2012.10.27 Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA

Tour date news, reviews, & info
bman
Music Machine

Re: 2012.10.27 Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA

Post by bman »

Flying Friday AM...even though I booked both east coast shows end of 2012..Any LA meet ups?
blg
Power Tools

Post by blg »

helicine wrote:here is an economy size grab of the flyer:
20121027_afterparty.jpg
you can get the full 1.1mb version here: http://static.ow.ly/photos/original/13KyU.jpg
Any idea if this is a Perry DJ set or something where the band would play?
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Jane's Addiction an 'Irresistible Force' in Tour Closer: Concert Review

7:30 PM PDT 10/28/2012 by Steve Baltin

All of the elements were in place for a truly epic night at Los Angeles' Wiltern Theatre: Jane's Addiction was headlining a hometown show which was the final date of the band's Theater of the Escapists tour, plus it was the Saturday before Halloween.

Fittingly, the foursome came out in epic fashion, taking the stage just before 10 p.m. to the strains of Pink Floyd’s “Welcome To The Machine.” Bathed in red lights, a massive sculpture of two naked women behind them, dancers in long, flowing dresses on swings hanging from the ceiling and frontman Perry Farrell with his arms outstretched to both sides, the quartet opened with the hypnotic rhythms of “Underground,” from their most recent album, The Great Escape, and from there, steamrolled through a surprisingly short 14-song set that clocked in at just under 90 minutes. But whatever was missing in quantity was more than made up for in quality -- musically, visually and with true rock star form at every turn.

Utilizing an effective mix of occasional video imagery, the blistering light show that melded blue, red and strobe lights and the dancers clad in leather during a monumental set-closing “Three Days,” the band created a massive production that perfectly complemented the music rather than overwhelm the songs.

That was most evident during the 10-minute plus “Three Days,” a locomotive of power, psychedelia and sex wherein the dancers, holding canes as they moved around the stage, flanked guitarist Dave Navarro during a stunning guitar solo and hovered around the shirtless Farrell as he slowly bounded around the stage ready to explode at any moment. All eyes in the sold-out Wiltern Theatre remained solidly fixed on a band at their musical peak. Indeed, the performance was also noteworthy for Stephen Perkins’ mighty drum solo.

Musically, Jane’s tends to be fiercest when on the same page, and that was definitely true of Saturday night as they displayed their full range of rock -- from frenetic to psychedelic to slow and mesmerizing -- and proved why, 20 years on, they remain, to quote one their own songs, an "irresistible force."

It should comes as no surprise, then, that among the numerous high points were longtime crowd favorites like “Mountain Song” and "Jane Says," the latter of which displayed the band's versatility with a poignant rendition that positioned all four players at the front of the stage as Farrell held a bottle of bubbly. It was a moment that was both a moving and wistful celebration of their L.A. past and present.

Farrell spoke often of his legendary hometown lore, from telling a tale of hanging in a parking lot with the Germs’ Darby Crash while he hurled bottles at trucks midway through “Just Because” to recalling a hooker with big “titties” before breaking into “Whores,” another highlight of the night. The banter became even more entertaining as chief orator Farrell somehow connected his love of breasts of all sizes and Halloween to his disdain for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. “They’re saying America will be a spooky place if Mitt Romney gets elected,” he said.

During interviews for the album -- only the band's fourth since breaking out in 1988 with Nothing's Shocking -- Farrell often spoke of creating an escape for the mind, body and soul. And other than the one Romney reference to bring the audience back to earth, Jane’s did just that, all the while reminding those in attendance that rock and roll can be simultaneously dangerous and inviting and dirty and glamorous. But most of all, in the hands of Jane’s Addiction, it is sexy.

Set List:

Underground
Mountain Song
Just Because
Been Caught Stealing
Ain’t No Right
Irresistible Force
Jane Says
Chip Away
Up The Beach
Whores
Three Days
Splash a Little Water On It
Ocean Size
Stop

Twitter: @THRMusic

Photos by Paul Familetti

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... iew-383951
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
hydro
Addict

Post by hydro »

Perry Says: An interview with Jane's Addiction singer Perry Farrell

Jane's AddictionOctober 30, 2012
By: Jesse Seilhan

On Saturday, Los Angeles' own Jane's Addiction played a sold-out show to its hometown fans. Check the slideshow for some live photos of the awesome night, but I got a chance to sit down with frontman Perry Farrell before the concert to get his thoughts on his band, his voice, and his legacy.

And don't forget, we're still running a promo to give away a fine bottle of Dobel tequila, autographed by Farrell himself. Just send a tweet to me (@anonymousbeard) and Dobel (@dobeltequila) giving us your craziest Tequila story for a chance to win! 21 and older only, and we will be validating! Now onto the interview...

View slideshow: Jane's Addiction at The Wiltern
Do you do more gigs or more interviews?

Gigs, yeah.

