingsvikes
Radio Tokyo

Post by kingsvikes »

i think this is what i was trying to tell you a while ago mike ...you can't just peice things together because you really don't know...you had this down as torrance which it most likely isn't i worry other dates get pigeoned holed like this into wrong dates/places...and while i know you are trying your best...the clues that are left behind...ticket stubs, handbills, la weekly ads and foggy memories do not mean any such show had jane's show up that night and play...too many factors...getting lost getting there...bands running long...date changes...venue changes all sorts of stuff can make the date you set off...i think you guys should maybe find a way to research but still leave shows that are discovered late like this with * 's

but i say this fully understanding your head is in the right place and you are trying hard

honestly i don't care about the old undiscovered shows i know they are out there...if i could anti cloud my own mind i could give ya some...but people have been doing this work since long before you came on the scene and i hate to see the offical files muddled on circumstantial evidence...just somethng to think about
intertwoven
Jedi

Post by intertwoven »

I get what you're saying, kv, but I think Mike's doing a great job on the show list. And that's coming from the guy who, as far as I can remember, was the first to take the old "Jane's live recordings" list and convert it into a working list of all past shows, recorded or not. There were always a few bullshit shows that snuck in, and even now as we work to debunk those old bullshit shows, I'm sure new bullshit shows creep in. It's never gonna be 100% accurate and complete. But that's the goal. Even a suspicious show like this should still be brought to the table, because yeah, even if it turns out to be bullshit, it may lead to discovering an old Psi Com show or something.
But yeah, you're right, even "confirmed" shows can't always be without a shadow of doubt. I'd be in favor of including known-date photos in the tourography. Adding fan recollections, not just published reviews, would be cool too.

btw, Mike and Erik, I'll go on record now saying feel free to use any info/reviews from the concert chronology on my site if you want. I think I should put a note on it "retiring" it and pointing people to the ja.org list, because I don't really have the interest or see the point in updating it to catch up.