I Fix Shit

2012.08.15 Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philly, PA

Post by helicine »

janesaddiction.org
mekmad
Power Tools

Re: 2012.08.15 Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philly,

Post by mekmad »

It sounds like the setlist for this show was basically the same as B-more but they swapped Three Days with Ted:
http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusi ... of-it.html
Mike
Addicted Archivist

Post by Mike »

Jane's Addiction finishes lightning-shortened Musikfest show in Philly, but fest crowd already saw the best of it
The Philly concert didn't live up to the lightning-shortened Lehigh Valley performance.

August 16, 2012|By John J. Moser, Of The Morning Call

Jane's Addictionsinger Perry Farrell stopped to address the crowd for the first time after the third song Wednesday at Philadelphia's Mann Center.

"There was a day I would come to Philly and take things," Farrell told the audience. "These days, I like to give stuff away. Like them free tickets from Bethlehem. They don't come easy. You think we just steal that [stuff]?"

Then the band kicked into a funky and hot version of "Been Caught Stealing."

Farrell was referring to Jane's Addiction's Aug. 9 Musikfest show, which was stopped after 33 minutes because of lightning, and the fact that the band let anyone from that crowd of 3,077 into Wednesday's show with a Musikfest ticket.

But if Wednesday's show was any indication, with a few exceptions, Musikfest got the best of what Jane's Addiction has the first time around. Maybe better.

The Musikfest show seemed far more imbued with energy and urgency, the music sharper and harder. Perhaps it was Musikfest's bigger stage, or the impending storm.

That's not to say the Mann show wasn't very good. At 73 minutes (plus two delays for technical problems), it was more than twice as long as the Musikfest show — though the band played only six additional songs.

But the best songs of the night at The Mann were, largely, the best songs at Musikfest — and they were performed better in Bethlehem.

The band again opened with "Underground," but it didn't have the immediate burst of energy it did in Bethlehem. Farrell took the stage in a tattered suit, but by the third song was again bare-chested (guitarist Dave Navarro again came out shirtless and in a hat).

Farrell was far less mobile than at Musikfest, but his singing was strong. On the second tune, "Mountain Song," he soared vocally and growled as Navarro ripped solos and the drums and bass thumped behind him. Even that song — which ended the Musikfest show, with the band defying festival officials by staying on stage — was better in Bethlehem.

The trio of "Been Caught Stealing," "Ain't No Right" and the new "Irresistible Force" all again were the best run of the set. But they were no better than they were at Musikfest.

The difference in the concerts was the centerpiece of "Jane Says," which Musikfest missed.

Played in an "acoustic" arrangement with Navarro on acoustic guitar, seated with bassist Chris Chaney, and Stephen Perkins on kettle steel drums, it wasn't the best version of the song — Farrell's voice started uncharacteristically slight — but it still was wonderful.

The music swirled as Farrell's desperation built before he again reared back to wail, then later scat-sang. Lights blasted out onto the crowd as it sang along, as the song stretched to nine minutes.

Except for a dramatic and sweeping version of "Whores," which also might have been better at Musikfest, it was the last time the concert reached those heights.

Technical difficulties marred a similarly "acoustic" "Classic Girl," but the song was incongruous to begin with — neither touching nor taking off. Farrell made perhaps the only other reference to Bethlehem — or was it Wednesday's forecast — when he said, "bad cable can't ruin it if rain couldn't ruin it."

The three-song encore started on a dark stage with the slow, new "Splash a Little Water On It." The closing "Stop!" was anti-climactic.

The number of people who made the trek from the Musikfest show to The Mann wasn't immediately available. Jen Corsilli, a spokeswoman for promoter AEG Live, said box office numbers were still being counted late Wednesday.

A section dedicated to those fans was pretty full — although with a total attendance that appeared to be no more than 5,000 probably meant a significant number didn't. All of the Musikfest ticket-holders got seats under The Mann's covered area — many probably closer to the stage than they were in Bethlehem.

"Hey, I'm glad we came," Farrell told The Mann crowd. "We made it — with or without the rain. A beautiful summer night."
http://articles.mcall.com/2012-08-16/en ... fest-crowd
"The quality of mercy is not strained, it dropeth as the gentle rain from heaven."
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

I will scan these asap for the site
Sid Weiss sent me these int he mail
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

:cheers:
janesaddiction.org