1989.02.11 Uptown Lounge, Athens, GA

nothing's shocking
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1989.02.11 Uptown Lounge, Athens, GA

Post by Mike »

This show comes from a misdate at the same venue.

October 17, 1988 - Uptown Lounge, Athens, GA - Status: Debunked
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/tour_det ... tourID=732

In case you missed it a little over a year ago I discovered that Jane's opened for Iggy at Visage Nightclub in Orlando, FL on October 17, 1988.

http://forums.janesaddiction.org/viewto ... f=8&t=1089

October 17, 1988 - Visage Nightclub, Orlando, FL - Status: Confirmed
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/tour_det ... ourID=1855

After finding the Visage Nightclub show I went about trying to figure out where the Uptown Lounge show fit on the gig list and thought it fit in pretty well on 10/25.

10/17/1988 - Visage Nightclub, Orlando, FL - Newsprint
10/18/1988 - Brassy's Take II, Cocoa Beach, FL - Newsprint
10/20/1988 - Cameo Theatre, Miami Beach, FL - Ticket, Newsprint
10/21/1988 - Summers on the Beach, Fort Lauderdale, FL - Newsprint
10/22/1988 - Jannus Landing, St. Petersburg, FL - Newsprint
10/24/1988 - Center Stage Theatre, Atlanta, GA - Newsprint
10/25/1988 - The Pterodactyl Club, Charlotte, NC - Tickets
10/27/1988 - The Boathouse, Norfolk, VA - Ticket
10/28/1988 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD - Hammerjacks Calendar
10/29/1988 - The World, New York, NY - Tickets, Newsprint

However Jane's were Opening for Iggy at The Pterodactyl Club in Charlotte, NC on 10/25.

http://forums.janesaddiction.org/viewto ... f=8&t=1622

October 25, 1988 - The Pterodactyl Club, Charlotte, NC
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/tour_det ... ourID=2077

This in turn got me thinking about this Uptown Lounge show again because The Pterodactyl Club show bounced it from the 25th and so I went digging and this is what I found.
10-17-88 Athens, GA, Uptown Lounge
Athens, GA, Uptown Lounge (I'm guessing Oct '88)

From Chaz Pike:

In the school year 1988-1989, Jane's addiction played a show in Athens GA at the Uptown Lounge. It was a sold out awesome show, probably before their show at the Cotton Club in Atlanta GA. I know that the Red and Black newspaper printed a review of the show and pictures.
http://somediverswhistle.com/shows/t10xx88.html

So I searched the Red and Black newspaper but their archives only go back to 1997. :no: :confused:
I did a little more searching and have only been able to find the following:
68. 140 E. Washington St
 Georgia Theatre proprietors at the time Kyle Pilgrim and Duck Anderson bought the Uptown Lounge in April, 1984, converting it into a prime live music venue. By 1987, the Uptown was the largest club in town. It closed in 1990.
 Widespread Panic started out at the Uptown in the mid-‘80s as a weekly house band, and national acts such as The Pixies, Soul Asylum, Jane’s Addiction, Dinosaur Jr. and Black Flag all performed here. R.E.M. also played a few unannounced shows.
 During the ’90s, the space housed various rock clubs and discos (The Chameleon Club, The Shoe Box, The Atomic Music Hall). In its time, the Atomic was one of the local scene’s most vital clubs. The space is now occupied by the Copper Creek Brewing Co., with the brewing tanks located where the stage was.
http://flagpole.com/Guide/GuideFeatures ... our-8Aug08
140 E. Washington Street Kyle Pilgrim and "Duck" Anderson bought the fledgling Uptown Lounge in April, 1984, and gradually built it into a prime live music venue. Early on, many up-and-coming local acts considered this venue a hip alternative to the larger 40 Watt Uptown. Widespread Panic started out here in the mid 1980s as a weekly house band. By 1987, the Uptown was the largest club in town and attracted national acts such as The Pixies, Let's Active, Soul Asylum, Jane's Addiction, Dinosaur Jr., Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alex Chilton, Mercyland, Black Flag, and the Meat Puppets. R.E.M. played a few legendary unannounced shows here, as well. The Uptown closed at this location in early 1990. This room also held various rock clubs and discos (the Chameleon Club - not to be confused with Chameleon, The Shoe Box, The Atomic Music Hall) from 1990 through 1997. The Atomic Music Hall gained recognition as one of the more vital underground rock clubs in town during the mid and late 1990s. The Atomic hosted local benefit gigs, "redneck" punk-rock showcases such as "Trash Fest" and "Beef Stock," regularly booked up-and-coming local bands like Harvey Milk, Kincaid, Jucifer, Trinket, Five-Eight, Elf Power, Space Cookie and Buzz Hungry and attracted touring national acts such as Cake, Man Or Astro-Man?, The Oblivians and Kevn Kinney. The space is now occupied by Copper Creek Brewing Company. The music hall stage was located where the Copper Creek brewing vessels now stand.
http://athensmusic.net/newsdesk_info.ph ... desk_id=84

