1989.XX.XX The Barn, Reseda, CA

nothing's shocking
kingsvikes
Radio Tokyo

Re: 1989.XX.XX The Barn, Torrance, CA

Post by kingsvikes »

i know as a whole he is doing great work... maybe these shows from 20 years back shouldn't be "confirmed" but just "evidence points to"...sorta deal i just feel if i hadn't said anything this show would have ended up confirmed and i wonder how many others are wrong...but again do as you see best
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1989.XX.XX The Barn, Reseda, CA

Post by Mike »

Handsome Mike wrote:It's been very difficult to find out anything about this venue or show.
The guy that has it on his list never got back to me and I had doubts that there was a venue called The Barn.
Then last night I found the following picture while searching for something unrelated.

I'm still trying to piece this together but does anyone remember this venue?
I had forgotten about some of the previous discussion we had about this show elsewhere.
After looking that over again I added a link to the list where I fist spotted this show and part of his list to my first post in this thread.

I can't believe I forgot to add that info when I first started this thread. :headscratch:
I'm also really glad helicine has taught me how to do site searching using google. :thumb:
I wouldn't have been able to retrieve that info otherwise and it's both interesting and entertaining to read that after reading some of the posts in this thread.

Mine included. :lol:
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

hydro wrote:Mike from what Ive gathered seems as if "The Barn" was located inside of The Alpine Village.The Alpine Village seems to be like a mini city/shopping plaza.

http://www.alpinevillagecenter.com/index.html

looks like Alpine Village has a few different banquet halls that fit different capacities for different uses people can "rent" which one fits their needs best.Maybe The Barn was a rented space inside of The Alpine Village?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Torrance- ... 405?ref=ts

heres another flier I came across awhile ago when we first started discussing this show

http://www.concertposterart.com/poster/ ... unk-Flyer-

http://www.hardcoreshowflyers.com/?p=2426
Thanks for posting those hydro. :nod:
It got me thinking about when I asked about this show before and I was able to retrieve strangemonster's list because of it.

You did indeed post that top Dead Kennedys flyer before. :thumb:
Very helpful stuff when you're trying to determine if a venue actually existed, let alone trying to figure out the shit we try to figure out in this section.

Thanks again and not that it's important but that bottom flyer is for the handwritten ticket I posted on page one.
I know it's useless info but I thought it odd that we were able to marry them up.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

kingsvikes wrote:ya alpine village i know it well is an octoberfest joint where you get fat and wasted

it isn't very poular outside of october so it was used for punk gigs untill about the age i was old enough to sneak in then it stopped i don't think they played there...are you sure it's torrance? i don't know what info you have but by 89 they were playing better places...how did this get the torrance tag? if it happened i am pissed to have missed a show in my backyard when i was into them...just curious if you tagged this as torrance? because there is?/was a barn at uc riverside which makes a ton more sense for the time frame...if it's for sure torrance the place for sure had shows there for years but i am kinda with you about psi com being more likely there as i honestly don't remember evr hearing of jane's there...doesn't mean it didn't happen...just my 2 cents
kingsvikes wrote:ya uc riverside barn i think thats it to be honest
No I'm not sure it happened in Torrance.
I thought I was onto something when I found those tickets but in part because of your post I changed the city back to Reseda.

I don't know what the capacity of The Barn was but I'm aware of the size venues they were playing in '89.

Like I said I gave it the Torrance tag.
I felt that based on the info we had at that point it was the best guess.
You have to understand that this section is used as a think tank of sorts.
I was merely putting forth a possibility for others like yourself to scrutinize and discuss.

Thanks for the UC Riverside tip.
It's certainly something worth looking into but it doesn't mean that's where the show happened either.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

hydro wrote:I think your info is making more sense then mine KV

being that uc riverside is on campus and seems more likely for a Jane's show.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000551953944

http://rside.ucr.edu/barnseries/

http://www.myspace.com/thebarnatucr
Thanks hydro! :cool:
I see you've already attempted to contact them for some info. :thumb:

There's no need in both of us bothering them so I'll leave you to it.

I am going to look those links over some more though. :nod:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

kingsvikes wrote:i think this is what i was trying to tell you a while ago mike ...you can't just peice things together because you really don't know...you had this down as torrance which it most likely isn't i worry other dates get pigeoned holed like this into wrong dates/places...and while i know you are trying your best...the clues that are left behind...ticket stubs, handbills, la weekly ads and foggy memories do not mean any such show had jane's show up that night and play...too many factors...getting lost getting there...bands running long...date changes...venue changes all sorts of stuff can make the date you set off...i think you guys should maybe find a way to research but still leave shows that are discovered late like this with * 's

but i say this fully understanding your head is in the right place and you are trying hard

honestly i don't care about the old undiscovered shows i know they are out there...if i could anti cloud my own mind i could give ya some...but people have been doing this work since long before you came on the scene and i hate to see the offical files muddled on circumstantial evidence...just somethng to think about
I'm guessing what you mean by what you were trying to tell me before is your PM about the undated photos thread?

