1990.11.02 - 1990.12.20 Ritual Tour Dates

the habitual ritual
Mike
Addicted Archivist

1990.11.02 - 1990.12.20 Ritual Tour Dates

Post by Mike »

I was going through a box of my Jane's stuff this weekend and pulled out the Press Release for Ritual.
While we have confirmation for the dates between November 2nd and December 20th I found this interesting and I think it shows how the tour evolved / changed in the month to two month period prior to these shows.

There very well could be a brand new date lurking in the following (12/16) and there are definitively new additions for the Tour History to be had.

Check this out and then compare it to what we have and let's discuss this and figure out how we should list these dates.

11/02/1990 - Price Center Ballroom, UCSD, La Jolla, CA - Ticket, Newsprint
11/03/1990 - Price Center Ballroom, UCSD, La Jolla, CA - Newsprint
11/04/1990 - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, AZ - Newsprint
11/07/1990 - Bronco Bowl, Dallas, TX - Tickets
11/08/1990 - The Unicorn, Houston, TX - Tickets, Posters, Newsprint
11/09/1990 - Music Hall, New Orleans, LA - Newsprint
11/11/1990 - University of Alabama Birmingham Arena, Birmingham, AL - Ticket, Newsprint
11/12/1990 - Center Stage Theatre, Atlanta, GA - Newsprint
11/13/1990 - Memorial Hall, Chapel Hill, NC - Newsprint
11/15/1990 - Boathouse, Norfolk, VA - Newsprint
11/16/1990 - Ritchie Coliseum, University of Maryland, College Park, MD - Newsprint
11/17/1990 - Memorial Gymnasium, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA - Tour Itinerary, Ticket, Newsprint
11/19/1990 - Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA - Newsprint
11/20/1990 - The Ritz, New York, NY - Tickets, Newsprint
11/21/1990 - The Ritz, New York, NY - Tickets, Newsprint
11/23/1990 - Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA - Ticket, Newsprint
11/24/1990 - Rialto Theatre, Montreal, QB, Canada - Newsprint
11/25/1990 - Concert Hall, Toronto, ON, Canada - Ticket, Newsprint
11/27/1990 - Agora Theatre, Cleveland, OH - Poster, Newsprint
11/28/1990 - Latin Quarter, Detroit, MI - Newsprint
11/30/1990 - Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, IL - Ticket, Newsprint
12/01/1990 - Central Park Ballroom, Milwaukee, WI - Tickets, Newsprint
12/02/1990 - First Avenue Club, Minneapolis, MN - Newsprint
12/06/1990 - Mammoth Events Center, Denver, CO - Tickets, Newsprint
12/07/1990 - Utah State Fairpark Coliseum, Salt Lake City, UT - Newsprint
12/09/1990 - Seattle Center Arena, Seattle, WA - Poster, Newsprint
12/10/1990 - P.N.E. Forum, Vancouver, BC, Canada - Newsprint
12/11/1990 - Chiles Center, University of Portland, Portland, OR - Ticket, Poster, Newsprint
12/14/1990 - Events Center Arena, SJSU, San Jose, CA - Ticket, Poster, Passes, Newsprint
12/15/1990 - Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA - Tickets, Newsprint
12/18/1990 - Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood, CA - Newsprint
12/19/1990 - Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood, CA - Ticket, Newsprint
12/20/1990 - Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood, CA - Tickets, Newsprint
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: 1990.11.02 - 1990.12.20 Ritual Tour Dates

Post by helicine »

Fall of 1990 was just after Ritual came out and JA was getting huge buzz. From the looks of this, several shows were changed to larger venues (ex. 11/11, 12/10, 12/14, 12/15). We also have several dates that were clearly added after this itinerary was released.

11/17 - Charlottesville, VA - Memorial Gym
Memorial Gymnasium is the correct venue, even our ticket scan shows it. I corrected the page and noted the previously listed venue name

11/24 - Monteral, ALB - Olympia/Rialto
Monteral is in Quebec, not Alberta. I'm confident it is a typo as there is no Montreal in Alberta, and geographically it makes no sense to go from Boston out west to Alberta and then back east to Toronto in a 3 day period. There is an Olympia Theatre in Montreal (http://www.olympiademontreal.com/en/), so I would say it is at least worth checking into seeing if this show actually happened there vs. the Rialto.