So it's not a matter of if Jane's played the Uptown Lounge but a matter of when.
My best guess is this show took place in February of '89.
Most likely February 11th or 13th but that's just my guess.

02/??/1989 - The Respectable Street Cafe, West Palm Beach, FL - Newsprint
02/03/1989 - Woody's, Miami, FL - Newsprint
02/04/1989 - Visage Nightclub, Orlando, FL – Ticket, Flyer, Newsprint
02/05/1989 - Masquerade, Ybor City, FL - Newsprint, Flyer
02/07/1989 - Einstein a Go-Go, Jacksonville Beach, FL - Ticket, Flyer
02/08/1989 - Cotton Club, Atlanta, GA
02/10/1989 - The Nick, Birmingham, AL
Stuff it here? :headscratch:
02/12/1989 - Cannery Ballroom, Nashville, TN
or here?
02/14/1989 - Pterodactyl Club, Charlotte, NC
02/16/1989 - Rialto Theatre, Raleigh, NC
02/17/1989 - Boathouse, Norfolk, VA - Newsprint

Peeking at a map the 13th seems the most likely date I suppose. :noclue:
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1989.02.XX Uptown Lounge, Athens, GA

Post by Mike »

Ga. Theatre celebrates 20 years

August 6, 2004 by DREW PRICE
Filed under Variety

Athens wouldn’t have acquired its status as a great music town if it were not for the abundance of venues that enable countless acts to perform on a given night. And at the heart of these venues stands the Georgia Theatre.

Many people who have never attended a show at the Georgia Theatre still know of its downtown location, mostly due to its nostalgic outward appearance of an old cinema.

And, not surprisingly, the Georgia Theatre opened as a movie theater in 1935.

“The Theatre was built in the late 1880s, and was the first YMCA in the South,” said owner Duck Anderson. “The basement was actually a swimming pool. After that, it was, at various times, a department store and a morgue until they converted it into a theater in the 1930s.”

It wasn’t until early 1978 that the Theatre began to showcase live entertainment. Bands like The Police and the B-52’s played in the early years of the Theatre’s music-showcasing tenure. In order to play its very first concert, the B-52’s personally sold out the venue to obtain the right to play.

After a few years, however, the Georgia Theatre suffered financial trouble and returned to film as the Carafe and Draft Movie Theater.

In 1984, current owners Duck Anderson and Kyle Pilgrim purchased the theater and began to craft one of the premier music venues in Athens.

And the Georgia Theatre shows no signs of slowing down. Anderson said the past year has been the venue’s finest thus far, and in order to maintain the momentum. In April, a brand new $120,000 P.A. system was installed. “(The P.A. system) is as good, or better, than any system in any club this size in the entire country,” Anderson said.

Anderson listed surprise shows by R.E.M. and Widespread Panic’s New Year’s Eve and Halloween shows, as well as performances by Jane’s Addiction, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Wynton Marsalis, The Ramones and Phish as some of his favorite shows at the Georgia Theatre over the past 20 years.

But he said there is one show that he could pick above all others.

“To tell the truth, the most memorable show to me was the first time Dave Matthews played here,” he said. “It was a Tuesday night, and the show was essentially a fraternity function. The cover charge was only $3, and no one had ever heard of the Dave Matthews Band at the time.”

Anderson and company said their only future plans are to “carry on as always.”
http://www.redandblack.com/2004/08/06/g ... -20-years/
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

That "Ga. Theatre celebrates 20 years" article only confuses things for me. :headscratch:

It seems like the same guys owned both venues and I'm thinking they may be as confused as me. :lol:

Intertwoven what are your thoughts on this date?
Are you able to contact the guy who sent you the email?
intertwoven
Jedi

Post by intertwoven »

Sorry, I don't seem to have the email anymore.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

intertwoven wrote:Sorry, I don't seem to have the email anymore.
OK shoot I was hoping you might be able to contact them.
I believe the show happened but the February '89 date is just a guess on my part.
It would seem to fit in that time period and the above references to Jane's playing there lend credence.

I've added it to the gig listing thread in this section but there's still not enough for it to make it to the tour dates section.

Thanks for replying.
I'd bumped the thread in hopes that you would.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

My fingers are crossed but I came across some really, really, really, good great awesome news on this show :!:
Spoiler: show
I'm hopeful I'll have a date and some ear candy soon.
As it seems this show was recorded by at least one intrepid audience member. :nod:
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1989.02.11 Uptown Lounge, Athens, GA

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote:My best guess is this show took place in February of '89.
Most likely February 11th or 13th but that's just my guess.

02/??/1989 - The Respectable Street Cafe, West Palm Beach, FL - Newsprint
02/03/1989 - Woody's, Miami, FL - Newsprint
02/04/1989 - Visage Nightclub, Orlando, FL – Ticket, Flyer, Newsprint
02/05/1989 - Masquerade, Ybor City, FL - Newsprint, Flyer
02/07/1989 - Einstein a Go-Go, Jacksonville Beach, FL - Ticket, Flyer
02/08/1989 - Cotton Club, Atlanta, GA
02/10/1989 - The Nick, Birmingham, AL
Stuff it here? :headscratch:
02/12/1989 - Cannery Ballroom, Nashville, TN
or here?
02/14/1989 - Pterodactyl Club, Charlotte, NC
02/16/1989 - Rialto Theatre, Raleigh, NC
02/17/1989 - Boathouse, Norfolk, VA - Newsprint

Peeking at a map the 13th seems the most likely date I suppose. :noclue:
Damn I'm good! :lol:

February 11, 1989 - Uptown Lounge, Athens, GA
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/jan ... 2-11/2226/

mothra665
Räji's

Post by mothra665 »

the puzzle :arrow: :thumb:

possible audio :please:
"Whaddya doing cheering a guy over 30? Cuz I can still rock yer pants off yer fuckin' ass, and I'll do it 'till the day I die!"
Perry Farrell 07/20/1991
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote:
10-17-88 Athens, GA, Uptown Lounge
Athens, GA, Uptown Lounge (I'm guessing Oct '88)

From Chaz Pike:

In the school year 1988-1989, Jane's addiction played a show in Athens GA at the Uptown Lounge. It was a sold out awesome show, probably before their show at the Cotton Club in Atlanta GA. I know that the Red and Black newspaper printed a review of the show and pictures.
http://somediverswhistle.com/shows/t10xx88.html
I did some more searching for and then through The Red And Black archive and I'm sad to report that the issue with the review of the show and pictures is missing from their database. :(

Maybe they'll get a copy of it scanned one of these days. :please:

It wasn't a totally wasted effort as I did find these two bits about the show which are of use seeing as the date on the ticket stub is a bit worn.

mothra665 wrote:the puzzle :arrow: :thumb:

possible audio :please:
Yeah it's really satisfying when I can nail this stuff down.
This one was a real bitch to figure out too!

Even better is the byproduct of shaking loose yet another recording that nobody knew existed, save for the kind soul who recorded it and perhaps his circle of friends.

The taper (Jim) has my addy and says he's going to send me a copy this week. :yeay:
intertwoven
Jedi

Post by intertwoven »

:rockon: