1989.xx.xx Coconut Teaszer Perry w/ The Nymphs

nothing's shocking
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Re: JA 1/22/87 Cooperage Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA unknown

Post by tvrec »

Sorry, Mike. I am never as diligent as I should be. What is the actual question(s) at hand?
intertwoven
Jedi

Post by intertwoven »

tvrec wrote:Sorry, Mike. I am never as diligent as I should be. What is the actual question(s) at hand?
You know that live recording of Perry singing "Pigs in Zen" with the Nymphs circa '88? We're trying to figure out the date/venue. Were you there, by chance?
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

tvrec wrote:Sorry, Mike. I am never as diligent as I should be. What is the actual question(s) at hand?
OOPS!
I copied this thread from the BCS section this afternoon and then had to run out before I could change the thread title and delete some posts.

It was actually Charles who thought you might know if Perry joined the Nymphs at the 12/31/88 show.
Don't worry about that now though.

I've been digging around trying to find something on Perry's playing with the Nymphs for a while now and while it's only fan memory that I've found it is a starting point.
I saw the Nymphs at clubs throughout LA in late 80's-early 90's and always enjoyed their performances. I especially remember one show at the Coconut Teazer where Perry Farrel was in the audience and took over when the Nymphs started a cover of Pigs in Zen. Absolutely amazing!!! The group had a LOT of promise and a GREAT sound. I was disappointed that they didn't gain more success. Without a doubt, the rock scene in LA in those days was amazing. So many great bands and great memories.
golperuano 10 months ago
- Yeah, I remember that, also the series of concerts at the John Anson Ford theater with Janes and the Nymphs. This all sprung from the legendary Scream shows at the Alexandria and Park Plaza hotels. They should have been huge, those were good rocking days back then...then Seattle came.
tmesa in reply to golperuano 10 months ago

Those comments were left on the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piro4ZWkZVo

So it looks like Perry w/ The Nymphs took place at Coconut Teaszer sometime in 1989?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Re: 1989.xx.xx Coconut Teaszer Perry w/ The Nymphs

Post by tvrec »

The info you have is possible, but I couldn't say much more than that. I wasn't there and haven't even heard the track linked in the thread.

I can add a few details.

The New Year's show article here refers to Lock Up, Tom Morello's band, playing "Pig's in Zen." They didn't play all of it--it was just a teaser joke to the start of the show, and they were actually really animated in the joke (unlike what the article suggests). It was like a brief hyper parody of Jane's.

The Nymphs didn't play a series of shows with Jane's at JAFT. These legendary shows featured different opening acts for each night, one of which was The Nymphs. It is possible that they played "Pig's" in their opening set, but my memory is hazy on that, so I wouldn't put money or anything else on it.

I saw The Nymphs perform several times 88-92, though not every show by any means. And I recall with certainty them playing "Pig's in Zen" once, but I don't remember the date, while Perry was in the audience. (I was standing with him while they played it.) He didn't perform the song, though, and didn't seem entirely pleased that they played the song. I think this show was at the Whiskey.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

tvrec, as always thanks for you input. :)

I'm going to try and remember (or find) my youtube account info and contact the poster there to see if he can provide any further details. Who knows maybe he'll be able to hook us up with something concrete. I hope so because since I read his post yesterday I've spent a good bit of time digging and haven't been able to find anything in the way of confirmation of this venue let alone an actual date.
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Post by tvrec »

Time for Charles to come back in. Does this hair match 1989?
Charles
One West

Post by Charles »

tvrec wrote:Time for Charles to come back in. Does this hair match 1989?
Looks like 1990 to me.
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Post by tvrec »

That's my guess, too, based on the vest and hair, which belong to the ritual era. In other words, I think this picture was taken well after whatever 1989 Nymphs show this thread is about...
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Sorry guys if I confused things by posting that pic of Perry with Inger in this thread.
I just thought it was a cool pic of the two of them together that I ran across on facebook and thought for the hell of it I'd post it in this thread.