12/16 - Ventura, CA - Terrace Theatre
This would actually be a new date worth checking into to see if it actually happened or not.

In terms of how to list these shows, I suppose we could add the different venue shows as canceled dates w/a note to the rescheduled date. That's how we have other shows like this listed.
janesaddiction.org
tvrec
L.A. Street Scene

Post by tvrec »

helicine wrote: 11/24 - Monteral, ALB - Olympia/Rialto
Monteral is in Quebec, not Alberta. I'm confident it is a typo as there is no Montreal in Alberta, and geographically it makes no sense to go from Boston out west to Alberta and then back east to Toronto in a 3 day period. There is an Olympia Theatre in Montreal (http://www.olympiademontreal.com/en/), so I would say it is at least worth checking into seeing if this show actually happened there vs. the Rialto.

12/16 - Ventura, CA - Terrace Theatre
This would actually be a new date worth checking into to see if it actually happened or not.
Agreed on the Montreal listing--if Jane's were to play Alberta, it would have been Calgary and/or Edmonton. On the 12/16, it is certainly worth looking into, but I think it is probably a date that never actually happened. Ventura, just north of LA, still serves the LA market. If the gig took place, it would be listed in LA Times, LA Weekly, etc.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:Fall of 1990 was just after Ritual came out and JA was getting huge buzz. From the looks of this, several shows were changed to larger venues (ex. 11/11, 12/10, 12/14, 12/15). We also have several dates that were clearly added after this itinerary was released.
It's just as you say "after Ritual came out and JA was getting huge buzz".
The date on the itinerary is October 7th and that's almost a full month before the tour kicked off.
A lot can happen in a month's time and I'm sure some of those dates the venues changed in order to get more asses in the seats so to speak.
helicine wrote:11/17 - Charlottesville, VA - Memorial Gym
Memorial Gymnasium is the correct venue, even our ticket scan shows it. I corrected the page and noted the previously listed venue name
I've had this one listed as Memorial Gymnasium, University of Virginia for quite some time now.
I'm 99% certain I changed it in the Tour Dates section before so I'm guessing maybe you changed it back?
Anyhow I have a couple of scans from the actual tour itinerary and one of the scans is for this date.
I unfortunately don't have the complete itinerary though. :cry:

I know it's a little hard to read but that second scan is definitely for the 11/17 date and it says "Memorial Gym, University of Virginia".

I just noticed I need to add those scans to the Tour Dates section too! :lol:
helicine wrote:11/24 - Monteral, ALB - Olympia/Rialto
Agreed :nod:
helicine wrote:12/16 - Ventura, CA - Terrace Theatre

In terms of how to list these shows, I suppose we could add the different venue shows as canceled dates w/a note to the rescheduled date. That's how we have other shows like this listed.
tvrec wrote:Agreed on the Montreal listing--if Jane's were to play Alberta, it would have been Calgary and/or Edmonton. On the 12/16, it is certainly worth looking into, but I think it is probably a date that never actually happened. Ventura, just north of LA, still serves the LA market. If the gig took place, it would be listed in LA Times, LA Weekly, etc.
I think that the 12/16 Ventura show is the only one that has a chance of being a new date for the listing.
We have all the other dates nailed down even if they are at different venues in some instances.

I think we can either add them into the list or make note of them in the corresponding show's entry.
Perhaps just say show was tentatively scheduled at "venue A" but moved to "venue B" due to ticket demand?
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Handsome Mike wrote:I've had this one listed as Memorial Gymnasium, University of Virginia for quite some time now.
I'm 99% certain I changed it in the Tour Dates section before so I'm guessing maybe you changed it back?
I'm 100% sure I didn't :lol:
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Handsome Mike wrote:I think we can either add them into the list or make note of them in the corresponding show's entry.
Perhaps just say show was tentatively scheduled at "venue A" but moved to "venue B" due to ticket demand?
as I previously said - to conform w/ how stuff is already listed, add them in as canceled dates and note the connection in both shows info section - that way if we find more info on one of the canceled shows, the connection to the info we already have is more obvious.
janesaddiction.org