If so you're free to post your opinion about that 91X radio station photo in the undated photos thread.

Here's the link:
http://forums.janesaddiction.org/viewto ... 3&start=60

Like this section the Camera Got Them Images is a think tank and any help you care to offer is welcome.
It doesn't matter to me if your opinion varies with mine either.
The info being right is a lot more important than whether I'm right 100% of the time or not.

This show and how we're going about finding out info on it is no different than what I've been doing for years.
I run across something and try to get info on it.
Sometimes it pans out and sometimes it doesn't.

Currently this show only exists on the guys list I found it on, the thread I started on xiola, and this thread.
This thread may end up being as far as it gets or it might one day find its way to the gig list or tour dates section.
As always hopefully this thread will lead to someone coming forward with some info or confirmation.
Worse case scenario it serves as a reminder for me to keep an eye out for info on it.

I don't think you or anyone else need worry about me pigeon holing any show.
I'm always digging up what I can on these shows and will certainly need more before adding it to any list.
I also try and post the info I find in this section for scrutiny.

I'm sort of surprised that I need to explain this to you but we look for info in this section.
In addition we look for anything that can point us in the direction of a show or confirm one.
All the items you list above are very helpful but the ultimate confirmation of a show is a dated review.
While I've spent a lot of time and hundreds of dollars tracking down reviews we sadly don't have one for every date.

There's no reason for an * for this show.
Again it only exists in this thread at this point.
I believe all your concerns are addressed when determining a shows status and we always seek out confirmation.
If you disagree with a shows listing feel free to post about it and I'll try to explain its status.
I'm not sure what else I can say but if we were to use the reasoning you suggest there would be needless * attached to a shit load of shows.

I personally take offense to your we're muddling the list assertion.
I know people worked on this list before I started working on it and appreciate their work.
I've taken that work and improved upon it or at least tried.
While our list isn't 100% actuate it's the best it can be for now.
Also while not official it's certainly pretty damn good until Perkins grants me assess to his records or better yet puts together a list of his own.
kingsvikes
Radio Tokyo

Post by kingsvikes »

wasn't trying to come to a middle ground with you, just expressing my view

i know you don't agree with it
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

intertwoven wrote:I get what you're saying, kv, but I think Mike's doing a great job on the show list. And that's coming from the guy who, as far as I can remember, was the first to take the old "Jane's live recordings" list and convert it into a working list of all past shows, recorded or not. There were always a few bullshit shows that snuck in, and even now as we work to debunk those old bullshit shows, I'm sure new bullshit shows creep in. It's never gonna be 100% accurate and complete. But that's the goal. Even a suspicious show like this should still be brought to the table, because yeah, even if it turns out to be bullshit, it may lead to discovering an old Psi Com show or something.
But yeah, you're right, even "confirmed" shows can't always be without a shadow of doubt. I'd be in favor of including known-date photos in the tourography. Adding fan recollections, not just published reviews, would be cool too.

btw, Mike and Erik, I'll go on record now saying feel free to use any info/reviews from the concert chronology on my site if you want. I think I should put a note on it "retiring" it and pointing people to the ja.org list, because I don't really have the interest or see the point in updating it to catch up.
Thanks for the kind words Gavin and thanks for the work you've done on the tour list
It's the work people like you, Erik, and many others did that gave me such a great starting point.
However had you guys had the info for the '88 Cleveland show I attended listed right I may have never started looking into this stuff. :lol: ;)

I agree with everything you say and the part you mention about confirmed shows reminded me of something Erik and I were talking about last weekend.

We thought it might be a good idea to have different levels of confirmation with a reviewed show being absolutely confirmed.

That or another idea we bandied around was adding another status option.
I can't remember what we came up with for a possible status addition but hopefully Erik does and he can chime in.

Thanks a lot for the offer of use of the goodies over at you place! :cool:
There's a bunch of dates on the list that reference the info on your site and we link to you.
But it will be my pleasure to go back though and see what we can add here. :thumb:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

kingsvikes wrote:i know as a whole he is doing great work... maybe these shows from 20 years back shouldn't be "confirmed" but just "evidence points to"...sorta deal i just feel if i hadn't said anything this show would have ended up confirmed and i wonder how many others are wrong...but again do as you see best
As I previously posted this show will need some further digging before it gets a spot on the list.
Right now there's not enough to warrant its inclusion on either my gig listing in this section or the tour dates section of the site.

Consider this show a math problem and this thread as a worksheet we're using to figure out the problem.

That's really as simple as I can make it for you and I think your feelings for me are preventing you from seeing it.
Thanks for saying you think I'm doing great work and again if you don't agree with something feel free to post why you don't agree.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

kingsvikes wrote:wasn't trying to come to a middle ground with you, just expressing my view

i know you don't agree with it
There's no middle ground to come to here.
We either have a show that's worthy of inclusion on the gig listing or we don't.
Right now this one isn't and that's why it's not on the list.

I actually have agreed with some of what you posted in this thread.
Not that it matters but I did. :noclue: