Sounds cool..
helicine
I Fix Shit

Re: 2015.07.07 LC Pavilion, Columbus, OH

Post by helicine »

Here is a review from the Columbus Dispatch

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ction.html
Concert review | Jane’s Addiction: Band melds funk, rock in dizzying blend

The great African drummer Babatunde Olatunji played in what seemed an interminable loop on the sound system before Jane’s Addiction took the stage in the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion on Tuesday night. Unlike most programmed music heard before the headliner, Olatunji caught plenty of ears, creating a surprising tribal spirit in a crowd waiting to witness the return of a classic ’9 0s LA rock quartet.

If the loop began to wear thin as the gap pushed 45 minutes, Jane’s Addiction made up for the wait, creating a dizzying blend of funk and rock-and-roll, much of which revisited the band’s 1988 album Nothing’s Shocking. A classic collection of Los Angeles pre-grunge, it flew anew thanks to the spectacular trio behind lead singer Perry Farrell, which included original guitarist Dave Navarro and drummer Stephen Perkins, as well as longtime bassist Chris Chaney.

Tuesday night, the three sounded like the hardest thing this side of Led Zeppelin.

Farrell was more of a ringleader, albeit one who likely imagined this whole thing in the first place. (During break-ups for the band, Farrell was the bright guy behind the original Lollapalooza Festival.)

Tuesday night, his pinched vocals, as unique and branding for the group’s sound as they were, took a back seat. Static onstage compared with, say, the Stones’ Mick Jagger, he spent a lot of time twiddling knobs on a synthesizer bank of controls and reacting like a kid who put his finger in the light socket.

It mattered not, though. If Farrell is not exactly Robert Plant, the other three make a good suggestion of Led Zeppelin.

From Ocean Size early on, Navarro was on fire, playing runs that sometimes sounded like caricatures of Zep’s Robert Plant and other times might have made the master blush. Chaney dug deep into the beat, pulling the groove from a deep, dark place.

Perkins was like an animal in songs such as the album’s title track, shirtless and unleashing delicious violence on his kit.

Directing it all, though, was Farrell, a frontman with mysterious power onstage who can transfix with very little effort.

Deadline called before the end of what has in other recent shows been a rather short set. Surely it wasn’t one that failed to satisfy when the smoke cleared.

LA compatriots Failure came on before with a set forged from the nexus between post-punk and grunge.
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

janesaddiction.org
bman
Music Machine

Post by bman »

So good or bad?? Was Perry into? He stood still all night? Fun show or just average?
Mingo424
Be Live

Post by Mingo424 »

Yes it did end up being a packed show by the time Jane's took stage. I wondered what was going on w Dave. (Prob was Perry bus issues you mentioned above). He seemed to stay out of the light a lot (or so it seemed)..and just generally speaking the Lightning was terrible. The stage was stripped down Af.
The show was pretty great though. My son thoroughly enjoyed the show (his first JA show). He wasn't a huge Jane's fan prior (always liked them) but now LOVES them. (Proud mom moment). He couldn't get over what an amazing performer Perry was.
Dave "made friends" (I think) with this pretty little blonde just over 18 yr old in the front row w her mom (?) who was right in front of me. She was smiling at him and he was smiling back. He came down to touch her hand and whisper something her midway through the show. Then near the end they were "I love you"-inch back and forth to one another. Afterwards Dan came and gave her a bottle of water and said something so idk where that all headed lol
The security guy handed my husband a drumstick and the guy next to us latched onto it. My husband was like "should I break it or let it go" and I'm like "let it go - fuck it" and so I said to the couple who we "gave" it to if another comes this way to let us have it. Wouldn't you know, after the show, the guy got another from another security guy and stuffed it in his pocket (which looked uncomfortable). I was disappointed. I would have loved one to add to my collection and well, would have shared w them (if I already had one). Idk guess that's the diff in the nature of ppl.
I'll have to check for your recording. My pics look so-so (iPhones and LC lighting don't agree w one another). I'll try to get some uploaded if they look ok. I'm still in recovery mode as well (late JA night and adult braces put on yesterday. Bleh)
Mingo424
Be Live

Post by Mingo424 »

What did you guys think of Failure?
I thought they were ok..reminded me of STP and Bush morphed together.
I did think RadKey was badass! I believe my son said the oldest was 18? Youngest (drummer) was 15. I was impressed that at those ages they had landed opening act for Jane's and sounded like that; reminded me of a modern day Lenny Kravitz sound.
intertwoven
Jedi

Post by intertwoven »

Bring on Ritual! I'm over NS live at this point.
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

Mingo424 wrote:What did you guys think of Failure?
I thought they were ok..reminded me of STP and Bush morphed together.
I did think RadKey was badass! I believe my son said the oldest was 18? Youngest (drummer) was 15. I was impressed that at those ages they had landed opening act for Jane's and sounded like that; reminded me of a modern day Lenny Kravitz sound.
Lead singer definitely reminded my wife and I of Bush.

We totally missed RadKey - I think we walked in the door just as their set ended.
janesaddiction.org
helicine
I Fix Shit

Post by helicine »

another ticket scan:
janesaddiction.org
ballsdeep
Power Tools

Post by ballsdeep »

setlist?