I Fix Shit

2012.08.22 Stage AE, Pittsburg, PA

Post by helicine »

janesaddiction.org
faerieb
Be Live

Re: 2012.08.22 Stage AE, Pittsburg, PA

Post by faerieb »

I'm getting so excited!! 23 days to go!! :rockon: :cheers: :wootwoot: :dance2: :singsun:
"Make Something"
faerieb
Be Live

Post by faerieb »

TOMORROW!! AHHHH!!!! So excited! Meeting up with some fans from here...should be a great time! Will post pics on Thursday :P
"Make Something"
spunkmuffin
Ripple Street

Post by spunkmuffin »

:) ......Hope you had fun!!!!!....I remember this name from a bit back :heart: ...Be Blessed :)
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Jane's Addiction's Stage AE concert devolves into the Perry Farrell Show

August 23, 2012 10:18 am

By Scott Mervis / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Of all the times I've seen Jane's Addiction, I don't remember Perry Farrell ever playing the sports card. You know, the whole rah-rah Pirates/Steelers thing that so many visiting frontmen use to work the crowd.

On Wednesday night, the singer even donned a Pirates cap for one song.

Maybe that's what happens when you put a band, any band, between the two stadiums.

Jane's Addiction was not only at Stage AE -- it was in Stage AE, making this the first time the alt-rock titans have played a club show here since 1989 at Metropol.

Career implications aside, that's a lot of sound and a lot of ego to pack into a moderately sized room.

One thing missing, though, from Jane's Addiction is original bassist Eric Avery, who always seems to add some extra punch to the band between guitarist Dave Navarro and drummer Stephen Perkins. He's replaced by the more nondescript Chris Chaney.

For the most part, it was the Perry Farrell Show, in which the shirtless singer in his tight black trousers pranced, posed and gyrated while still hitting those shriekingly high notes. At 53. The band's usual burlesque-sleaze theater was scaled down to a pair of black-haired women who rode swings and donned bondage gear for the climax.

Although this is billed as the Theater of the Escapists tour, the year-old "The Great Escape Artist" -- which doesn't hold a candle to the early stuff -- didn't make much impact. They sampled from it three times, including the slow, brooding opener "Underground" and the encore "Splash a Little Water on It," which was upstaged by a circus sideshow geek gluing feathers to his face -- or something appalling like that.

The bulk of the set came from the first two albums, delivered with good results, with the possible exception of "Been Caught Stealing" which had chaotic energy but was off its groove. "Jane Says" was a jangly sit-down session that got the crowd singing along joyfully.

Opening band Big Black Delta re-emerged to beat the primal drums for "Chip Away," while Farrell threw back a bottle of red wine and played with the echo.

Those longing for some heavy guitar crunch got it from "Mountain Song," the adrenaline-packed "Whores" (long a live staple since the band's pre-label days) and, of course, the set-closing "Three Days," unleashing the Zeppelin-esque fury of the stoic Navarro and Perkins.

The set clocked in at under 90 minutes, but even that is a lot of Perry Farrell.

He was quite chatty -- about how "awesome" the city is, about how clothes fit him because he's skinny and, of all things, about the Pirates.

He even rolled out the story of Dock Ellis pitching a no-hitter on LSD.

"Just for that alone, cheers to you, cheers to you, Pittsburgh!," he said. "We've done a lot of shows on LSD. How do you we're not on it right now?"

We don't, but wouldn't they start sounding like some old Fillmore jam band? That certainly didn't happen.
Scott Mervis: smervis@post-gazette.com, 412-263-2576 and on Twitter @scottmervis_pg.
First Published August 23, 2012 10:18 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/ ... z24ODtmAOv

“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
faerieb
Be Live

Post by faerieb »

Ewww! I hate critics! Horrible review for such an INCREDIBLE show! It was initimate, moving, powerful, fun and energetic! The stage show was so cool, but perhaps only for the true freaks that appreciate art...That asshole from the Gazette can fuck off! :nod: :cool:

P.S. I have pics, but for some reason can't figure out how to post them here. Would you mind taking them from my page, Hydro and adding them? I even have one with the Pirate hat on ;)
"Make Something"
bman
Music Machine

Post by bman »

hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

faerieb wrote:
P.S. I have pics, but for some reason can't figure out how to post them here. Would you mind taking them from my page, Hydro and adding them? I even have one with the Pirate hat on ;)

having troubles uploading the others at the moment will try again
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
faerieb
Be Live

Post by faerieb »

Thank you, Hydro!

I just watched the entire show again :rockon: ...I am seriously in tears right now :noclue: ...TOTAL WITHDRAWAL :cry: ...it was so great! :party: If only I could see them LIVE every week! The energy that I feel when listening to them is like the equivalent of 20 Redbulls! HA! :dancing: The night is so stuck in my head...from them coming out on stage, to giving Perry his necklace and MV giving him the button :thumb: :wootwoot: , then Perry talking about how it's nice to grow up and get free shit because it wasn't so easy back in the day, then they went right into Been Caught Stealing...appropriate timing! :applause: ...to getting Stephen's stick and feeling like Jam in Detroit Rock City when it ended up in my hands! HAHA! :heart: ...and meeting all the amazing Jane's fans like Chicago Joe, Mike V, Maceo...it was the best time I have had in awhile..I NEEDED this night so bad!!!...what a great stress reliever! :dance2: The only thing missing was you, Hydro :( I missed you! :heart:
"Make Something"
drifter
L.A. Street Scene

Post by drifter »