1987.09.30 ?, TX (mystery Texas show)

early daze
juliebee
Luddite

1987.09.30 ?, TX (mystery Texas show)

Post by juliebee »

I think this was in Austin. I saw Jane's Addiction at the University of Texas Union which was a cafeteria by day, and occasional live music venue for local bands by night. I don't recall the exact date, but I think it was about a week before 'Nothing's Shocking' was released. I hadn't heard their music - someone at a record store recommended the show so I went. There were probably only about 20 people in attendance, but it was a really great show.
Last edited by helicine on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tweaked subject to follow formatting for this forum
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: 1987.09.30 ?, TX (mystery Texas show)

Post by helicine »

Thanks for the info! Could be a lead that will help us dig up some more info on this show :cheers:

If this show was indeed in Austin, then I'm wondering if it actually took place 9/29/87 - or if the 10/1 Herman's Hideaway show in Denver, CO either didn't happen or was actually on a different date. JA wasn't flying between gigs like this, and it's a 16hr drive from Austin to Denver.

While it is technically/theoretically possible, if you look at their tour history, they typically would have a day break between large distances like that.
janesaddiction.org
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

juliebee wrote:I think this was in Austin. I saw Jane's Addiction at the University of Texas Union which was a cafeteria by day, and occasional live music venue for local bands by night. I don't recall the exact date, but I think it was about a week before 'Nothing's Shocking' was released. I hadn't heard their music - someone at a record store recommended the show so I went. There were probably only about 20 people in attendance, but it was a really great show.
Hi juliebee, welcome to the site and thank you for the info. :cool:
I did a quick search after reading your post and found some mention of this show.
It's not much but hopefully I'll be able to dig up something further.
5. The Texas Union’s online calendars for February 2010 reveal that the Cactus Café booked live musical acts on 23 of 28 nights; in the same period, the Student Events Center (SEC) scheduled 12 shows. Under student control, the historic Showroom Stage—where bands such as the Pixies, Jane’s Addiction and Zeitgeist (aka the Reivers) used to play—nearly always goes empty.
a. How can anyone pretend that stages for live acts are scarce in the Texas Union?
b. Why should anyone believe that the Cactus will be booked more often once it is entirely student-run?
http://www1.savethecactuscafe.org/1/pos ... erver.html
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

helicine wrote:Thanks for the info! Could be a lead that will help us dig up some more info on this show :cheers:

If this show was indeed in Austin, then I'm wondering if it actually took place 9/29/87 - or if the 10/1 Herman's Hideaway show in Denver, CO either didn't happen or was actually on a different date. JA wasn't flying between gigs like this, and it's a 16hr drive from Austin to Denver.

While it is technically/theoretically possible, if you look at their tour history, they typically would have a day break between large distances like that.
Actually the 10/1/87 Denver show is more or less confirmed via the newspaper article intertwoven has up at SDW.
Boulder Daily Camera wrote:PERFORMANCE: Los Angeles suffered its worst earthquake since 1971 on Oct. 1, an upheaval measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale. L.A. band Jane's Addiction's performance at Herman's Hideaway in Denver that night had to have measured at least that: we're talkin' LOUD, a frightening roar that would've killed small animals. If you took the Red Hot Chili Peppers and replaced their crush on George Clinton with a Led Zeppelin fixation, you'd have something close to this shardcore foursome. True, violently deafening frenzy is a limited emotional medium, and I felt as if I was being beaten over the head with a blunt intrument (could've done without singer Perry Farrell's striptease, too). But for sheer vvisceral wallop, nobody this side of Metallica can touch these guys.
http://somediverswhistle.com/shows/t100187.html

I know intertwoven has said it's cool to use stuff from his site but for some reason this news blip was never added here. :noclue:

I do have this show listed as confirmed in my gig listing thread along with a notation regarding the article at SDW.

For what it's worth I've tried to obtain said article from the Boulder Daily Camera site but their online archives only go back to 1998.

Also before I marked this show as confirmed on my gig list I checked into the 10/1/87 earthquake the story mentions and there was indeed a 6.1 magnitude quake as the story states.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... california
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

juliebee wrote:I think this was in Austin. I saw Jane's Addiction at the University of Texas Union which was a cafeteria by day, and occasional live music venue for local bands by night. I don't recall the exact date, but I think it was about a week before 'Nothing's Shocking' was released. I hadn't heard their music - someone at a record store recommended the show so I went. There were probably only about 20 people in attendance, but it was a really great show.
In the "Cool or Interesting Things You've Noticed Lately" thread in the Ocean Size forum http://forums.janesaddiction.org/viewto ... 5&start=10 we're talking about the Paraphernalia bootleg photos and I just had one of those eureka moments.

In the following photo of Dave from the Paraphernalia boot there's a sign over his right shoulder that reads "New Austin Motel".

While this is certainly not enough proof that this 9/30/87 show was in Austin it does at least in my opinion put the band in Austin during this time frame.
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Re: 1987.10.01 Herman's Hideaway, Denver, CO

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote:
helicine wrote:Thanks for the info! Could be a lead that will help us dig up some more info on this show :cheers:

Actually the 10/1/87 Denver show is more or less confirmed via the newspaper article intertwoven has up at SDW.
Boulder Daily Camera wrote:PERFORMANCE: Los Angeles suffered its worst earthquake since 1971 on Oct. 1, an upheaval measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale. L.A. band Jane's Addiction's performance at Herman's Hideaway in Denver that night had to have measured at least that: we're talkin' LOUD, a frightening roar that would've killed small animals. If you took the Red Hot Chili Peppers and replaced their crush on George Clinton with a Led Zeppelin fixation, you'd have something close to this shardcore foursome. True, violently deafening frenzy is a limited emotional medium, and I felt as if I was being beaten over the head with a blunt intrument (could've done without singer Perry Farrell's striptease, too). But for sheer vvisceral wallop, nobody this side of Metallica can touch these guys.
http://somediverswhistle.com/shows/t100187.html

I know intertwoven has said it's cool to use stuff from his site but for some reason this news blip was never added here. :noclue:

I do have this show listed as confirmed in my gig listing thread along with a notation regarding the article at SDW.

For what it's worth I've tried to obtain said article from the Boulder Daily Camera site but their online archives only go back to 1998.

Also before I marked this show as confirmed on my gig list I checked into the 10/1/87 earthquake the story mentions and there was indeed a 6.1 magnitude quake as the story states.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... california
I added the Boulder Daily Camera review from SDW and upgraded the status of the 10/1/87 show to confirmed.

October 01, 1987 - Herman's Hideaway, Denver, CO
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/jan ... 0-01/1148/