Really? If you do a show, you’re probably doing a couple of interviews before the show…

Sometimes, but most of the interviews are before the tour, before that run. Like, going to Baltimore, the interviewer will show up the day before the gig.

But for the hometown show, you probably get a few more.

Here’s how it goes: I like to get people to interview me for marketing purposes. You have to market yourself today, right? But this show blew out in like five minutes, so we didn’t really need to market it that much. Everybody knows why I’m here. But they don’t know what I’m up to.

How did the partnership with Dobel come about?

I like their tequila. And I like their angle, you know, using music and photography and video too. I don’t mind it at all, I don’t mind drinking it, I don’t mind talking about it.

Most guys drink beer on stage, but I’m assuming you’ll be drinking tequila on stage now. Does that change the game when you’re up there? Make it tougher, make it looser?

Tougher?

(laughs)

Drinking never makes your job tougher. Beer makes it tougher, because you’d be belching. You go to take a breath and you belch. Tequila is great because it’s a stimulant and a depressant.

How was the Warfield show? Coming from the Bay Area myself, I would have loved to have been there.

Fantastic. I love San Francisco. It’s nice to be up there and return to see what the young people look like nowadays. See what they are into and listening to and how they’re behaving. What shape the city is in.

What did you take away? What shape is the city in?

The city is in good shape, but there are a lot of homeless. There is a whole board game going on there. There’s a videogame going on there, somehow.

On the new album, was there anything you were able to write this time around that you weren’t able to write before? Maybe a song you tried to do ten years ago but now you’ve got it, you’ve figured out the ending to song that you wrote before?

I changed how I sing; my whole outlook to singing has evolved. I’ve really learned about my voice and I’m able to do some beautiful things with it, but I have a lot more control and therefore, I’m able to communicate better.

Do you find doing older songs; you get new life out of them because you have new life in your voice as well?

What’s cool is that the old ones and the new ones, for me, I love doing both. I actually look forward more to playing the new ones, which is great because most people are always falling back onto the past, when they were successful. I feel that our greatest work might be the next record we’re going to do.

If fans see the band not really hyped about their new stuff, then they aren’t going to be hyped about the new stuff.

Right. That’s a good point.

Your band has a pro-side project philosophy. A lot of bands that don’t, split up when people want to do something else.

That’s what we call “emotionaly crippled.”

So do you feel like that has helped you out in the long run? I feel that if you would have been doing this night in, night out for 27 years, it may not have survived.

When we first started, I’m not going to lie to you, everyone was envious and jealous. Now, I wish you well. Your success is my success. That’s really how it is.

When it’s all said and done, what do you want to be remembered for the most? Is it Lollapalooza, Jane’s Addiction, your body of work, your philosophy…?

That’s a good question. I want to be, I guess you’d put it all in a ball called ‘entertainment.’ And I want to be remembered as one of the great entertainers. Whether it was the festivals I’ve done, but even more important than those festivals, to me, is what we’re doing tonight: being on the stage and performing. Singing and giving spirit to the room. That, to me, is what I think I’m best at.

http://www.examiner.com/article/perry-s ... ry-farrell
“I’ve got some advice for old people, you either keep fucking dancing or die.” - Perry Farrell
abstracterika
Luddite

Post by abstracterika »

Hey, everyone. :) This is my first post here, but I will find somewhere else to introduce myself!

I wanted to see how other people felt about the Wiltern show... my boyfriend and I were surprised it started & ended so early (last show we went to was at John Anson so I had no idea the whole tour was like this apparently? y/n?) especially since LA is their hometown and it was basically Halloween weekend.

I was also surprised at no "real" encore? Especially since some guy in the audience told us there would be 12 songs and 2 encores (my setlist seems to show the last three songs as the encore, at least I'm assuming so since there's a line drawn there)... Looking around, it seems they didn't really do traditional encores for this tour? Or do you guys think it was just because of the after party? Which I am sad to say I found out about too late (after joining this board!)

Regardless, we met a lot of other longtime JA fans at the show who seemed somewhat disappointed as well. (The crowd ROCKED as usual though, which makes it 100x more fun)

Despite all of that, of course I thought Jane's was AMAZING, but then again, they could never really do wrong by me, to be honest. Although the John Anson show was just EPIC, especially considering I was sitting in the second row.

The review is correct as far as the setlist goes, my boyfriend snagged me a copy from the sound guy. I don't know if you guys keep pictures of that type of thing here, but if so, I can post it?

Down at the bar there was a huge vinyl poster of Perry promoting Dobel tequila that my boyfriend stole for me, lol. I still can't believe he got away with it. :lol:

Oh and yay for my new JA key necklace. The shirts were sorta lame though, at least compared to how nice the 2009 shirts were (design/color-wise).
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

abstracterika wrote:The review is correct as far as the setlist goes, my boyfriend snagged me a copy from the sound guy. I don't know if you guys keep pictures of that type of thing here, but if so, I can post it?
Welcome! And yes, if you can post a picture of it, I'll add it to the tour section. :cheers:
janesaddiction.org